Closest match to Christmas

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Closest match to Christmas

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi guys, I thought of a little Christmas merriment for all.
Who has played a game closest to Christmas Day, not blitz though.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Re: closest match to Christmas

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Joey Stewart wrote: Who has played a game closest to Christmas Day, not blitz though.
The Islington weekender of 1979 was on December 21st, 22nd and 23rd. A club night scheduled for the 23rd would probably go ahead as normal.

The record would be held by participants in the Groningen tournament which spans Christmas. In the year when it was the FIDE championship knock-out, Adams and Short had to play their rapid-play tie break on Christmas Day. In this year's World Junior, play takes place tomorrow, although the 25th, but not the 26th is a rest day.

It's common in Europe, if not the UK, to have a post Christmas tournament starting on the 26th.

Ian Thompson

Re: Closest match to Christmas

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Hi guys, I thought of a little Christmas merriment for all.
Who has played a game closest to Christmas Day, not blitz though.
I've played at Groningen several times so I've played 9 games on either Christmas Eve or Boxing Day.
Roger de Coverly wrote:The record would be held by participants in the Groningen tournament which spans Christmas.
It's more likely to be held by someone playing in a non-Christian country that doesn't celebrate Christmas, e.g. the FIDE calendar has a tournament in Nepal that starts on 25 December.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 am

Those don't count - if they don't believe in it then they cannot come close to it at all.
The Christmas eve and boxing Day ones sound as close as you can be.

What sort of sadist organised a tournament deliberately to make shirt and Adams miss Christmas (plus those poor unfortunates who had to open up the venue, probably against their will)
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:22 am

Joey Stewart wrote:What sort of sadist organised a tournament deliberately to make shirt and Adams miss Christmas (plus those poor unfortunates who had to open up the venue, probably against their will)
In a manner of speaking it was the FIDE President who wanted the FIDE world champion determined by a knock-out. Groningen offered to host the event but scheduling requirements to have the winner meet Karpov at the IOC headquarters required Christmas Day tie-breaks.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:14 am

The 7th game of the match between Morphy and Anderssen in Paris took place on 25th December 1858.

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:16 am

World Youth Chess Championships 2013 - today's match!

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Closest I have got was playing on 20th December last year.

This year I managed to arrange a fixture in the last week the club was open before Christmas, I guessed it wasn't too popular!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:54 am

Related: birthdays.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 am

JustinHorton wrote:Related: birthdays.
I reckon I've played 17 games on my birthday, mainly due to local tournaments taking place over the weekend of my birthday, so I've played 2 or 3 games on one birthday several times.

Gordon Cadden

Re: closest match to Christmas

Post by Gordon Cadden » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:24 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Joey Stewart wrote: Who has played a game closest to Christmas Day, not blitz though.
The Islington weekender of 1979 was on December 21st, 22nd and 23rd. A club night scheduled for the 23rd would probably go ahead as normal.

The record would be held by participants in the Groningen tournament which spans Christmas. In the year when it was the FIDE championship knock-out, Adams and Short had to play their rapid-play tie break on Christmas Day. In this year's World Junior, play takes place tomorrow, although the 25th, but not the 26th is a rest day.

It's common in Europe, if not the UK, to have a post Christmas tournament starting on the 26th.
The organising committee in Abu Dhabi had originally planned to play on the 25th. December, but were advised that many chess players in the Western World, celebrate a Festival on that day.

JonManley

Post by JonManley » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:34 pm

John Emms has written a funny article about playing chess on your birthday http://www.kingpinchess.net
http://www.kingpinchess.net 'the gutter press of chess' (Eric Schiller)
@KingpinEd