Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?

General discussions about ratings.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Looking at the list of top 100 players, there are six players with 'F' grades over 200. There are a number of players with 'E' grades as well. I did notice a player with a grade of '6F' (a grade of 6 in the 'F' category). Wonder how many of the new 'F' players came in with really low grades as well as those with high grades?

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:28 pm

I’ve gone up a whole point :lol: Well it's better than the loss I was expecting.

I've shot myself in the foot in Rapid grade territory though - I've gone down enough to get into the minor at the British RP in November, which I never expected. Problem is, I played at Stockport RP yesterday, and did quite well, beating two 138's and drawing with a 139 so it's going to go back up in the summer! :cry:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Looking at the list of top 100 players, there are six players with 'F' grades over 200. There are a number of players with 'E' grades as well. I did notice a player with a grade of '6F' (a grade of 6 in the 'F' category). Wonder how many of the new 'F' players came in with really low grades as well as those with high grades?
In the standard-play list the average grade of F players is 102. They contribute nearly all of the drop in the average grade in the full list to 132.5 to 129.2. There are 1104 F category players in the standardplay list of which only 48 were in the previous list. There are 6,222 with categories in the rapidplay list of which 1,515 are category F

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Jon Mahony wrote: I've shot myself in the foot in Rapid grade territory though - I've gone down enough to get into the minor at the British RP in November, which I never expected. Problem is, I played at Stockport RP yesterday, and did quite well, beating two 138's and drawing with a 139 so it's going to go back up in the summer! :cry:

There is just no pleasing some people - do you want to improve or not Jon? :roll:

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

I am one of the F graded players in rapidplay. 93F (Standard play grade is 103B.)

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote: I've shot myself in the foot in Rapid grade territory though - I've gone down enough to get into the minor at the British RP in November, which I never expected. Problem is, I played at Stockport RP yesterday, and did quite well, beating two 138's and drawing with a 139 so it's going to go back up in the summer! :cry:

There is just no pleasing some people - do you want to improve or not Jon? :roll:
I didn't say anything about Rapid Play - I just want to win there :twisted:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:18 pm

David Blower wrote:I am one of the F graded players in rapidplay. 93F (Standard play grade is 103B.)
Given some of the other rather silly F grades were they even a good idea?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Biggest drop ever. Lowest grade since the ratings readjustment.

Officially fit for the chessic knackers yard.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Looking at the list of top 100 players, there are six players with 'F' grades over 200. There are a number of players with 'E' grades as well. I did notice a player with a grade of '6F' (a grade of 6 in the 'F' category). Wonder how many of the new 'F' players came in with really low grades as well as those with high grades?
On checking Nottinghamshire players I find someone with a grade of 1F. In a previous posting somewhere it was confirmed that a player can have a minus grade. I have no idea how this works - presumably it's for people who open 1 Nb3 as White?

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:42 pm

I went up 3 points, taking me to 29, hurrah. Maybe I'll crack 30 in the summer!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Fair play to Pigott, John C with a 269 at number 3 but it's really rather silly.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Brian Valentine wrote: Pigott has only 6 games counting for grading and he won them all.
At the time of the grading revaluation, it was speculated that the algorithm for estimating the grade of a new player could converge to an unexpectedly high value where the percent score was in the 85% to 100% range and presumably to a low value if the score was 0 to 15%. We cannot see who he played with the system currently being down, but if you had a player with a grade of 259 playing five games against 209 players, that would be a performance and thus a new grade of 269.

There are a couple of players from Poole also with F grades in the top 100.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Brian Valentine wrote:
In the standard-play list the average grade of F players is 102. They contribute nearly all of the drop in the average grade in the full list to 132.5 to 129.2. There are 1104 F category players in the standardplay list of which only 48 were in the previous list. There are 6,222 with categories in the rapidplay list of which 1,515 are category F
As said somewhere else on this forum you should really be concentrating on grades weighted by number of games played as an index, which is generally more meaningful particularly in these circumstances.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Neil Graham wrote: In a previous posting somewhere it was confirmed that a player can have a minus grade.
Grades are an arbitrary scale. What is known is that the middle of the distribution is around the 135 to 140 mark. Anyone with a negative grade is at least 135 to 140 points worse than average. In the opposite direction, the best human players are about the same better than average.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 pm

I think it is great to have the F grades and I am pleased my new chess playing pupils now have a grade.

As to low grades, some of the juniors now graded over 215 first started with a grade of below 50, one as low as 14.