Chessbase 13 released

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Laurie Roberts

Chessbase 13 released

Post by Laurie Roberts » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:55 am

Chessbase 13 has been released (http://shop.chessbase.com/en/products/c ... TYB55LUOVF).

The main change seems to be to allow you to save your personal databases in the cloud so you can access them from multiple devices (ala chessmicrobase: http://chessmicrobase.com/)

I think this looks good although I wonder if you will need to pay a yearly subscription to keep access to your personal databases (chess microbase is free with a limited number of databases/games and a small fee if you have a premium account which gives you the ability to create 100 databases with 1000 games in each. So it is for your own collections, not a reference database)

Joey Stewart

Re: Chessbase 13 released

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Is chessbase any better now? I always wanted to make myself a database but have heard so many bad things about it that put me off, high charges, lack of customer support and that the old versions become obsolete once the brand new chessbase comes out.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Is chessbase any better now? I always wanted to make myself a database but have heard so many bad things about it that put me off, high charges, lack of customer support and that the old versions become obsolete once the brand new chessbase comes out.
It is pricey; never had any need for customer support and it is backwards compatible. But if you want to simply make yourself a database, use chessmicrobase for a cloud solution or something like SCID http://scidvspc.sourceforge.net/

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Laurie Roberts wrote:The main change seems to be to allow you to save your personal databases in the cloud so you can access them from multiple device
If you want to do that why not just use one of the general cloud-based file sharing and synchronisation services (e.g. Dropbox). That way you can synchronise and share any files you like, not just Chessbase, and it's probably going to be a more reliable and secure service as well.

What the Chessbase advert doesn't say is what software you need on each device accessing their cloud. If it's a separate copy of ChessBase on each device that would get very expensive.

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:18 am

I use google drive for file storage. chess microbase allows you more than file storage as entire program in browser so you can play through games, create new ones etc from multiple devices

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:What the Chessbase advert doesn't say is what software you need on each device accessing their cloud. If it's a separate copy of ChessBase on each device that would get very expensive.
The latest advert does answer this question - you need ChessBase 13 on the device to have access to your data in their cloud.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: The latest advert does answer this question - you need ChessBase 13 on the device to have access to your data in their cloud.
I can see the point that accessing the database of all known games is easier if someone else is maintaining it for you. But for a personal or research collection, I would have thought entrusting your data to chessbase part of a back up solution. Wi fi access is by no means available everywhere and the point of a database on a laptop is that it travels with you.