2014 EUROPEAN SENIORS CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Sean Hewitt

Re: 2014 EUROPEAN SENIORS CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:11 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Whoa there. This is a complete myth!
I don't think I'm exaggerating. Of course it's easily enough proven or disproven if we can get data from local congresses - all entrants need to divulge their date of birth for grading purposes so a breakdown of age of entrants would be easy enough.

Sean may choose not to believe me but I am willing to state as a FACT that in every event I've played in over 60s have been in the majority. Certainly the number of entrants in their 20s and 30s can normally be counted on my fingers - in some cases the fingers of one hand. I'm prepared to concede I might be playing in the wrong places.
I have last years grading data. A quick check.reveals that last season 3 had more players over 60 playing than under 60 (excluding seniors only events) whilst more than 140 had more players under 60.

As I said, its a myth that most congress players are over 60.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:13 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:I have last years grading data. A quick check.reveals that last season 3 had more players over 60 playing than under 60 (excluding seniors only events) whilst more than 140 had more players under 60.
It may need a little more investigation.

Data quality - How many players are there where the ECF doesn't have date of birth? That is likely to be biassed in favour of older players.
How does it look in terms of sections rather than events? An Open with a majority over 60 is still unlikely although heading that way. If an event doesn't attract juniors, it can be the lower sections that contain the older players.

Given that to a younger player, even over 50s may look ancient, how does the statistic change for over 50 rather than over 60?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Obviously I started this this by making a bold statement, Sean has disproved it so I will happily retract the statement. I was rather laying down the gauntlet.

However it would be interesting to break down the age range of entrants to various events and see what the make up is (ie how many 20-29, 30-39 etc). If (as I suspect) the number of entrants dwindles as you get down the age range then my basic point still holds. It would also be interesting to compare with tournaments from 10 years ago and 20 years ago - is it the same players getting gradually greyer as the years go on?

Another question would be whether the average age of tournament entrants is generally the same or does it vary? If so, why? Do some events appeal to different age groups.

Finally are there any events (excepting closed events such as student competitions) where at 32 I would not be among the younger entrants? I wouldn't mind playing in one or two.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: It would also be interesting to compare with tournaments from 10 years ago and 20 years ago - is it the same players getting gradually greyer as the years go on?

Depending on which part of the country very much the same players in Opens for the last twenty years or so. Thirty years even. My first loss to Mark Hebden was in 1982.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:Finally are there any events (excepting closed events such as student competitions) where at 32 I would not be among the younger entrants? I wouldn't mind playing in one or two.
The Birmingham Rapidplay currently boasts entries from 16 juniors out of the 50 (might be a few out due to miscounting) received so far. It has a couple of other university students. There's at least 2 other 20somethings.

At the other end of the spectrum, an 80-year old entered today.

I'm grateful that you asked this question to prompt me to check, because my database revealed at least one entrant allegedly born in 2013. :oops:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: Finally are there any events (excepting closed events such as student competitions) where at 32 I would not be among the younger entrants? I wouldn't mind playing in one or two.
You would best avoid the Guernsey Holiday tournament starting next week. On the current entry list, 30 out of 47 players are classified as Senior or Veteran. Of the remaining players, there are 4 juniors and 13 adults.

The Open has 27 veterans and 2 Juniors out of 69. I don't think the tournament has been running quite long enough that players first entering as Juniors are now veterans, but it must be getting close.

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:12 pm

The regulations for the 2014 European Seniors Championship have been published.

http://escc2014.fpx.pt/index.php/regulations

Craig Pritchett

Post by Craig Pritchett » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Ken, I don't want to be too cautious (and I know that these regulations, drafted by the tournament organiser, "exist" ... and have been part of recent process that has helped sort out the application of the new "Senior 50+" age applicability for the event). BUT these regs have still not yet been backed up by a final PUBLIC link at the ECU (or FIDE) calendars!?

I have asked the organiser to do this (with the ECU) and wish that were, so that instead of maybe 90% certain, the event and all dates, costs etc all become 100%.

The same problem arises with Euro seniors team event (shortly after elsewhere). Except that here I am as yet still unaware of any draft of the final regulations, never mind any ECU link to back up the summary info that announces the event currently at the ECU website!

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:04 am

Craig,

You are correct.

Nobody should take any action until the regulations are published on the ECU website and the official website for the European Seniors Championships as activated.

Craig Pritchett

Post by Craig Pritchett » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 pm

I have been in touch with the ECU and the regs for the Euro senior individual champs incorporating new "Senior 50+" and "Senior 65+" groups for men in the "Open" sections (previously males, but not women had to be "over-60" to be "seniors"; women seniors were "over-50s") have now indeed just appeared at the ECU website.

The ECU also assured me that it would attempt to sort out the link to full and final regulations for the Euro senior team champs by close tomorrow Tuesday. It seems that this event will probably apply the "old" age limits ("over-60" for men and over-50 for women). But interested parties must really watch that ECU website space for the actual published regulations!!

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 pm

The European Seniors Championship is now on the Fide Calendar 2014.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:57 pm

For the record, pointing out in this thread that a multi-page thread on this tournament is here:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6296

The results in the main events for ENG participants were:

50+
1. Keith C. Arkell 7/9
29. Geoff R. Hermes 3.5/6

65+
22. Geoffrey H. James 5/9
28. Norman A. Hutchinson 5/9
40. Anthony C. P. Milnes 4/9

http://www.fpx.pt/escc2014/index.php/co ... /standings

(No ENG women, only 10 women took part in each of the 50+ and 65+ events)
(Three from SCO took part, all in the 50+ Open: Pritchett Craig W [5.5/9], Giulian Philip M [4/9], and Mckerracher Douglas [3.5/9])
(No WLS or IRL participants as far as I can tell)