ECF Council - Controversial Issues

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF Council - Controversial Issues

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:11 am

Richard Bates wrote:Just a thought - how many leagues which otherwise operate mandatory (or at one player's insistence) quickplay finishes, make exemption for games involving disabled players?
I'd suspect just one, the London League. Quickplay finishes have a much longer history in tournaments than in leagues and I don't think a tournament has ever felt it necessary to amend its rules.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:19 am

Richard Bates wrote:Just a thought - how many leagues which otherwise operate mandatory (or at one player's insistence) quickplay finishes, make exemption for games involving disabled players?
Middlesex League, for Colin Crouch.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:27 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: So a softer motion "The ECF recommends the abolition of adjudications" might acquire general support.
Absolutely. It's unfortunate that the ideal middle way "The ECF will not grade games in which a result is reached by adjudication" is open to abuse by players who would send bad positions for adjudication purely to prevent them counting for grading.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:39 am

Chris Wardle wrote: "The ECF will not grade games in which a result is reached by adjudication"
It's already been pointed out that the ECF motion in effect reads
The ECF will not grade games in which a result might reached by external adjudication
So there would be little to prevent a league having rules which mandated adjournments, but with the practical effect that players always agreed the result without resumption. There's a lot of that anyway, I would imagine, as feeding a position into a chess engine and taking note of its opinions is straightforward enough.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:51 am

I can see the arguements regarding adjudications...
Similar arguements might apply equally to adjournments..
You might also apply similar `logic` to `games interupted by mobile phones`..
Maybe even where a game is `spoilt` by other `interuptions`...such as your opponent crunching loadly on crisps when you are trying to concentrate on a move..
In fact any situation where an `unnatural interruption takes place......?

As regards adjudications.... I can remember one occasion when a congress game was adjudicated in favour of my opponent, which infuriated me, because he appeared to have no clue as to how to `win` the game, playing very inept moves that were clearly making no progress..
Similarly, I recollect at least one adjournment, when my opponent seemed equally perplexed as to how to proceed...until his team mates `intervened` with some analysis, and found an obscure positive line, from which he was able to `win`...

On the other hand, I can also recollect some adjourned positions which were incredibly interesting, and `resumption` produced goods results from some fascinating endgame play....
It might open up the arguement as to whether all games should recieve the same grading points, or whether `adjustments` could be made to give `fair credit` to all parties....?
ie, certain `wins` deemed `fortunate` might not credit a `50 point` bonus to the `winner`...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:44 pm

So, um, Roger (or anyone who was there), how many of these controversial issues got discussed and how many were addressed satisfactorily? I may need to pop over to the other forum to catch up on any news about the National Chess Library, as I see the thread there has some posts.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:06 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:So, um, Roger (or anyone who was there), how many of these controversial issues got discussed and how many were addressed satisfactorily?
Like you, I was playing a county match. Predictably discussion of adjudications took up a lengthy slot of meeting time. No doubt the usual reporters will be preparing their material for publication.

Whether relevant to the ECF Library or not, an imminent move of the ECF Office has been ruled out.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:24 am

One point is how many leagues that permit adjudication have it is the default option, and if the motion related to adjudication as the default position would it receive greater support? If adjudication is not the default option no player who has does not want adjudication can be forced into it.