Lecture Course

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Paul McKeown

Re: Lecture Course

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 am

It is now possible to enrol for the course. Please visit the following webpage:http://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/Humani ... ies/Games/.

I would be very much obliged if people did start to enrol, as it helps remove any worries City Lit might have regarding teaching chess, which is a new departure for them.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:57 pm

Paul & Julian,

Best wishes in this venture. Please feel free to post me 20 copies of fliers (I have not got access to a printer) & I will raise at Thames Valley AGM (A.O.B.) on Mon 30th June.

Both of you are very enthusiastic speaking to me & others about chess so you will be able to translate that over your sessions.

I will be on my hols over the summer but happy to give both of you a plug.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:45 am

Thanks, Nick. I have sent you a PM asking for your postal address, to which I will send some flyers.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi everybody. Here is a poster about the courses that Julian and I will be holding at City Lit. Please print out and display at your chess clubs, local libraries, etc. Thanks!
Attachments
Chess poster.pdf
Poster for City Lit Chess Courses
(205.4 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Anyone interested in attending the lecture should PLEASE enrol now. Use the online form: http://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/Humani ... nell/UBD07, by post or in person at City Lit.

So far only 2 people have booked, which isn't enough for it to run. City Lit needs a minimum of 5.

Please let your friends know, too.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Anyone interested in attending the lecture should PLEASE enrol now. Use the online form: http://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/Humani ... nell/UBD07, by post or in person at City Lit.

So far only 2 people have booked, which isn't enough for it to run. City Lit needs a minimum of 5.

Please let your friends know, too.
I've just signed up, so there has been an increase of at least 50% this evening.

I've printed out some of the flyers to take to the Counties Championships Finals on Saturday.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:56 am

David - thanks!

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Anyone interested in attending the lecture should PLEASE enrol now.
I can't give an undertaking until the 18th. Is that too late?

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Paul,

Many thanks for an enjoyable and informative lecture this evening on the Le Bourdonnais - McDonnell match. I look forward to your next effort and would encourage forumites in London to look out for it.

Regards,

Brendan

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:00 am

I'd just like to endorse what Brendan wrote, above, and thank Paul for putting on an excellent lecture.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:56 am

John McKenna wrote:I'd just like to endorse what Brendan wrote, above, and thank Paul for putting on an excellent lecture.
So would I.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks, chaps, for listening. Had a great time and will try to arrange another one, perhaps "London 1851".

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Thanks, chaps, for listening. Had a great time and will try to arrange another one, perhaps "London 1851".
Paul, I'd be interested in that - you made abundantly clear the importance of these great chess events.

During the lecture a number of questions were raised by those in attendance one of which, if memory serves, was - what song might French Royalists, such as Louis Charles De la Bourdonnais (b. 1795 in Ile Bourbon, now Reunion, where his father had been Governor) have sung? Well it seems that the following was a favourite.

Blondel's aria Ô Richard, ô mon roi! (O Richard, O, my King!)

This aria from the Gretry opera, Richard the Lion–Hearted, was adopted by royalists during the early years of the Revolution. The song’s accusation that the king had been abandoned by all but his most devoted followers made it a suitable counter–revolutionary anthem.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks from me too. It was most enjoyable.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Sorry to have missed it. 1851 sounds an excellent idea, so many angles you could take on it.