Standards of Conduct for ECF Officials

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

Standards of Conduct for ECF Officials

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:08 am

From the other place, comments welcomed:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... ?f=4&t=388

:lol: Meanwhile writers should be aware their comments may be highlighted to a large global audience.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Re: Standards of Conduct for ECF Officials

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:16 am

What about ECF officials and something like Facebook is it also 'suggested' they do not comment there?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:56 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:Meanwhile writers should be aware their comments may be highlighted to a large global audience.
Isn't that just the problem with forums, you cannot get away with saying A to one audience and "not A" to another?

It's critical mass really, until such time, if ever, that the ECF's forum gets sufficient posts and posters and covers spectator topics such as top events, it's never going to have much influence. In the meantime, ECF Directors will occasionally make statements which will be discussed here and on blogs, but they won't be allowed to reply or contribute.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:04 pm

specifically Regulation 4 paragraphs 2.1 and 2.6.
All officials of the ECF are representatives of the organisation and must ensure that
their actions do not:

cause gratuitous offence;

injure the ECF, its officials or its events, directly or indirectly;

bring the game of chess or the ECF into disrepute.
This includes, among other things, ensuring that the views, rights, values and dignity of others are treated with sensitivity and respect. As ambassadors for the game and for the ECF, officials must ensure that their actions reflect such personal qualities as honesty, empathy, responsibility and good sportsmanship
When representing the ECF at an official event or function, officials must ensure that their actions do not directly or indirectly damage events or discourage sponsors, volunteers and other parties. Standards of dress appropriate to the occasion should be maintained, including compliance with any applicable dress code. Official events or functions are not to be used for the promotion of a non-chess related organisation, business or cause without the prior agreement of the ECF Board
2.6 is essentially a "no political T-shirts" rule, stemming from that Sheffield prize giving.

I thought the code of conduct was intended as general waffle, not something to be used against ECF Directors or Officials for unpublicised reasons.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Worth quoting in full, I think:
ECF website wrote: Temporary suspension from duty
Director of Home Chess Alex Holowczak was given a two week suspension from duty effective 25 August 2015 following a complaint made in accordance with the ECF Complaints Procedure. The investigation found that Mr Holowczak breached the Standards of Conduct for ECF Officials, specifically Regulation 4 paragraphs 2.1 and 2.6. Mr Holowczak is appealing.
Regulation 4 is here (relevant bits quoted by Roger above):

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... onduct.pdf

Who is Director of Home Chess for the next two weeks?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:18 pm

It does seem to be rather unfair to take such action without identifying the complainant or any details of the alleged incident.

Have there been any recent ECF functions that the Director of Home Chess attended?

Suspending an elected Director for an undisclosed offence is a serious and questionable action.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: Have there been any recent ECF functions that the Director of Home Chess attended?

Suspending an elected Director for an undisclosed offence is a serious and questionable action.
Given the length of time to investigate and procrastinate, the original incident, whatever it was, could have been months ago.

The most recent ECF functions would have been the British Championships at the University of Warwick and the English Seniors at the CCF. Before that, there would have been the County Finals early July.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Alex probably won't be able to comment on it either.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm sure the Chief Executive would be delighted to answer questions via the "Ask the CEO" ECF Forum :idea:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:30 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:I'm sure the Chief Executive would be delighted to answer questions via the "Ask the CEO" ECF Forum :idea:
Please not another non-answer I am sure Phil should try politics.

Alex is doing an excellent job as home director.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Alex is doing an excellent job as home director.
Agreed.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:34 pm

If my information is correct this is total hypocrisy on the part of the person who made the complaint.

This person, in a position of authority, has used what was generally regarded as inappropriate language at the other place and has misquoted me in order to try to score petty points. He is the reason that I no longer use the other place.

I would hope that Phil Ehr has the courage to investigate the behaviour of the complainant as well or at least to publically state if he thinks his postings over there have always been acceptable. People who live in glass houses should not be encouraged by the ECF CEO to throw stones.

Is this another case of the ECF shooting itself in the foot?

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 pm

What did he actually do? Curious minds want to know.

Looking at 2.1 and 2.6 the following relatively harmless scenario would fit the bill. Chap has one over the eight whilst attending some official do. Goes off to the toilets but forgets to button his flies. Goes back and when someone points out his problem he lets out an "Oh sh*t!" thereby offending an attending possible sponsor who happens to be of a delicate disposition.

Presumably that wasn't it?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:41 pm

The complaint procedure is here: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... b-2015.pdf

3.5 The outcome of the complaint will be published on the ECF website.
4.6 The outcome of the appeal will be published on the ECF website.

Para 3.5 has not been performed satisfactorily since the complainant retains anonymity, which cannot be correct.