2nd 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Brendan O'Gorman

Re: 2nd 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 pm

October 2015 Congresses (that I know of):

9-11 Harrogate (a Castle Chess event)
17-18 Witney (!)
18-?? Guernsey
23-25 Scarborough
24-25 Metropolitan (a London event)
24-25 Hampstead
30-1 Bournemouth
31-1 Ledes (British Rapidplay)

There might be a Hull congress (perhaps at the start of the month) but I know nothing for certain.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:12 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:October 2015 Congresses (that I know of):
Bury St Edmunds provided it's continuing as well. In 2014, Bury, Scarborough and Dorset (Bournemouth) were all the same weekend.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:04 am

Yes, apologies! I was listing this seasons events as an illustration of how busy the calendar tends to be in practice. Count the free weekends!

Sadly you definitely can't rely purely on the ECF calendar for scheduling an event :( There's a bunch of events (Bradford congress for starters) missing at the moment and a large chunk (11) of those 'free' weekends are chalked in for the Yorkshire league.

Andrew Zigmond (who for his pains does the leagues scheduling) has actually already posted about worries cf fixture congestion and the Yorkshire league on the Yorkshire chess site. That was I believe in response to the castle chess event in early October.

I really would talk very carefully to him/Ihor etc to see where it is possible/sensible to fit an event in during the 'main' season. I can't really see October working out well. Early September might be fine if no direct clash, or into November sometime.

You can perhaps see the problems better if you look at the events we're already clashing with. Think the Preston congress is top of the list. Long established, not far from much of Yorkshire and Calderdale draw a bundle of their Yorkshire league players from round there. There's also the new national club champs format.

We'd definitely not be clashing with them if there was a better option.

There's been other worthy events too, like iirc the attempt to restart the Middlesbrough congress a year or two back, the Northumberland congress etc.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:51 am

Oh dear. This is definitely getting to be hard work! :( :( :(

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:58 am

Manchester Autumn end Aug early Sep will have a FIDE rated Open
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:10 am

Yes, that was my only real point. Its definitely a very desirable sort of event to have in Yorkshire but it'll be hard work :(

Might almost be a case of negotiating to take over a weekend from an existing congress, or - if you kept the same rough location - sort of merging the two things. Some of the congresses are doing very well by themselves, but there's definitely some events I could imagine welcoming that.