The British itself!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Richard Bates

Re: The British itself!

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
(edit) The second set of live boards appears to have frozen (/edit)
They stopped working hours ago.
It's nothing to do with me this year for the first time in a while.
The hosting, or the novel event of them not working? ;)

Does somebody actually have to mention it on here for Dave to know when it isn't working?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Richard Bates wrote: Does somebody actually have to mention it on here for Dave to know when it isn't working?

As I recall, over the last few years things have been a bit shaky on the live game front for the first few days and then they settle down for the rest of the tournament.

Richard, what’s your take on Fernandez not trying to prevent ... h5 in the rook ending? I was surprised that an IM wouldn’t play g2-g4 on reflex alone. As somebody of that standard yourself, how would you rate your colleagues endgame knowledge in general?

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:33 pm

The screen layout seems really poor too ... Very hard to scroll - I have three scroll bars - the main window, within each board/list of games and within each game. Maybe it's a browser or zoom issue - but much worse than other live coverage I've followed (and with many less games being shown)

Paul

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:Maybe it's a browser or zoom issue - but much worse than other live coverage I've followed (and with many less games being shown)
There's a reference on the site to pgn4web, but if there's an option to use that instead of the DGT presentation, it's not visible.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Richard Bates wrote: Does somebody actually have to mention it on here for Dave to know when it isn't working?
As I recall, over the last few years things have been a bit shaky on the live game front for the first few days and then they settle down for the rest of the tournament.
Perhaps some procedure notes should be maintained ;)
Richard, what’s your take on Fernandez not trying to prevent ... h5 in the rook ending? I was surprised that an IM wouldn’t play g2-g4 on reflex alone. As somebody of that standard yourself, how would you rate your colleagues endgame knowledge in general?
If most IMs have my endgame knowledge then i would rate it pretty poor :lol: My knowledge, such as hasn't disappeared from my memory, was all acquired 20+ years ago. I'm atrocious in endgames these days.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:There's a reference on the site to pgn4web, but if there's an option to use that instead of the DGT presentation, it's not visible.
I noticed the same. I think that reference is a forgotten leftover from last year website, while they do not seem to use pgn4web anymore this year.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Turns out the website is posting phantom results. Back to board 5 for Akshaya.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:09 pm

According to the ECF Twitter feed: Hawkins is the first to 2/2. Nine boards still live from Aberystwyth.
According to the website: 4 Haria, Ravi Haberdashers As 1.0 ENG 2202 IM Hawkins, Jonathan Consett 1.0 ENG 2516 1-0

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Martin Benjamin wrote:According to the ECF Twitter feed: Hawkins is the first to 2/2. Nine boards still live from Aberystwyth.
According to the website: 4 Haria, Ravi Haberdashers As 1.0 ENG 2202 IM Hawkins, Jonathan Consett 1.0 ENG 2516 1-0
Results page has Haria beating Hawkins (he lost). Now has Akshaya drawing with Ward (she also lost). Who knows about results off live boards? Wouldn't like to be a journalist trying to make copy...! One can explain a lack of results caused by web problems. But how the wrong results get shown... something of a mystery :?

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Martin Benjamin wrote:According to the ECF Twitter feed: Hawkins is the first to 2/2. Nine boards still live from Aberystwyth.
Results page has Haria beating Hawkins (he lost). Now has Akshaya drawing with Ward (she also lost). Who knows about results off live boards? Wouldn't like to be a journalist trying to make copy...! One can explain a lack of results caused by web problems. But how the wrong results get shown... something of a mystery :?
It is very confusing and actually puts me off watching as I have no idea if what I am watching is accurate!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Results page has Haria beating Hawkins (he lost). Now has Akshaya drawing with Ward (she also lost). Who knows about results off live boards? Wouldn't like to be a journalist trying to make copy...! One can explain a lack of results caused by web problems. But how the wrong results get shown... something of a mystery :?
The usual reason for wrong results to emerge from live boards is that the Kings are initially mispositioned at the conclusion of the game. Even if the mistake is rectified almost immediately, the damage is done and the intervention of the live boards operator is required.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:00 am

David Sedgwick wrote: The usual reason for wrong results to emerge from live boards is that the Kings are initially mispositioned at the conclusion of the game.
All for the sake of being too clever by half and not willing to design three buttons into the hardware.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:43 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:Results page has Haria beating Hawkins (he lost). Now has Akshaya drawing with Ward (she also lost). Who knows about results off live boards? Wouldn't like to be a journalist trying to make copy...! One can explain a lack of results caused by web problems. But how the wrong results get shown... something of a mystery :?
The usual reason for wrong results to emerge from live boards is that the Kings are initially mispositioned at the conclusion of the game. Even if the mistake is rectified almost immediately, the damage is done and the intervention of the live boards operator is required.
I don't see what relevance that has to the Results page, which is presumably populated independently of what happens on the live boards. (and as i pointed out the Results page managed to show all three results for Akshaya's game at various points, so can't be anything to do with a faulty result from the live boards)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 am

David Sedgwick wrote:The usual reason for wrong results to emerge from live boards is that the Kings are initially mispositioned at the conclusion of the game. Even if the mistake is rectified almost immediately, the damage is done and the intervention of the live boards operator is required.
Richard Bates wrote:I don't see what relevance that has to the Results page, which is presumably populated independently of what happens on the live boards.
Not necessarily - there may be some kind of automatic feed through. However, ...
Richard Bates wrote:(and as I pointed out the Results page managed to show all three results for Akshaya's game at various points, so can't be anything to do with a faulty result from the live boards)
... that does make it likely that my suggested explanation was wide of the mark in this instance.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 am

David Sedgwick wrote: ... that does make it likely that my suggested explanation was wide of the mark in this instance.
At previous championships, players were sometimes required to leave the boards as they were, whether on a live board or not.

But isn't correctly recording results, even on computers, one of the key arbiter skills?