Future e2e4 events

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Pardoe

Re: Future e2e4 events

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 pm

I hope the e2e4 type format events do continue in some form, but if Sean feels he needs a break, thats perfectly uinderstandable.
Making these things pay is a tricky business, and maybe they held too many of these in recent times. Chess overload can happen. In these times of economic difficulties, many folk are watching those pennies carefully.
However, its for Sean or others to assess things and determine what they can offer.

One observarsion I`d make about chess ventures in general....quite a lot seem to be almost `one man bands`, run on a shoe string. Its true of clubs and leagues and also various Congresses, where certain personalities hold things together, then one day decide to call time....and things can just vanish.
Strong support and backup is important...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Barry Sandercock wrote:It would be nice if the e2e4 website could be updated. It doesn't seem very sensible to still be inviting people to enter for the Whitsun Congress.
It would not take Sean very long at all to update the e2 e4 website and explain why he appears not to want to run any more events.This would be the best way to tell many people what was going on future plans etc

Well its time to listen to Radio 4
I believe he alluded very strongly to packing in the e2e4 venture last year after the Gatwick disaster when he had to cancel the event 24 hours before it was due to take place.
If he has decided to pack it in, I would advise that he seeks offers from other organisers to buy the e2e4 venture and website etc...it must have a nominal cash value?....could be £50... could be £500?
like anything once interest wanes the value will decrease and regretably it will soon be forgotton about.
The main advantage that I saw was that the entry costs were lower for players. (Then again that may have been its downfall as the business model hardly seemed viable to me) A loss to uk chess for sure.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Martin Crichton wrote: The main advantage that I saw was that the entry costs were lower for players.
If anything entry fees were a bit higher than a normal Open. What was cheap usually was the accommodation deal. As I understand it, if you told a hotel that you could offer a decent number of paying bookings usually over a weekend, they could let you have not just the bookings at a cut price, but might also throw in the odd additional bedroom and the playing area at little or no extra cost. So provided there were sufficient entries to cover the prize funds and the costs of the invited GMs everything would balance out. From the hotel's viewpoint they would be satisfied if they got the expected number of bookings and turnover in the bar and restaurant.

With the accommodation low cost for the standard and the ease of booking, you got a road show of regular participants. I think also it attracted some tourists, players not from the UK who wanted to enter a British tournament but didn't quite know how and who appreciated the convenience of having their accommodation sorted as part of the entry.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:53 pm

David Pardoe wrote:
One observarsion I`d make about chess ventures in general....quite a lot seem to be almost `one man bands`, run on a shoe string. Its true of clubs and leagues and also various Congresses, where certain personalities hold things together, then one day decide to call time....and things can just vanish.
Your be lucky to get strong support and backup in the chess world.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:03 pm

David Pardoe wrote:quite a lot seem to be almost `one man bands`, run on a shoe string. Its true of clubs and leagues and also various Congresses, where certain personalities hold things together, then one day decide to call time....and things can just vanish.
vanish as mysteriously as they started? looks like Sean only recently ventured into the chess scene in 2003? no history before that.

10 years in chess ... maybe he has decided on a new hobby / interest?...

from the grading site

July 2014 166 X 160 D 166
Jan 2014 169 A 156 E 169
July 2013 166 X 166
Jan 2013 151 A 159 D 151
July 2012 164 X 159 D 164
Jan 2012 156 A 150 E 156
July 2011 158 A 150 E 158
July 2010 156 A 151 E 156
Jan 2010 151 D 151
July 2009 165 A 157 A 165
Jan 2009 139 X 139
July 2008 149 A 138 A 149
Jan 2008 129 A 129
July 2007 151 A 115 C 151
Jan 2007 114 C 114
July 2006 138 A 114 C 138
July 2005 127 A 126 A 127
July 2004 122 A 109 D 122
July 2003 119 D 119
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:32 pm

You also need to note that Sean was heavily involved with his e2e4 teams in 4NCL..Added to that, he got stuck i nto politics with ECF, etc...then you also have the FIDE angle...more politics...and all sorts of crackpot rules to turn normal chess into zombie type shananagans that detract from the enjoyment for many players who probably feel red tape overload....
All this can do untold damage to ones sense of karma....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I disagreed with Sean Hewitt on a few things but I always admired the work he put into chess and the fact that he was one of relatively few organisers who could put on the professional front that chess so badly needs. Obviously there's a lot of speculation on the thread, much of it unhelpful. It may, as somebody suggested, be other commitments. If e2-e4 has ceased (and that's an IF pending further informations) then it's a sad day for English chess. From a personal point of view playing an e2-e4 event was on the `bucket list`. However mainly it should serve as reminder that there is too much negativity in English chess and this is what drives capable people away.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:23 pm

David Pardoe wrote:
I hope the e2e4 type format events do continue in some form,but if Sean feels he needs a break, thats perfectly understandable.

