European Individual Seniors (50+) Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Keith Arkell

European Individual Seniors (50+) Championship

Post by Keith Arkell » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:07 am

Hi all.

From the 8th to the 22nd March I'm representing England in the European Seniors ( 50+) Individual Championship, and I have a favour to ask:

There are no conditions for anybody from the hosts and the ECF hasn't got any money, so my costs will be rather hefty with flights and trains £230; Fees 120 Euros and accommodation 80 x 14 Euros ( players must stay in the designated hotel).

Therefore, I'm looking for private sponsorship. I'd be really grateful for any contributions, no matter how large or small, to ease the burden of these costs.

The prize money isn't very good, and frankly my only motive for playing is for glory. This is the first year they have made it over 50s and the longer I leave it the worse my chances will become.

To avoid any perceived difficulties involved in giving my bank details online, please email me at:
[email protected]

I'm intending to publish a list of names of contributors, so please would you let me know if you wish to remain anonymous.

Cheers and thanks very much.
Keith Arkell

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.fpx.pt/escc2014/index.php/competition
Last edited by Keith Arkell on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Matthew Turner

Re: European Individual Seniors (50+) Championship

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 am

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to publish bank details online?

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I'm not sure if it is a good idea to publish bank details online?
No, it's not. Fraudsters can use them to set up direct debits and the banks seem either unwilling or unable to do anything about it other than refund any money when you tell them about it. The scale of the problem is outlined in this article from 2011.

I know of one organisation that had a persistent problem with this. A change of bank proved to be the only solution.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Keith

I just emailed your Bank details to some bloke in Nigeria. Expect a deposit of £10,000,000 shortly.

(But seriously, I'm surprised you're allowed out alone :shock: )

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:56 pm

David, many a true word...
Recently an elderly couple who had been totally scammed of about £200,000 (on the promise of receiving £600,000+ from India) were threatened with arrest as they had started to use their empty bank a/cs to help launder the scammers' ill-gotten gains.
Suggest that if Keith receives said sum from any source he extracts a reward fee sufficient to cover his costs for this chess event before calling in the fraud squad.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 pm

David Robertson wrote:But seriously, I'm surprised you're allowed out alone :shock:
I have removed the account details so please contact Keith via PM or email if able to help :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:There are no conditions for anybody from the hosts, the ECF hasn't got any money
The ECF must have some funds that could be used to help you?Where do all the memberships fees go?Have you asked the ECF for some help towards the cost of going? and if so what was the reply?

I would have thought members of the ECF would not object to you being giving some help towards the event?

I would take down your bank details at once as criminals do look for bank account numbers etc

Time for tea and cake :D
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Keith - Put me down for £50.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:38 pm

I'd better put money where my mouth is and pledge the same amount - £50.
(I'll PM Keith and promise not to misuse any personal info he divulges to me.)

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Keith Arkell wrote: This is the first year they have made it over 50s and the longer I leave it the worse my chances will become.
I can understand the urgency. That young whippersnapper called Short will be eligible in the not too distant future!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:26 pm

I am pleaaed to say thay Keith has contacted me and I will be making the arrangements on Wed.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Off to bank/PO to send Keith the promised donation. It's like sending him into European chess space - we may not all be able to go but we can send a great representative if we all give what we can afford.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:33 am

Donation to Keith's European 50+ Championship expendition has been sent.
It may take a day or two to arrive. I'll you know how it goes.
Edit: Keith will let me know when it arrives.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks John, I'll confirm it's arrival when I get back from this event I'm doing in Cannes.

Thanks also to those others who have also got the ball rolling. Much appreciated.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks, Keith, for that update on your progress.
A warm-up tournament (or two?) is very good preparation for the main event
Wish I was a good enough player to justify the outlay and participate myself.
Perhaps I will one day in the near future.
Also, thanks for the link, above, to the Senior Ch.
I will be following the action as much as poss.

NB: My brother told me that an American IM once tried to raise 25,000 dollars by public appeal in order to come to Europe for a month to play in a series of events culminating in the World Senior Ch. He never made it, bu :P t you are on your way - to the Euros - and the best of British luck to you, sir!