Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins

The very latest International round up of English news.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:58 am

"I just looked up the statutes and they seem again to have changed. They definitely still say that changes in the Laws or QC regulations cannot be done by the PB."

But FIDE appear to keep ignoring their own rules - can't they just ignore that one as well?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Kevin, 11.3b is one case where I think they should ignore the statutes and introduce the change on 1 September. But the PB created endless havoc when they interfered with the Laws of Chess in 2013.
At least Ignatius Leong has now gone. He believed the statutes were just an inconvenience to be ignored if he believed he had a better idea.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
But FIDE appear to keep ignoring their own rules
I am always interested to hear about such occurrences. Can you give an example?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 pm

http://www.theuglytruthaboutfide.blogspot.co.uk/

has disappeared. That's a shame.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:26 pm

NickFaulks wrote:http://www.theuglytruthaboutfide.blogspot.co.uk/

has disappeared. That's a shame.

It had gone even before the election.

The hate site
http://chessnewsagency.com/
remains, but for how long?

The other hate site fidenot4sale has disappeared. The twitter evidence remains naturally
https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=fidenot4sale

I think it's now a reasonable prediction that Kirsan will never be removed by a direct election. So therefore there's the prospect of
(a) an internal coup
(b) dismissal by Putin
or
(c) some sort of revolutionary event which marginalises FIDE as a world chess body.

(c) is perhaps unlikely. Is (d) voluntary retirement any more likely?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:12 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
The hate site
http://chessnewsagency.com/
remains, but for how long?
I've just taken a look at this. It doesn't take much to be defined as a "hate site" nowadays.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:03 am

NickFaulks wrote:I've just taken a look at this. It doesn't take much to be defined as a "hate site" nowadays.
You would hardly call the coverage objective. If anyone has the nerve to challenge the FIDE establishment in four years time, are they not going to get the same anonymous attacks?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 am

I'm sure they are, but that doesn't make it a hate site.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Andy Howie wrote:We are never going to get 92 delegates to Montreal in 2015 for an EGA, will take massive amounts of proxies to do it!
You appear to know more than most of us about the location of next year's FIDE Congress. Can you enlighten us further?
I believe it was Nigel Freeman who said on the last day that they were looking at having next years in Montreal.

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:44 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
But FIDE appear to keep ignoring their own rules
I am always interested to hear about such occurrences. Can you give an example?
Election of 5 VPs after Karpov's defeat, which at the time was against their own rules. They have been changed subsequently but at the time it was against the statuates

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:12 am

Andy Howie wrote: Election of 5 VPs after Karpov's defeat, which at the time was against their own rules. They have been changed subsequently but at the time it was against the statuates
Of course I remember that one, indeed I commented at the time that it was asking for trouble, but if we have to go back to 2010 for an example then I do not regard this as a current problem.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 pm

I thought the transfer of Lagno was too late for her to be eligible for Russia this Olympiad?

I was making the point that there are a number of occasions previously where FIDE appears to have ignored its own rules. I don't have any new ones, apart from those discussed on this thriving forum.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:37 pm

How about the 2013 wilful interference of the Presidential Board with the Laws of Chess? Had they made their suggestions in 2012, that would have been fine.
The regulations regarding the Rules Commission were changed on the FIDE commission site very recently, although I think before Tromso rather than during. I certainly never knew about the change and don't think Geurt did either.
Was it constitutionally acceptable for the President to interfere with the candidature of people for the posts of supposedly independent Vice Presidents?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: The regulations regarding the Rules Commission were changed on the FIDE commission site very recently, although I think before Tromso rather than during.
You've mentioned this before. What was changed? Do you mean rules.fide.com?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Aims of the Commissions

Technical Commission (TEC)

The TEC shall be responsible for the Laws of Chess, the regulations and rules of Tournaments, the Swiss Pairing rules, as well as any specific Regulation for each FIDE Competition, except when otherwise stated.

The TEC shall nominate the experts for the Rules & Tournament Regulations Commission (RTR).

The TEC shall nominate the experts for the Technical Administrative Panel (TAP) regarding the technical aspects of the Chess Olympiads.

The TEC shall nominate the experts for the Panel of Testers to test Chess Clocks (TCC) and Swiss Pairing Programs (SPP).

The TEC shall propose amendments to rules and regulations as necessary.

I don't think that this relationship with the Rules Commission was there hitherto. As you know it is very difficult to see changes in the FIDE Handbook unless you keep a continuous log.