Incredible crosstable!

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Incredible crosstable!

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Several of the championship and promotion/relegation pool places have been decided in divisions 1 and 2:

Division 1a:

http://4nclresults.co.uk/static/4ncl/xtab-div1a.html

If Barbican 2 beat King's Head in round 7, that would confirm the final championship/relegation split. It looks unlikely that much will change in division 1a.

Division 1b:

http://4nclresults.co.uk/static/4ncl/xtab-div1b.html

The winner of the 3Cs 1 vs Barbican 1 clash in round 7 will likely go into the championship pool, though a draw may be enough for 3Cs 1.

Division 2a:

http://4nclresults.co.uk/static/4ncl/xtab-div2a.html

Similar to the division 1a table in that the top three are already guaranteed to be in the promotion pool. They will be joined by the winner of the Bristol 1 vs KJCA Kings round 7 clash (or by Bristol 1 if that match is drawn).

Division 2b:

http://4nclresults.co.uk/static/4ncl/xtab-div2b.html

This is the really close division table (it was close last time and is still close now), with only 4 game points separating the bottom 7 teams (The ADs have dominated with 6 straight wins). I think any of the teams currently in positions 2-6 could still get into the promotion pool in the win in round 7, though some would need to win heavily.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Division 2b:

http://4nclresults.co.uk/static/4ncl/xtab-div2b.html

This is the really close division table (it was close last time and is still close now), with only 4 game points separating the bottom 7 teams (The ADs have dominated with 6 straight wins). I think any of the teams currently in positions 2-6 could still get into the promotion pool in the win in round 7, though some would need to win heavily.
I make it any of the teams in positions 2-7, although the team in 7th need to win and to have at least one other result go their way, and catch up on game points.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:22 am

For Bradford DCA I've calculated that we need to win at least 5.5-2.5 to guarantee overtaking BCM Dragons. This would either get us into the promotion pool or at least ensure that we carry forward game points from BCM into the relegation pool.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:04 am

Andrew Bak wrote:For Bradford DCA I've calculated that we need to win at least 5.5-2.5 to guarantee overtaking BCM Dragons. This would either get us into the promotion pool or at least ensure that we carry forward game points from BCM into the relegation pool.
Don't go - stay with us! You can always go for the promotion pool next year if you want to :twisted:

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:14 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
In the first division pools, the top three qualifiers already seem reasonably clear but there is room for a prolonged struggle for fourth in each.
Spoke too soon? ;) Barbican 1 in the relegation pool (it's out of your hands and reliant on other results, I think) causes unexpected complications... I sense a massive dogfight looming over the last relegation spot. Or last two if Cambridge University manage to get their act together for the final matches.

(just out of interest, in the rather unlikely, yet possible, event of Barbican 1 being relegated with Barbican 2 preserving their position - do the rules allow (or even require?!) the designation of the respective teams to be switched?)
Yes, well, I am not sure how I am going to phrase my next Club circular email! It is out of the first team's hands, but only to some extent: one might reasonably surmise it to be unlikely that White Rose will beat Guildford 2, and we can have no complaints if they do.

In your hypothetical (which a few years ago, might have come about when Barbican 2 needed to win on the last day to stay up but Barbican Youth would have been promoted if they won) the answer (I think) is that it is the Club as a whole which has the various slots in the divisions, not the teams by themselves. That is, in your terms, the rules would allow the designations to be switched. Forgive me for not worrying too much about that. If the first team don't make it out of this pool, they will at least carry 6/6 with them!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
In the first division pools, the top three qualifiers already seem reasonably clear but there is room for a prolonged struggle for fourth in each.
Spoke too soon? ;)
Actually, what I said last time has proven to be quite accurate, no?!

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Jonathan, If Barbican 1 need any advice on how to qualify for the championship pool. Please feel free to ask :wink:
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Jonathan, If Barbican 1 need any advice on how to qualify for the championship pool. Please feel free to ask :wink:
The next weekend cannot come soon enough :roll:

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
In your hypothetical (which a few years ago, might have come about when Barbican 2 needed to win on the last day to stay up but Barbican Youth would have been promoted if they won) the answer (I think) is that it is the Club as a whole which has the various slots in the divisions, not the teams by themselves. That is, in your terms, the rules would allow the designations to be switched. Forgive me for not worrying too much about that. If the first team don't make it out of this pool, they will at least carry 6/6 with them!
Well in that case i'm going to confidently predict wins for 3Cs and Cambridge University and at least a draw for White Rose in the next round... ;)

BTW, combine those not totally implausible results with a Wood Green 2 victory over Blackthorne Russia and the relegation pool would commence with six teams on 4pts and two on 0. Pick the relegated teams from that!