Conrad Jowett

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Michael Farthing

Conrad Jowett

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Conrad Jowett was taken ill on Friday evening, 6 June 2014, just before the start of the South Lakeland Congress (in which he had participated for many years) and died shortly afterwards. Regrettably my information is limited to what was announced at the Congress on Saturday morning and though I have played against him, I did not really know him. However, in the absence of other contributors I felt his death should be announced. Perhaps others can add something?

Mick Norris

Re: Conrad Jowett

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm

I received this from Dave Cole, Cumbria and NCCU Secretary
You may not have heard, but Conrad Jowett of Stockport club died on Friday at the South Lakes Chess Congress in Grange.
He took ill suddenly , taken to Furness General hospital where he passed away.
Conrad came to the South Lakes with his partner Jenny, who was looked after by the chess wives and other players over the w/e. The congress raised over £400 for Jenny to support her, which touched her greatly.
A great guy and a sad loss to the chess world.

Regards
Dave
I met Conrad briefly at a few Congresses, and liked him, as I think did everyone he met

His son, Peter, plays for Lancs and Spirit of Atticus
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:54 pm

More info of a historic nature
How sad.
Conrad has a place in the history of Bury Chess Club, as one of the organisers of the club's trip to Poland in July 1967. The team was greeted enthusiastically as the first visiting team from outside the Iron Curtain after the war. Travelling in a former Bury Transport bus there were many adventures, including the removal of the top deck of the double-decker bus to negotiate low bridges. Presentation bottles of whisky were very useful!
We remember him as a chess enthusiast.

Bernard Sharples,
President, Bury Chess Club
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Played him when he was a stalwart of the Lytham club back in the 1980s - I was lucky to get away with a draw.

As already mentioned, he seemed well liked by everybody. RIP.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Never met Conrad, but I’ve had a pint with his son Peter a couple of times at congresses. I seem to remember he mentioned his father’s health was in decline. RIP.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker