NCCU and the MCF

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MartinCarpenter

Re: NCCU and the MCF

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:08 am

Hummm. I rather doubt if we want armed Lancastrians annexing chess clubs in Manchester :)

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:27 pm

The only way to bridge the gap in this case I believe is to go for a completely fresh start.
To do this you`d need to `park` Lancs and all the historic baggage, move into the 21st C and restart with a new `chess county`, perhaps called Central Lancs, which recognised the present day `boundaries`.
This fresh start would need to have at its centre a spirit of mutual respect and friendly co-oporation between all the northern chess bodies, setting themselves the principle task of working in the best interests of chess in the north.
Much of the friendly co-operation actually exists already and has done for many years, with shared leagues, events and various chess initiatives.
Yes, there will be some overlap, but lets not get too picky about that. It is only at the `county team` level that we just need to avoid disputes, and this should be amicably possible. Central Lancs is a big enough pot to avoid the need to grab `manchester` players. And that has the other plus point of giving those in the heatlands a proper chance to represent the `new` chess county.
Meanwhile, whether the MCF becomes a formal part of the NCCU is not really important. What is important is that all parts of northern chess pull together to ensure good chess is on offer to our local players.
The NCCU has much work to do to rebuild and develop its chess portfolio....but there is much that is good that is already in place to build on. Great leagues, great congresses (Blackpool is this weekend...!! Bolton at Easter, ...Preston, Rapidplays aplenty), and much excellent work going on in junior chess. Then, theres the Woodhouse league, the 4NCL `Northern` superleague (with great venues).... and much much more.
Scarborough and the Lakes Congress events also shout from the roof tops. Such feasts of chess fayre to be enjoyed by all levels and age groups. Lets try to ensure these events and many others get the publicity and support they deserve, and continue to get the essential backing of organisers, chess bodies, arbiters, and other supporters and volunteers, without whom, such events could not function.
I`ve said that some county restructuring might be good, (eg Yorks `east` & `west` and maybe `south` sections), to reinvigourate the counties chess in the north. And one starting point might be the splitting into East-West groups, to ease travel issues. But key is to appoint a good county controller who can get things moving positively on all levels. These events cater for teams at all levels, from `Open` down to U100. Counties need to actively promote these competitions, and encourage new county captains to come forward.
These events actually provide great chess playing opportunities for huge numbers of players, as the MCCU has shown over many years of lively competition. Good neutral venues for some teams/matches can also help.

Good luck with the mission......
BRING BACK THE BCF

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:09 pm

I understood the NCCU AGM was to be held this weekend. Perhaps we can hear what happened?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
PeterFarr wrote:
Brian_Jones wrote:I assume that Jim Tennant-Smith has passed away and all his supporters have better things to do than continue this nonsense more than 25 years after it all began.
You assume wrongly, I believe.
Wrongly on both counts as I believe he attended a NCCU meeting last year with a bale of documents relating to this dispute and remains well entrenched within his County.
His death was announced recently on this forum. See the Obituary section.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:28 am

Michael Farthing wrote: His death was announced recently on this forum. See the Obituary section.
This thread has had a few periods of inactivity - you'll notice the post you quote was made in March.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote: His death was announced recently on this forum. See the Obituary section.
This thread has had a few periods of inactivity - you'll notice the post you quote was made in March.
Very good - but is there any info about the NCCU AGM- if indeed it has taken place?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Neil Graham wrote:Very good - but is there any info about the NCCU AGM- if indeed it has taken place?
I am aware that the NCCU AGM has taken place.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
yes, sorry Andrew. I thought I was reading new posts. If you observe the *time* of my post you'll quickly deduce that I was probably a bit influenced by the demon drink.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:17 am

Neil Graham wrote:I understood the NCCU AGM was to be held this weekend. Perhaps we can hear what happened?
I wasn't invited, which seemed like a bad sign, but at least saved me a trip to Bradford

Our application was rejected :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:I understood the NCCU AGM was to be held this weekend. Perhaps we can hear what happened?
I wasn't invited, which seemed like a bad sign, but at least saved me a trip to Bradford

Mick, I am sorry that you weren't even accorded the courtesy of an invite to the NCCU General Meeting. As neither of us were at the meeting, we cannot comment on who attended or what occurred and, to date, no other forum member has been able to give any details.

I am not surprised at the result - the NCCU Constitution is so phrased that the Manchester Chess Federation will never be admitted. Obviously your next move I leave with you but I hope to see more Manchester teams in the MCCU Counties tournament next year where I have some unfinished business at the Under 160 level! :) . As far as I am concerned you are more than welcome to maintain your affiliation with the Midlands where county chess means county chess.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Mick Norris wrote:

What a loss to the NCCU.
What terrible decisions are made by my representatives.
Who are my representatives?
Have I ever had a whiff of a hint about how to influence their selection?
Have they ever consulted me, or told me what they're doing?
Have they been there since before I was born?
Should I go off in a huff of protest?
Sadly, for Mick, no.
But I promise to ask some questions.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:

What a loss to the NCCU.
What terrible decisions are made by my representatives.
Who are my representatives?
Have I ever had a whiff of a hint about how to influence their selection?
Have they ever consulted me, or told me what they're doing?
Have they been there since before I was born?
Should I go off in a huff of protest?
Sadly, for Mick, no.
But I promise to ask some questions.
I've just googled the Lancashire Chess Association who presumably elect your representatives. I've had a read of their minutes for the last five years and can't find any reference to the MCF dispute at all which suggests that nobody has raised it and opposition is taken as a given (this contrasts with Yorkshire where a vote was taken committing the Association to fight for the MCF's admission to the NCCU).

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:51 pm

It's a difficult problem.
I want to play chess. Lots of chess.
There was an arbiters course close to me recently. Very reasonably priced.
Should I become an arbiter? But then, I'd lose a chess playing weekend.
Do I feel happy with the way things are run? Not about everything - but it ticks along.
Should I enter chess politics? And become like the politicians... Oh dear no. Anyway I can't afford it!
Should I make noises and grunts on the sidelines?
Well, yes, I suppose I should. Through my club I suppose.
But they're a nice bunch of chaps (no chappesses unfortunately) and not spoiling for a fight. They just want to play chess.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 pm

I have the same problem as I have to work most weekends and when a free Saturday presents itself attending chess AGMs isn't that high up the list. Unfortunately this is why the same people and the same ideas become entrenched; those who actually do it for the love are in a very small minority.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:54 pm

It seems silly that Manchester are not in the NCCU.