DGT2010 clocks

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Reg Clucas

DGT2010 clocks

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:37 pm

I would be grateful if someone with experience of these clocks could offer some advice. My club is considering buying some.

I wanted to check what functionality was available, so I downloaded a PDF copy of the manual. If I understand it correctly, it appears that there are various pre-programmed options within each mode, plus one user programmable option for each mode ('manual set').

For instance, for Fischer timing there are the following options listed -

Code: Select all

Option     Clock type                     Basic time / extra times

15          Bonus (“Fischer”) blitz       3 min + 2 sec/move
16          Bonus (“Fischer”) rapid       25 min + 10 sec/move
17          Bonus (“Fischer”) slow        1 hour 30 min + 30 sec/move
18          Bonus (“Fischer”)             manual set
Is it possible to overwrite the pre-programmed settings? What I would like to do is program in all the different modes/time limits for the leagues that we play in, plus our internal competitions. It seems that there aren't enough 'manual set' options for all of these, and many of the pre-programmed settings are inappropriate

How much of a faff is it to set up all the clocks prior to a match if you don't have the required setting programmed in? (And for that matter, how much of a faff is it if you do have the required setting programmed in?)

David Gilbert

Re: DGT2010 clocks

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:40 pm

It takes just a few minutes to set eight DGT2010 clocks from scratch, even quicker if they are pre-set. Faffing around unnecessary! There was a nine player, time handicap, all-play-all simul, over 36 boards, at the 2013 British Championship in Torquay. Each clock showed different times depending on the handicap. Dave Welch had them all set in less than 10 minutes.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Reg

As well as the MCF clocks you see at tournaments (we used one when I played you at Bolton Rapidplay), they are also used by Stockport, Chorlton, Bolton, Bury, Worsley, Great Lever and Eccles, so just have a look next time Altrincham play at one of those clubs
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:How much of a faff is it to set up all the clocks prior to a match if you don't have the required setting programmed in? (And for that matter, how much of a faff is it if you do have the required setting programmed in?)
It isn't. It usually takes longer to take them out of their boxes, take them out of the bubble wrap, and put the bubble wrap back in the box and put the lid on again than it does to actually set the clock.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:30 pm

Has anyone any experience of this alternative to the DGT2010?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:Has anyone any experience of this alternative to the DGT2010?
At that price why not get the real thing? The DGT is robust, easy to program and reliable - and tried and tested in every major tournament in Europe. Moreover if you buy enough you may get them cheaper...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 am

Reg Clucas wrote:I would be grateful if someone with experience of these clocks could offer some advice. My club is considering buying some.

I wanted to check what functionality was available, so I downloaded a PDF copy of the manual. If I understand it correctly, it appears that there are various pre-programmed options within each mode, plus one user programmable option for each mode ('manual set').

For instance, for Fischer timing there are the following options listed -

Code: Select all

Option     Clock type                     Basic time / extra times

15          Bonus (“Fischer”) blitz       3 min + 2 sec/move
16          Bonus (“Fischer”) rapid       25 min + 10 sec/move
17          Bonus (“Fischer”) slow        1 hour 30 min + 30 sec/move
18          Bonus (“Fischer”)             manual set
Is it possible to overwrite the pre-programmed settings? What I would like to do is program in all the different modes/time limits for the leagues that we play in, plus our internal competitions. It seems that there aren't enough 'manual set' options for all of these, and many of the pre-programmed settings are inappropriate

How much of a faff is it to set up all the clocks prior to a match if you don't have the required setting programmed in? (And for that matter, how much of a faff is it if you do have the required setting programmed in?)
I agree with the comments made by others to the effect that setting the clocks is not a major issue.

However, if you really want to store several of your own preferred options, you need to buy the DGTXL, which allows you five stored options of your own choice.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 am

Would someone be able to try the "Gong" mode of the 2010 and decide if it loud enough for classroom use?

Many thanks! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu May 21, 2015 3:45 pm

As much as I like having many presets on a digital clock I agree with Reg that having a few more empty slots for manual time controls would be beneficial. Unlike a tournament, most clubs play league chess in the evening where time for set up is limited. Having preset time controls for various leagues would speed things up massively and also reduce the complexity for all involved. I can't see it happening if FIDE have any input, but maybe a manufacturer other than DGT could take up the challenge.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu May 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Greg Breed wrote:As much as I like having many presets on a digital clock I agree with Reg that having a few more empty slots for manual time controls would be beneficial. Unlike a tournament, most clubs play league chess in the evening where time for set up is limited. Having preset time controls for various leagues would speed things up massively and also reduce the complexity for all involved. I can't see it happening if FIDE have any input, but maybe a manufacturer other than DGT could take up the challenge.
The DGT 3000 now offers the ability to program slots, but at a price - £90.00 or thereabouts.
Adam Raoof IA, IO

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Greg Breed wrote: Unlike a tournament, most clubs play league chess in the evening where time for set up is limited. Having preset time controls for various leagues would speed things up massively and also reduce the complexity for all involved.
In the relatively unlikely event that all the local leagues and competitions agree on the same move rate, you only need the one preset given that DGTs remember their settings from one session to the next. I suppose that's a hidden advantage of not counting moves, that a prior setting of 75 minutes plus 15 can cope with all the local variations of how many moves have to be made in the 75.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Fri May 22, 2015 10:44 am

Adam Raoof wrote:
Greg Breed wrote:As much as I like having many presets on a digital clock I agree with Reg that having a few more empty slots for manual time controls would be beneficial. Unlike a tournament, most clubs play league chess in the evening where time for set up is limited. Having preset time controls for various leagues would speed things up massively and also reduce the complexity for all involved. I can't see it happening if FIDE have any input, but maybe a manufacturer other than DGT could take up the challenge.
The DGT 3000 now offers the ability to program slots, but at a price - £90.00 or thereabouts.
For clubs the 3000 is available at £45 the 2010 £35

It must be the North / South difference

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri May 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Blimey Gareth - next time I'll buy them from you!
Adam Raoof IA, IO

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Sat May 23, 2015 6:58 am

Gareth T Ellis wrote:For clubs the 3000 is available at £45 the 2010 £35
Where?

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Sat May 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Best to PM me for now, I'm currently buying wholesalechess.co.uk back but I work with the current owner Claire, Carmelo Miceli from Chessmaze International / English Chess Company and Howard Wood from Chess Essentials.

I wasn't going to advertise them until the new site was live, but it seemed appropriate to inform the forum members at the time.