Future e2e4 events

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Roger de Coverly

Future e2e4 events

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:03 am

Future e2e4 events - are there any? The calendar is now blank.
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderated after complaint raised.

Martin Crichton

Re: Future e2e4 events

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:27 am

Roger

Better email Sean Hewitt.... as I said before e2e4 is one of these events that is a 1 person show. It is completely reliable on Sean. No Sean = no e2e4.

Only speculation here but it does look ominous that the e2e4 site is blank re future events.....

Just a thought... perhaps Sean could sell it to Adam Raoof for £500? or maybe £1000? (it has some goodwill value left) Adam is always keen to run events and I read somewhere (one of Sabrina Chevennes posts I believe) that he offered to run the Richmond rapidplay after Sabrina let it fold up (It is unreasonable to expect that it is still alive after 3-4 years)

e2e4 has (had) afterall a reasonable following.
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moderated after complaint raised.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:13 pm

As these have been considered to be the best tournaments around, it would be nice to know that they will be continued in some form or other.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:33 am

Carl,
What was the nature of the complaint? I had assumed that Roger was talking about a situation in which he was personally involved, or which he had he very direct knowledge. Is the complainant saying the information posted by Roger was untrue? In which case surely it would be better to write a rebuttal

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:54 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Carl,
What was the nature of the complaint? I had assumed that Roger was talking about a situation in which he was personally involved, or which he had he very direct knowledge. Is the complainant saying the information posted by Roger was untrue? In which case surely it would be better to write a rebuttal
The initial couple of comments were more general.

A quick rebuttal could have been posted with the perfectly valid reasons yes.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:05 am

Carl Hibbard wrote: A quick rebuttal could have been posted with the perfectly valid reasons yes.
I took part in an event which advertised a third prize and grading prizes. Having finished third and possibly in line for a grading prize, I was asking why I hadn't received a prize. It turns out the prize fund was reduced to just the top two prizes. Whether this was public knowledge two days ago is another matter. It was at least nominally an ECF event.

I would have thought best and accepted practice to announce changes to the prizes whilst the event is in progress or even before it starts, rather than several months later.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:42 am

Martin Crichton wrote:
Better email Sean Hewitt.... as I said before e2e4 is one of these events that is a 1 person show. It is completely reliable on Sean. No Sean = no e2e4.

I thought some one on here had emailed Sean about future E2 E4 events but as far as i know never got a reply.

If he not running them why not just say so? or is it a state secret :wink:

I also remember when Peter won a prize that we had to remind Sean that he had not sent it,Sean then sent it.

Sean did have a number of people help him with the events so it was not just a 1 person show.The idea and intentions behind the events was good but maybe it was not covering costs for the hotels? but untill Sean breaks his silence we have no idea as to why it appears he not going to run any more events.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Just for the record Sean has been promoted twice in quick succession and work will be demanding I suspect . I am sure he will be back to running events when he can . I would suggest e2e4 events probably don't pay the bills on a regular basis and running events takes a considerable amount of time and effort .

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Paul Robson wrote:Just for the record Sean has been promoted twice in quick succession and work will be demanding I suspect . I am sure he will be back to running events when he can . I would suggest e2e4 events probably don't pay the bills on a regular basis and running events takes a considerable amount of time and effort .
Are you saying that Sean was hoping to pay the bills via running E2 E4 events? has he told you this? As far as i know he run these events for the love of chess so this is new to me.
I would have thought Sean could find time to post on here about why these events are not going to take place as he not been shy in the past about posting on here :wink:

Well time for some wings/ Sir Paul McCartney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRT3V-q_gBI

The Wonder of it all Baby!

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:47 pm

I see on the e2e4 website, we can still enter the Sunningdale Whitsun Congress !

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Peter .

That is not what I said .

I sure if anyone really wants to know about Sean thoughts and intentions they could pick up the phone , dial his telephone number and ask him. There's also FaceTime if you have an iPad or even write a letter. It's rather amazing how many ways one can communicate with others these days .

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Paul Robson wrote:running events takes a considerable amount of time and effort .
Indeed it does, but if there is to be a hiatus for the next season at least, in e2e4 events, how about making a public announcement? Then at least local organisers can plan for an event without looking over their shoulders that e2e4 won't turn up in the same area on the same or adjacent weekends. Surrey Congresses (which is an organisation) got hit by that this year. They avoided their traditional Easter slot because of potential competition from the Sunningdale Open and parallel English Seniors and went for the end May Bank Holiday weekend instead, only to find another e2e4 Sunningdale event on their doorstep for that weekend as well.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Paul Robson wrote:Peter .

That is not what I said .

I sure if anyone really wants to know about Sean thoughts and intentions they could pick up the phone , dial his telephone number and ask him. There's also FaceTime if you have an iPad or even write a letter. It's rather amazing how many ways one can communicate with others these days .
You said "I would suggest e2e4 events probably don't pay the bills on a regular basis and running events takes a considerable amount of time and effort " so this is just your view? you had no contact from Sean over why he appears to have given up running E2 E4 events.

I am not on facebook or twitter and people are often amazed when i tell them this.I do have a moblie which i am forever losing and finding it weeks later :wink:

Sean has posted on here loads of times so why will he not come on here and tell people what is going on? if he giving up running the events why not just say so what is the problem?

Well its time to make a nice cup of tea.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:06 am

It would be nice if the e2e4 website could be updated. It doesn't seem very sensible to still be inviting people to enter for the Whitsun Congress.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:It would be nice if the e2e4 website could be updated. It doesn't seem very sensible to still be inviting people to enter for the Whitsun Congress.
It would not take Sean very long at all to update the e2 e4 website and explain why he appears not to want to run any more events.This would be the best way to tell many people what was going on future plans etc

Well its time to listen to Radio 4