Nice Combination

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Burrows

Nice Combination

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:32 am

Yesterday at the 4NCL, I played a nice combination to beat perhaps my strongest ever opponent. My Fide rating is artificially low due to 2 tournaments where i partook in extra-curricular activities - but 400 points is 400 points. He said afterwards that I am the lowest rated opponent he has lost to in 15 years!

I am unashamedly showing it to anyone with a pair of eyes, including my unfortunate girlfriend who humoured me by looking through it last night!

MartinCarpenter

Re: Nice Combination

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:16 am

Nice :) Hope you're not berating yourself for going into that (totally won) ending rather than more tactics.

Gap 'only' 30 pts (240) going by coverted ECF but still a very good achievement in those terms.

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Better to win a piece than to give mate, as Botvinnik apparently said.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Nick, just played through the game, very nice! 21.Rxc5 deserves the exclamation, when did you see the capture? what were your thoughts from then on? An exclamation does not quite say it all.
Coincidently I faced a Reti opening in a league match last night, I have not had one for a long time and felt on strange ground, I tried to create something with 15..c5, but my opponent offered a draw on move 20 when I incorrectly thought I stood worse, here it is for your perusal
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Ian Stephens wrote:Hi Nick, just played through the game, very nice! 21.Rxc5 deserves the exclamation, when did you see the capture? what were your thoughts from then on? An exclamation does not quite say it all.
Hi Ian, I only saw it after 20..Bf8 as this was a move I had not considered. I expected ..Rf8. My thoughts from then on went something like "Holy sh*t, I can't believe I'm gonna beat this excellent player!" Luckily I had plenty of time to stay calm and remain on guard, after the combo the position is very easy and kind of played itself. Looking at it now it is quite simple, at the time it felt like I had just discovered gravity :P It's attractive because the 2 squares the queen uses to attack the kingside are covered at the start of the sequence.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Two more great combinative vignettes from my Oxford team mates:

Spectacular play from Justin starting with 40..Nc3!

and a pintastic effort from Mike Healy starting with 34.g4 !

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:05 pm

76. Kf5 is a strange move in the first game, the natural 76. g5 draws according to the tablebase.