Rules of chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Anthony Appleyard

Rules of chess

Post by Anthony Appleyard » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:27 pm

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article

I found at that address the FIDE official rules of chess.

Is there anywhere a timetable of the changes of rule that have happened since FIDE started?

In rule "Appendix D. Rules for play with blind and visually disabled players" it says that in play between blind players, or one blind and one sighted, when they announce moves to each other, they must announce in German. That is unexpected.

After I wrote that, I looked thru my old messages and found this link:-

http://chessarbitersassociation.co.uk/html/laws.html

But is there a specific description of the differences between successive versions?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Rules of chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Anthony Appleyard wrote: In rule "Appendix D. Rules for play with blind and visually disabled players" it says that in play between blind players, or one blind and one sighted, when they announce moves to each other, they must announce in German. That is unexpected.
It's been there for countless years. In my experience, games in the UK against British blind players are always announced in English.

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:It's been there for countless years. In my experience, games in the UK against British blind players are always announced in English.
My first (and so far only) experience of playing a blind opponent was at the London Classic a couple of years ago. Paired against a Polish lady who spoke no English, I (and presumably her other opponents) was asked to announce moves in German.

My German is ropey to say the least, my chess-German non-existent. But we were given a crib sheet to help us with our Springers, Königs, Läufers and the like, plus a reminder of the file names.

It wasn't hard to adjust, and quite quickly the game didn't feel much different from playing a sighted opponent.
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:02 am

Tristan Clayton wrote: My German is ropey to say the least, my chess-German non-existent. But we were given a crib sheet to help us with our Springers, Königs, Läufers and the like, plus a reminder of the file names.

It wasn't hard to adjust, and quite quickly the game didn't feel much different from playing a sighted opponent.
I was paired in Italy against a German blind player. At one time, Russian books by the likes of Keres were available in German via East Germany, so I had some vague familiarity with the "ZweiSpringerSpeil" and "Schartz steht besser". To minimise the risk of accidents, I scored the game in German algebraic and took care to check that the sighted board and the touch board showed the same position. The one problem was that I couldn't remember the German for "castles". I was able to play a line where White castled first. I should have remembered it, it's used as part of a magazine title "Rochade".

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:11 am

That reminds me - I asked before my game how to announce castling, as it wasn't on the crib sheet.

I suppose König Cesar ein or König Gustav ein would have done, but Lange Rochade and Kurze Rochade sounded more appropriate.
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

Anthony Appleyard

Post by Anthony Appleyard » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:39 am

I read about another sort of unsighted chess :: long ago in Central Asia two sighted men riding horses side by side playing chess by calling moves to each other without using physical board or pieces.