Andrew Jonathan Whiteley

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Christopher Kreuzer

Andrew Jonathan Whiteley

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:33 pm

An obituary has been published on the ECF website:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/rip-andr ... -whiteley/

Nick Burrows

Re: Andrew Jonathan Whiteley

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:08 pm

[Event "ENG"]
[Site "ENG"]
[Date "1973.??.??"]
[EventDate "?"]

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Middlesex are having their AGM on Monday night at the Plough. See the details here - http://middlesexchess.blogspot.co.uk/

Andrew was former President (1985-87) and Deputy (1984-85 & 1987-88) and we shall be observing a minutes silence before proceedings begin.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:42 pm

One of the best players in the country at his peak. RIP.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Andrew was very helpful to me 20 to 25 years ago, when I was a relatively young and inexperienced arbiter.

At the time of his death he was one of only six English International Arbiters in FIDE Category C and above.

RIP

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Andrew was acting Technical Editor at Batsford after Paul Lamford's departure and prior to my arrival. He was extremely helpful in the transition period. Bought me a pint at the King's Head and proceeded to thrash me at blitz.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 am

My last meeting with Andrew, was on the 26 June, 2012, at the re-dedication of Zukertorts Memorial in Brompton Cemetery. His health was failing in recent years, but he was on good form that day.
He was a leading member of the old Kings Head Club in Moscow Road, Bayswater.

Mark Page

Post by Mark Page » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:00 pm

I didn't know Andrew at all, but I did once play him in the London League, half a lifetime ago in 1989. The game was adjourned in a very complex position, and he sealed. Before the resumption, though, my flat in Clapham Junction was burgled, and the intruder decided to open the sealed move envelope, presumably hoping to find a postal order from my Auntie Flo or something similar. What could I do, except ring him up and explain, but obviously I had to accept that he could claim the game if he wished. He wouldn't hear of it, so I then said that it would be fine with me if he wanted to change his sealed move (which I hadn't looked at, but he couldn't know whether I was telling the truth). Again, he said he wouldn't take up this option, but I told him that when we resumed the offer would still be open to him. True to his word, when we played on he just stuck with his sealed move - which was not the best - and carried on as though nothing had happened. The game ended in a draw after I missed several golden opportunities to claim an IM scalp, but in retrospect I am glad I didn't play any of the winning moves. His behaviour in not claiming the game, or changing his move, was one of the most generous acts I think I have ever encountered at the board, and I am by no means certain that I would have been as sporting as he was. AJW - RIP

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Nice that this site provides a platform for memories of such a nice guy.

I was lucky enough to spend a few days in Andrew’s company back in the late 1970s. He was great fun, a witty raconteur, and very much someone who enjoyed life.

In those days, he was trying to earn a crust as a solicitor, but remained passionate about his chess, investing most of his weekends on the congress circuit, racking up Grand Prix points for a possible future payday. This particular year, he was battling with David Rumens for the top prize. It was neck-and-neck at the very end of the competition and hearing that Rumens had headed off to Seaham in a last gasp effort to improve his score, he had followed, hoping that he could make a last minute entry. Upon arrival, there was an immediate problem; his inclusion would make an odd number and they would not have an opponent for him. I overheard the discussion and suggested I step up to the Open from the Major, if it helped. When else would I get the chance to play an IM with my modest club player rating? I duly lost on the White side of a Sicilian, but I’ll always remember his kind words after the game.

Later, in the pub, it became obvious he had nowhere to stay. The offer of a couch at my friend’s house was gladly accepted and walking back to the bus stop, we quizzed him about his education, which if I recall correctly, was a degree in the Classics from Oxford. He was quite reserved about the worth of his studies and went so far as to say that the arts no longer interested him. He had since decided to teach himself the sciences. Just then he stopped, looked up at the night sky and without a moment’s pause, proceeded to name all of the stars and constellations that were visible. Clearly, he had already acquainted himself with astronomy, but I got the impression he was fascinated with all aspects of the world around us and less so with the material things that many of us obsess about. His life seemed very simple and uncomplicated; a crumpled suit and a travel bag that was actually just a brief case containing a toothbrush, pyjamas and a Good Beer Guide.

I recall hearing of another occasion when he played in his bare feet. No, he hadn’t become overly eccentric as some may have wondered – his sandals had developed a broken strap and rolled up in a copy of The Times, the defective footwear accompanied him around the tournament venue, at least until he had finished the crossword.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:45 pm

I hardly knew Andrew, but remember him as a fine player. I played him just the once, in the inaugural British Rapid in Leeds. 1986 I think it was. My confidence was high, having beaten John Littlewood; and my feeling was 'another veteran for the taking'. Andrew was not of course a veteran in 1986; I suppose I thought he looked older than he was.

I had the temerity to open 1.b4, and got smashed. It was one of the games which put me off this opening for life.

For me Andrew was part of the almost mythical 60s generation, who had already achieved prominence before the first Fischer - Spassky match. It is possible that he did not quite fulfil his potential as a player, but how many of us actually do? So many things get in the way.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 am

I did not know Andrew very well, but I do remember he was a major driving force behind the Kings Head club at a time when they and London Central YMCA were rivals, and I was on the committee of the Middlesex County Association at the same time as him. I believe that during the 1980's he played for Cavendish in the London League.

If I remember correctly the televised world championship match between Nigel Short and Gary Kasparov at one time showed footage of Andrew at the Kings Head while play was in progress, and commentator Raymond Keene described Andrew as the doyen of the Kings Head club.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:28 am

where did he die? I have dates but no place? Was it Earl's Court?

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:39 pm

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:35 am

British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:32 am