What would you pay for a title?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MSoszynski

Re: What would you pay for a title?

Post by MSoszynski » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:11 am

"What would you pay for a title?"

It depends on the title. Zero for zero.

Remember, though, that even the award of a university degree is conditional on fees (and fines) being paid; never mind that you've passed the exams; never mind whether the university course actually helped you to pass them.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:13 pm

Users of both Arena and the ECF's official forum are rare.

There's a satisfied user's testimony on Arena at the official forum.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... ?f=7&t=246

It's not a problem unique to Arena, but whatever spyware they install or sophisticated engine matching they use, you can never be confident that an anonymous or unknown on-line opponent isn't using another computer, checking a book, asking a friend etc. Perhaps if seeing your opponent through SkYPE became commonplace, that attitude might change.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Yes I certainly won’t be bothering to send the ECF a tenner for the little certificate proclaiming me to be a “Team Master” or whatever it is I qualify for these days. Though will I feel the same way if by some miracle I ever get the grade up to 200 and qualify for the National Master title? Which almost sounds real - Well that won’t be happening, so no point worrying too much!

To be fair I know several people on the relatively small “Chess Maestro” List and know they just sent off for it for the laugh. One Miss Goldsmith though I suspect is deadly serious :shock:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:44 pm

What do people think, then, of those of us with honours degrees from Oxford University who sent off a tenner 21 terms after matriculation for an MA? Is it OK if we only did it for a laugh?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Brian Towers wrote:What do people think, then, of those of us with honours degrees from Oxford University who sent off a tenner 21 terms after matriculation for an MA?
It's been suggested that the FIDE FM title stands for "found money". But a 2300 rating is needed to qualify for the offer thus raising the bar in the same way that an Oxford or Cambridge honours degree is needed for an MA.

FIDE are awarding (selling) titles for the accomplishment of achieving a 1100 rating on a chess server.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:25 pm

Brian Towers wrote:What do people think, then, of those of us with honours degrees from Oxford University who sent off a tenner 21 terms after matriculation for an MA? Is it OK if we only did it for a laugh?
I would certainly be disappointed if the holder of such a degree, made such a bad analogy :) the two things are clearly very different
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Well, I was going to join the arena for a slightly more "serious" place to play online chess.

But whilst my FIDE ID tells me I'm Welsh

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1803280

That is not one of the options in the Nationality tab when signing up!

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Neither is English, Scottish, British or UK by the look of it, not that I would want to declare myself either of the last two.

So, as there's not many of them left I guess I'll go with Manx.

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:16 pm

corr, Java too, what a mess.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Brian Towers wrote:What do people think, then, of those of us with honours degrees from Oxford University who sent off a tenner 21 terms after matriculation for an MA? Is it OK if we only did it for a laugh?
I would certainly be disappointed if the holder of such a degree, made such a bad analogy :) the two things are clearly very different
You are quite right, of course. The approach of FIDE and the ECF is much more in keeping with the modern, progressive ethos of prizes for all and nobody finishing last than the archaic, elitist one of the older English and Scottish universities. Although the Scottish universities do at least require 4 years of study for an MA.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:
You are quite right, of course. The approach of FIDE and the ECF is much more in keeping with the modern, progressive ethos of prizes for all and nobody finishing last than the archaic, elitist one of the older English and Scottish universities. Although the Scottish universities do at least require 4 years of study for an MA.
Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin, I believe, offer the 'MA for a tenner, guv' degree.

It would be fair to say, I think, that this custom is regarded as something of a joke in academic circles - certainly outside Oxbridge. Most people would assume an MA, like other Master's degrees, was something you had to work for, rather than being "conferred by right" (of having a Bachelor degree), as the University of Cambridge website puts it.

Incidentally, to allude to another ongoing thread, one notes that the multi-title-winning Times chess correspondent is also the proud possessor of an "MA (Cantab)".

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Well in defence I would say that the MA was invented by the older universities and marked the stage at which academic experience plus years of maturity conferred the right to teach. The fact that other places chose to change the basis on which it was awarded is hardly the fault of the originators of the title!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:13 pm

How much did "grandmaster" A Crisan pay for his "title"? Anyone know??
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 pm

AustinElliott wrote:
It would be fair to say, I think, that this custom is regarded as something of a joke in academic circles - certainly outside Oxbridge.
Good Lord yes.

When I was working in the library of Oxford's other university, one of my colleagues was unwise enough to say she was sending her cheque for her Oxford MA, something she regretted after a week or so of being asked if she could pick me up a couple of A Levels for a fiver.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:05 am

BTW how many titles are there and what is the rank of the titles and what ratings do you have to get to get them?