IOVPS Service is Crap!

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Carl Hibbard

Re: IOVPS Service is Crap!

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Simon Spivack wrote:It seems that the msbs of quite a few bytes have disappeared. Perhaps a consequence of an undesirable utf -> ascii conversion. For instance, at
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3211 the Russian text has been replaced by gibberish.

There is a snapshot at http://web.archive.org/web/201404101257 ... um.org.uk/ . It is incomplete. Would it be possible to use this to replace some of the posts made before 10 April 2014? To given an example of the difference, the link given in the first paragraph looks like: http://web.archive.org/web/201210190215 ... 5a4cf5877c .
Yes I agree I am missing something, it has always been a UTF-8 site.

I have a problem with the surname O'C logging in as well so ideas welcomed on both points as normally I would sort this quickly.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed May 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Mrs Palivec burst into tears and concentrating all her misery on to a special stress on every word groaned out:
'A week ago he-got-ten-years.'
'There you are then,' said Sveik, 'so he's already served seven days of it.'
Words such as "émigré" show up as "émigré" in the affected posts. The utf value for é is 0xe9, in binary that is 1110 1001; thus to obtain the utf-8 representation we have 110 (two byte representation) 00011 (msbs) 10 (trailing byte) 101001 (lsbs), that is 0xc3a9. Now digging out a Latin-1 table, for instance here, one observes how 0x0c and 0xa9 make their unwelcome appearance as é.

For some reason, some of the text is being rendered as Latin-1, not utf-8. What I don't understand is the how. The good news is that the data may all be present.

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Wed May 07, 2014 5:57 pm

It's a few years since I worked with databases regularly, but I've seen problems like these if UTF-8 encoded content is used to populate database tables that are set to latin1.

So you might have to recreate the new database tables as UTF-8 and repopulate, if you still have the dump from the old db. It's unlikely any data has been lost.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 08, 2014 7:20 pm

Simon Ansell wrote:It's a few years since I worked with databases regularly, but I've seen problems like these if UTF-8 encoded content is used to populate database tables that are set to latin1.

So you might have to recreate the new database tables as UTF-8 and repopulate, if you still have the dump from the old db. It's unlikely any data has been lost.
Still the problem is unclear so perhaps the database was not UTF-8 as it is now so going to take a while to resolve :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:.... it is now ... going to take a while to resolve :oops:
Any progress?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Simon Spivack wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:.... it is now ... going to take a while to resolve :oops:
Any progress?
No, it has not even made it far up the list sorry.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Sergey Voronkov wrote:
Это звание Богатырчук, как мы знаем, получил еще накануне олимпиады. Но откуда Леонард Барден почерпнул информацию о том, что он «не будет играть против СССР»? Во всяком случае, не от самого Богатырчука, который в своей книге пишет: «Не знаю, по случайности либо по любезности голландцев, но Канада и СССР играли в различных предварительных группах. Так как Канада в финал не попала, то мне так и не пришлось встретиться за доской с Ботвинником (возможно, что для этого случая меня переместили бы на первую доску). Но я давным-давно свои мосты на пролетарскую родину сжег и поэтому об упущенном счастье нисколько не жалел».
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Testing Testing 1 2 3
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Sergey Voronkov wrote:
Это звание Богатырчук, как мы знаем, получил еще накануне олимпиады. Но откуда Леонард Барден почерпнул информацию о том, что он «не будет играть против СССР»? Во всяком случае, не от самого Богатырчука, который в своей книге пишет: «Не знаю, по случайности либо по любезности голландцев, но Канада и СССР играли в различных предварительных группах. Так как Канада в финал не попала, то мне так и не пришлось встретиться за доской с Ботвинником (возможно, что для этого случая меня переместили бы на первую доску). Но я давным-давно свои мосты на пролетарскую родину сжег и поэтому об упущенном счастье нисколько не жалел».
Testing Testing 1 2 3
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:05 pm

What a pain this all is.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Brendan O`Gorman

Post by Brendan O`Gorman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Greetings from the user formerly known as OapostropheGorman! First FIDE (for a while - they have since opted for a space), then the ECF, and now the forum. Where will apostrophephobia strike next? This phenomenon is almost certainly indirect racial discrimination (it is affecting mostly us Gaels), not that I've so lost my sense of proportion as to make any formal complaint, but it is becoming rather wearing to have to pretend to have a different name than the one I was born with.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Brendan O`Gorman wrote:Greetings from the user formerly known as OapostropheGorman! First FIDE (for a while - they have since opted for a space), then the ECF, and now the forum. Where will apostrophephobia strike next? This phenomenon is almost certainly indirect racial discrimination (it is affecting mostly us Gaels), not that I've so lost my sense of proportion as to make any formal complaint, but it is becoming rather wearing to have to pretend to have a different name than the one I was born with.
There are 10 of you plus another accent and yes I know what a pain, so the problem is not just Russian posts.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Brendan O`Gorman wrote:Greetings from the user formerly known as OapostropheGorman! First FIDE (for a while - they have since opted for a space), then the ECF, and now the forum. Where will apostrophephobia strike next? This phenomenon is almost certainly indirect racial discrimination (it is affecting mostly us Gaels), not that I've so lost my sense of proportion as to make any formal complaint, but it is becoming rather wearing to have to pretend to have a different name than the one I was born with.
I am working on it this will not remain the same but with my holiday on Thursday fast approaching I am losing the will to live on this one.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Brendan O`Gorman

Post by Brendan O`Gorman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Carl,

Don't worry on my account. Would that this were the greatest problem I faced at the moment! As my mother would have said, God send you no greater loss. Enjoy your holiday.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:17 pm

But it's hacking me off now so I cannot go yet.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Brendan O`Gorman wrote:Carl,

Don't worry on my account. Would that this were the greatest problem I faced at the moment! As my mother would have said, God send you no greater loss. Enjoy your holiday.
I reckon I have sorted it now but we will see which version of Brendan arrives!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard