Acceptable conduct

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paolo Casaschi

Re: Acceptable conduct

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu May 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote: I guess some kind of compulsion to have the pieces exactly at the center of the board.
Ahem. Centre of its square, not the board! (visions of all the pieces crammed into the central four squares)
Ooooops, j'adoube: replace "board" with "square" ;-)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu May 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: I have seen somebody doing the parlour trick of putting all 32 pieces in a column on one square.
For those that don’t believe this is possible ... there’s a photograph of Bill Hartston doing this here:-

http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogsp ... -rest.html

I assume SR is referring to Bill, anyway. I can’t imagine two people have ever done it ;-)
Last edited by Jonathan Bryant on Thu May 08, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu May 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote: I have seen somebody doing the parlour trick of putting all 32 pieces in a column on one square.
For those that don’t believe this is possible ... there’s a photograph of Bill Hartston doing this here:-http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... -rest.html

I assume SR is referring to Bill, anyway. I can’t imagine two people have ever done it ;-)
Well, I bet you found something that Carlsen is not able to do with a chess set :-)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 08, 2014 9:37 pm

I had no idea that Bill could do this parlour trick. It was done by somebody in Las Vegas.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 pm

Oh, such disappointment ... I had this vision of a column of 32 pieces, one after another .... perhaps with the aid of chewing gum

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: ... One insisted that the knights be pointed forward. The other that they be turned sideways on. ....
I noticed this during Anand v Carlsen: Anand places them pointed forward, Carlsen sideways. I don't think they ever adjusted each others pieces, though :-)

FWIW I prefer sideways, like Carlsen, because you can see the shape of the knight more clearly when it's oriented that way! Anand might prefer the pointed forward approach because it is, psychologically-speaking, more aggressive?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:39 pm

I like forward too - feels like they are going forth to battle, not trying to run off the edge of the board away, seems cowardly to me.

Still, sideways is better then some of the weirdness you see - some players put them at an angle, facing different directions, or even backwards!

If there was a law it would be against it!
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Joey Stewart wrote: ... some players put them [...] facing different directions
*SHUDDER* Such behaviour is either reckless indifference OR a deliberate winding up of an opponent with chronic OCD.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:57 pm

My dad taught me to point them forwards when I was five. So that must be right.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:13 pm

For some years I used to keep them pointing at my opponent's king ( though not to the extent of j'adoubing when he moved it ). Not sure why I stopped doing that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:24 pm

This goes in the direction of 'Darmok' the wonderful Startrek episode, in the 'Next Generation' series, that hints at what is wrong with most of the human world, we don't understand each others metaphors.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:31 pm

I was just beginning when 'the Master Game' started on TV. I loved that as a kid.

The knights on the demo board faced left, so I always visualised knights on a board facing left and I always put mine that way since.

I have heard that the knights facing away from each other is bad luck?!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:56 pm

The acceptable response to an opponent putting your pieces facing the way they want is when it is your move to put the pieces facing the way you want.

Only make this in own time.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Surely, out of courtesy, the slit of the bishop's mitre should point towards your opponent?

Amazing. Don't posters realise that the board and set is simply an aide-memoire? Chess is a purely abstract game. Or was until those new-fangled clocks came along.