2nd 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mike Truran

2nd 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:03 pm

The roadshow goes north! Following the success of our first FIDE rated congress in Birmingham, we will be holding our second FIDE rated congress at the Cedar Court Hotel in Wakefield on 17-19 April. You can find all the details you need in the ‘Second FIDE Rated Congress’ menus at the top right of the 4NCL website homepage.

If the congress proves successful we intend to hold further events in the north in future, so do please support this initiative if you are able.

Peter Shaw

Re: 2nd 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress

Post by Peter Shaw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Excellent! A FIDE rated tournament almost on my doorstep.

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Boo....very late notice . Booked holiday two weeks ago for middle of April . Thats REALLY annoying...its almost on my doorstep also :cry:

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Very well done for avoiding any genuinely major clashes :) Not at all easy in Yorkshire!
(A fair geographical distance between this and Nottingham I guess.).

Hope it goes well.

You really will struggle to find very many free weekends during the main season (4NCL/Yorkshire league eat up so many!) but there's reasonable amounts in Spring/Summer.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:30 pm

Super news. I'll have to be really nice to my boss to see if I can get the weekend off although the Saturday clashes with the Harrogate club dinner which I'm organising.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:13 am

GM Jahongir Vakhidov's entry now confirmed.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:31 am

Results, crosstables and games here: www.4ncl.co.uk.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Hopefully the event was judged a success and will be back. It does look like Yorkshire players supported it and I'm sorry I couldn't attend on this occasion.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Looking good for October. More to follow.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Sorry to sound pessimistic - this is definitely a fine exercise in principle - but I would be a little wary of trying to hold an event in October in Yorkshire. Very busy month chesswise. Last season the four weekends went 4NCL rapidplay, Yorkshire league, Yorkshire league, Scarborough.

Andrew does try to work round stuff with the Yorkshire league but there really aren't enormous amounts of free time to do it in with the 4NCL/existing congresses. You'd most likely be looking at a clash (either Yorkshire league or this event) with the 4NCL rapid play. Suppose that's survivable.

Eric Gardiner

Post by Eric Gardiner » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:48 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Sorry to sound pessimistic - this is definitely a fine exercise in principle - but I would be a little wary of trying to hold an event in October in Yorkshire. Very busy month chesswise. Last season the four weekends went 4NCL rapidplay, Yorkshire league, Yorkshire league, Scarborough.
<clears throat> Martin, there was also the Hull Congress at the beginning of October!

I'd certainly like to play in future 4NCL congresses held in Yorkshire. I'll be emailing Mike my thoughts this week as he's requested feedback from those of us who played. Agree it would be good to liaise with people like Andrew Zigmond, Ihor Lewyk etc. to avoid clashes with established fixtures.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Looking good for October. More to follow.
Harrogate is 9-11 October, might it be better to try another month?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Ah, sorry about all those congresses too. There isn't a good combined Yorkshire calendar online anywhere - maybe I should suggest that to the Yorkshire chess website people :) Year book seems to have one though, so.... This is last season of course, so probably changing a bit for next. I might be missing stuff too, but the overall effect is clear.

Sept 13th Harrogate Congress, Sept 20th Bradford Congress, Sept 27th Yorkshire league rnd 1, (apologies to the Northumberland congress),
Oct 4th Hull Congress, (4NCL rapidplay etc too); Oct 11th Yorkshire League rnd 2; Oct 18th Yorkshire League rnd 3; Oct 25th Scarborough,
Nov 1st British Rapidplay (Leeds); Nov 8th Semi free (Bolton Rapid/a Gawain Jones simul in Hull); Nov 15th 4NCL; Nov 22nd YL rnd 4 (Apologies to Preston :(); Nov 29th Free;
Dec 6th YL rnd 5, Dec13 = 'Free';
Jan 3rd Traditionally York which may be restarting it this year; Jan 10th 4NCL; Jan 17th YL rnd 6; Jan 24th Semi Free (Stockport rapid, junior 4NCL); Jan 31st York Rapid;
Feb 7th YCA rnd 7; Feb 14th 4NCL; Feb 21st YCA rnd 8; Feb 28th Doncaster;
Mar 7th Blackpool, Mar 14th YL rnd 9, Mar 21st 4NCL, Mar 28th YCA rnd 10;
Apr 4th Free, Apr 11th YL Rnd 11, And relax, final 4NCL weekend apart ;)

There might well just be space in here for a strong FIDE rated open at some point in the season, but all these events draw from the same pool of players which isn't big enough to support two events at once, so it has to be done very carefully. Otherwise there's a real risk that something gets arranged, the Yorkshire league says 'no' when asked to move - because it can't actually manage to do so! - and we get a failed event, which helps no one :(

October really doesn't seem like the best month though, as the calendar really is full of chess for the 6/7 weeks round then. The Yorkshire league never starts before lateish September and really does need those three matches before November to make the schedule work.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Where the f*** did the 13 Sep date for the Harrogate congress come from?!

Per the ECF calendar it's on the 4-6 Sep weekend. Is the calendar wrong? 11-13 Sep was one of the weekends I was looking at as an alternative to an October weekend.

If I can't rely on information on the ECF calendar I may as well give up the attempt to organise congresses now. I have better things to do than chase my own tail.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:44 pm

I think Martin was listing the 2014 events at the same time of year as a possible guide to what might happen in 2015!