The bragging thread

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: The bragging thread

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Mats Winther wrote:Chess is simple
I think quite a few would disagree with you there!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mats Winther wrote:Chess is simple
I think quite a few would disagree with you there!
Yeah I'm that dumb, it flies right over my head.

I'm that thick, I don't know what simple means.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:33 pm

I had a nice game last night, with an interesting possibility that I passed up.

I knew when I played it that 7. Bd3 wasn't the best move, but the rest seemed to go pretty well:

(Black actually played on for another 25 moves or so as I was short on time - I didn't finish as clinically as I'd have liked but brought home the full point in the end!)

The interesting position arises after Black's move 27:

Pretty much any sensible move (Qe4, Rf4, Nb6 etc) preserves White's advantage. But is 28. Rxh5 playable?
Last edited by Matt Fletcher on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Matt Fletcher wrote: But is 28. Rxh5 playable?
I was expecting it to be a "computer says no" type of position. But that's because I had missed the follow up of Qd1. It's not the engine's first choice though, that's given to the "torture" move of Nb6 with a follow up of a4. It does however rank the sac above the routine Qe4. There isn't an instant win after Rxh5 either, because Black can return a piece with Be7. You can end up with a position with lots of pawns for the exchange.

Were you playing with increment? That can sometimes make a difference to practical choices.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:04 pm

It does seem to become first choice after computer thinks about it for a while (though it probably depends what engine is used).

I was trying to make 28. Rxh5 gxh5 29. Qh4 work for a while but Black kept on escaping to the Queenside. Given I was already a solid pawn up, I decided it was better to play a safe move and preserve some time. Qd1 wasn't even on my radar but it's a great move! I agree it doesn't win instantly, but the lines are pretty convincing.

Time control was 75 minutes plus 15 seconds per move.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Matt Fletcher wrote: Qd1 wasn't even on my radar but it's a great move!
Moves like Rxh5 are never that difficult to spot as candidates and if playing Blitz you might play them anyway. It's the follow up ideas that can be problematic.