President of FIDE

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
PeterTurland

President of FIDE

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:53 pm

I think the world champion should automatically become president of FIDE. Then the term president would actually mean something.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: President of FIDE

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:31 pm

PeterTurland wrote:I think the world champion should automatically become president of FIDE. Then the term president would actually mean something.
Well yes, it would mean "world champion". That doesn't mean it's a good idea, though; what is the overlap between the two skillsets that suggests to you that this is a good idea?

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:50 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
PeterTurland wrote:I think the world champion should automatically become president of FIDE. Then the term president would actually mean something.
Well yes, it would mean "world champion". That doesn't mean it's a good idea, though; what is the overlap between the two skillsets that suggests to you that this is a good idea?
A good president should be a good figurehead, it is more of a symbolic position than one requiring any other skill set. I think Carlsen would make an excellent president. It might lead to chess being taken more notice of, the fact that he looks the part helps also.

The very sad state of human affairs, might benefit also. The appalling fact that around a fifth of our species has an insufficient diet, when we have all these nations armed to the teeth, is a criminal waste of resources.
Last edited by PeterTurland on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:19 pm

????

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Is it being suggested that the World Champion should be President, or that Magnus Carlsen should be? These may not always be the same thing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Is it being suggested that the World Champion should be President, or that Magnus Carlsen should be? These may not always be the same thing.
True, what I'm suggesting is, being the best at chess could actually mean something.

To put it another way, what is Ilyumzhinov's grade?

My grade at it's best is around 1600, so I'm crap, but what if I could thrash Ilyumzhinov OTB?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:31 pm

The evidence is the connection between high chess grade (or high chess activity) and high ability in chess administration is not either proportional or inversely proportional
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:38 pm

Anyone playing to such a high level is unlikely to have time for high-level administration. Max Euwe was only president later in his life, even if he did manage to take a world title off someone during his presidency. Imagine how absurd it would be to suggest that a footballer in their prime should stop their career to go into football administration. "Sorry Carlo, I can't play this weekend because I'm busy arranging the venue of the 2026 World Cup."

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:16 am

Richard Thursby wrote:Anyone playing to such a high level is unlikely to have time for high-level administration. Max Euwe was only president later in his life, even if he did manage to take a world title off someone during his presidency. Imagine how absurd it would be to suggest that a footballer in their prime should stop their career to go into football administration. "Sorry Carlo, I can't play this weekend because I'm busy arranging the venue of the 2026 World Cup."
or maybe "Sorry Brendan, I can't play for the next four months - I'm just nipping out for a bite."

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:26 am

I think Ilyumzhinov was closer to 2100. There's some talk of that in Hoffman's King's Gambit, which paints an intriguing picture of the current FIDE president. It should be remembered that Campomanes was a strong IM in his day and still managed to play a bit after his inauguration as president. An rx-world champion would make a better president, at least they would have the time to do the job properly and understand the game and needs of the players more acutely.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:50 am

PeterTurland wrote:A good president should be a good figurehead, it is more of a symbolic position than one requiring any other skill set.
No. The FIDE president is not just a symbolic position; you might confusing FIDE and the ECF.
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article
Having the world champion automatically nominated FIDE president makes no sense.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:41 pm

MJMcCready wrote:I think Ilyumzhinov was closer to 2100. There's some talk of that in Hoffman's King's Gambit, which paints an intriguing picture of the current FIDE president. It should be remembered that Campomanes was a strong IM in his day and still managed to play a bit after his inauguration as president. An rx-world champion would make a better president, at least they would have the time to do the job properly and understand the game and needs of the players more acutely.
Campomanes may well have been IM strength at his peak, but did he ever gain the official title?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:09 am

If chess became more mainstream (puts hands together and prays:) it would generate more funds and could afford more desk wallahs, surely the function of a president is not admin? What needs to happen is, the same kind of thing that used to happen with Beetlemania, except with Magnus. Teaching the young the power of logic, could turn the sows ear, us bumbling bipeds are turning the garden of Eden into, back to what it once was, when the air and the sea were clean.

Oh and BTW, I'm a newly born, three week old granddad, so I'm a bit gung ho!

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Would any world champion have been worse than the current President?

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:Would any world champion have been worse than the current President?
Yes. For example, as much as you think you dislike KI, RJF would have been worse.