I quite agree, but it would have been nice if we had been told months ago before the last three Sunningdale Congresses were taken off his calendar.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Sean please continue your 4NCL team!!! we need the win.

KR

Grantham Sharks
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Paul Robson wrote:running events takes a considerable amount of time and effort .
Indeed it does, but if there is to be a hiatus for the next season at least, in e2e4 events, how about making a public announcement? Then at least local organisers can plan for an event without looking over their shoulders that e2e4 won't turn up in the same area on the same or adjacent weekends. Surrey Congresses (which is an organisation) got hit by that this year. They avoided their traditional Easter slot because of potential competition from the Sunningdale Open and parallel English Seniors and went for the end May Bank Holiday weekend instead, only to find another e2e4 Sunningdale event on their doorstep for that weekend as well.
In fairness, I seem to recall that the e2e4 event was already on their provisional calendar before Surrey chose the same weekend.

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:14 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: With the accommodation low cost for the standard and the ease of booking, you got a road show of regular participants. I think also it attracted some tourists, players not from the UK who wanted to enter a British tournament but didn't quite know how and who appreciated the convenience of having their accommodation sorted as part of the entry.
As one of the non-UK tourists, I have to agree. I played the Brighton 9-rounders (around February/March) from 2011-2013 and enjoyed them immensely. The fact that everything was booked through the website was a huge advantage. Also the fact that the accommodation and the playing venue were in the same place was brilliant! You could have a late breakfast (or skip breakfast if you'd been out the night before!) wander back up the room for a quick shower and then be in the playing hall five minutes later. No faffing around spending hours looking for cheap accommodation near the venue, finding something not too far away and spending ages walking back and forth from the tournament.

I think the problem is that organising events is a bit of a lose-lose situation. As an organiser, if everything goes well and there aren't any problems, people take that for granted and you get little to no thanks for the work put in. If on the other hand anything goes wrong, people generally aren't shy about complaining, to put it politely. I think unfortunately that's human nature, as as a fairly low-level organiser here in France (local events for local people!), I've noticed little in the way of thanks, but lots of moaning.

Now that I appreciate the work that goes into these events, I always make a point of thanking the organisers at the end of any tournament I participate in. It only takes a minute and means a lot to the people who give up a lot of their free time so that chess tournaments continue to live.

Whatever Sean's up to now, thanks very much for the e2e4 events, I enjoyed them and if you've decided to call it a day, best of luck with whatever it is you're doing now.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:13 am

Niall Doran wrote:I always make a point of thanking the organisers at the end of any tournament I participate in. It only takes a minute and means a lot to the people who give up a lot of their free time so that chess tournaments continue to live.
I have to admit shamefacedly that I don't think I have ever done this.
I shall in future.
Thanks Niall

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Niall Doran wrote:I always make a point of thanking the organisers at the end of any tournament I participate in. It only takes a minute and means a lot to the people who give up a lot of their free time so that chess tournaments continue to live.
I have to admit shamefacedly that I don't think I have ever done this.
I shall in future.
Thanks Niall
Good comment Nial on thanking organisers. I try to do this as much as possible, am guilty of withdrawing though or not being in a great mood if have a bad last round. But always try and thanks Oranisers. Takes a second and is appreciated I am sure.

I too loved all the e2e4 events. And thank Sean if this really is the end of them. Hope someone can take it on.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:14 am

It is nice if people thank the organizers. It sometimes makes the difference between thinking you have wasted an entire weekend dealing with a bunch of morons and thinking "at least my efforts are appreciated". Even a cheery wave as the player disappears out of the door counts as a thank-you.

I don't care if people withdraw as long as they let me know before I have done the draw for the next round.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Surely it's high time the invitation for the Sunningdale Whitsun Congress came off the website !?