Government response to petition 'Mindsports'

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Majer

Government response to petition 'Mindsports'

Post by Chris Majer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:58 pm

The following petition had been sent to the PM:
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Require all Government Departments to give Mind Sports such as Chess and Go equivalent status with physical sports."

Details of Petition:

"The mind sports, such as Chess and Go deserve equal status with the physical sports, which would provide easier access to funding. Mind sports bring great benefits in terms of personal development, social interaction and improved attitiudes to learning, and are accessible to all members of society. This petition seeks to improve their status by requiring all Government departments to treat mental and physical sports on an equal basis."
The Prime Minister's Office has responded to that petition and you can view
it at: http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page14994.asp
Prime Minister's Office
Petition information - http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Mindsports/

For convenience I give it below:
The Government recognises the important role that mind sports play in the lives of many people, and appreciates they help to combat social exclusion. However, it remains that decisions on whether particular activities and pastimes should be recognised as sports for official and funding purposes are made by unanimous agreement between the home country sports councils. As such it would be inappropriate for Government to intervene.
:(
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Chris Stratford

Re: Government response to petition 'Mindsports'

Post by Chris Stratford » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Politicians prevaricating and sitting on the fence. Who would have believed it?

Does anyone know if the petition will be redirected to the home country sports councils?
Huddersfield Chess Club
(Former Upminster CC member of the 70s)

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:51 am

It probably already has been, but it'll have been dismissed like usual...

I don't know about anyone else, but I was livid and started swearing at everything in sight when I opend the email and read the response from the government... :x
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:01 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:It probably already has been, but it'll have been dismissed like usual...

I don't know about anyone else, but I was livid and started swearing at everything in sight when I opend the email and read the response from the government... :x
Why? Chess clearly isnt a sport, so why are we trying to pretend that it is? Its a mindgame - different thing. Should mind games receive community funding like sports do? Yes!! But that's a different thing entirely.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Nigel Wright wrote:It probably already has been, but it'll have been dismissed like usual...

Why? Chess clearly isnt a sport, so why are we trying to pretend that it is? Its a mindgame - different thing. Should mind games receive community funding like sports do? Yes!! But that's a different thing entirely.
Is chess a sport? I have 3 brothers, My eldest brother Ian plays chess and my youngest and second oldest do not play in a league. The two who do not take part in the league say chess is not a sport, but Ian and myself say it is deffinitely a sport.

The UK Government do not see chess as a sport but the IOC does. A greater man than I, by the name of Antonio Fattorini, once said "anything you have to train for to give a man a competitive edge is sport in its self". The hardest part about this debate is the sports which do not require total fitness: Darts, Golf, Snooker. Then the countries that do see chess as a sport, that list is huge.

So its down to opinion, the current Sports Minister wants to make chess a sport, the only way he can do that is if a lot of MP's write to him and ask him to do so. The "Mindsports Petition" was to ask if the Government would over rule the Sports Ministers of old and make a new classification so chess and others could benefit. It was a long shot but well worth taking.

The best step forward we can do to help make chess a sport is to get each MP to write to the Sports Minister asking him to make chess a sport, then it can go before committee, this will give the ECF chance to argue our case.

What difference will it make. At the moment Bradford DCA can get £250.00 from the local council per year, but it is very hard to get. As a sport Bradford DCA will have available £20k to £30k per year for many different types of funding, but still £5k worth of kit goes a long way. £2k travel costs helps the car drivers. £500 of Insurance, £2.5k worth of printing funding. All of these are avilable in every area but only to sports.

Keep trying ECF. :)
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion