But is it Shrove Tuesday?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Jonathan Rogers

But is it Shrove Tuesday?

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 am

The shops everywhere are selling pancake and mix, because today is the day. Everyone says so. No doubt Carol Williams is making home made pancakes for her gourmand husband, who will soon tell us what his topping will be.

But shouldn't it be next week, if it is supposed to be 40 days before Easter, which this year is the 20th April? Anyone?

Roger de Coverly

Re: But is it Shrove Tuesday?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote: But shouldn't it be next week, if it is supposed to be 40 days before Easter, which this year is the 20th April? Anyone?
Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent.
A Google of "dates of Lent 2014" establishes that Sundays do not count when adding up the 40 days. Not something I knew.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 am

I believe an arbiter's decision should be final in such matters :lol:

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:14 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote: But shouldn't it be next week, if it is supposed to be 40 days before Easter, which this year is the 20th April? Anyone?
A Google of "dates of Lent 2014" establishes that Sundays do not count when adding up the 40 days. Not something I knew.
Ah, I knew that 40 days ran from the next day, but not that we don't count any of the Sundays between now and Easter!

Gheesh, who did know that?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Ah, I knew that 40 days ran from the next day, but not that we don't count any of the Sundays between now and Easter!
Gheesh, who did know that?
LawrenceCooper wrote:I believe an arbiter's decision should be final in such matters :lol:
What a temptation to comment!

That Lent actually lasts 46 days was something I realised many years ago, when I discovered that I had to manage for an extra week without what I was giving up for Lent.

On enquiry I discovered that Sundays were "feast days" and did not count.

This has always struck me as bit odd. The forty days is supposed to replicate Jesus Christ's time in the wilderness and there is no suggestion in the Bible that he took the Sabbath Days off.

However, my church, along with other churches in Croydon, has distributed a booklet entitled "47 Days of Prayer for Lent", culminating on Easter Sunday itself. So no Sundays off for me - rather the reverse.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:58 am

I joked many years ago about giving up the Elepahant Gambit for Lent - and then played it on the first day at Southend without thinking.

All right then, what are we all giving up for Lent this year?!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Lent itself...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:All right then, what are we all giving up for Lent this year?!
Chess politics would be nice, but probably (like chocolate) unrealistic :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:34 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:The forty days is supposed to replicate Jesus Christ's time in the wilderness and there is no suggestion in the Bible that he took the Sabbath Days off.
He probably did, you know. He was a fully paid-up member of the NUM - the National Union of Messiahs (since you were about to ask).
Jonathan Rogers wrote:All right then, what are we all giving up for Lent this year?!
Goose omelette

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Probably a few grading points

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:The shops everywhere are selling pancake and mix, because today is the day. Everyone says so. No doubt Carol Williams is making home made pancakes for her gourmand husband, who will soon tell us what his topping will be.

But shouldn't it be next week, if it is supposed to be 40 days before Easter, which this year is the 20th April? Anyone?

I blame Andrew Paulson.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:The shops everywhere are selling pancake and mix, because today is the day. Everyone says so. No doubt Carol Williams is making home made pancakes for her gourmand husband, who will soon tell us what his topping will be.
The topping for the pancakes that Carol will make are Maple Syrup lemon with a dash of sugar.Shame your never get to taste Carol wonderful cooking :wink:
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:28 pm

The topping for the pancakes that Carol will make are Maple Syrup lemon with a dash of sugar.Shame your never get to taste Carol wonderful cooking
Peter,

the only way to sort that out is for you to invite us all round!

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:
Peter,

the only way to sort that out is for you to invite us all round!
No sorry i can not do that unless you all make me your first choice as President of the ECF. Peter is 18 today so he get extra pancakes :D
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Peter, any chance of a takeaway?