ECF Elections 2015

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
LawrenceCooper

Re: ECF Elections 2015

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:09 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:Two updates that caught my eye:

• Non-Executive Director (John Foley, not standing for re-election to this post)

• Director of Membership (David Thomas, standing for re-election)
How late can a candidate leave declaring an interest in a post?
Right up until the deadline, the latest I've known is a minute before the deadline :shock:

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Angus - its important that the choice of Non Exec isn't left as a Board co-option rather than elected by Council. Do you fancy another stint? - I think I've come to realise that eleventh hour nominations are justified when the alternative is a loss of democratic choice. And if not Angus then is there anybody else out there?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:16 pm

I'm flattered by your suggestion Jonathan but it would require too much time and likely involve a lot of aggro!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Angus French wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:Am I right in thinking that Phil Ehr was nominated for his post by the candidate for a different post - and then proceded to nominate that candidate's opponent?
Yes, in 2013 Roger Edwards nominated Phil for Chief Executive while Phil nominated Andrew Paulson against Roger for President.
Any reason I shouldn't take that as a measure of the man?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:41 pm

Yes. Phil's support for Andrew Poulson was well known to Roger. Roger nominated Phil because he thought he would do a good job as CEO (or: better then another rumoured candidate). This episode says more about Roger's qualities than it says anything about Phil. (Roger and I tried to persuade Andrew Poulson to stand for the post of Commercial Director but he only wanted the Presidency).

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:48 pm

It's a pretty unusual way to proceed, wouldn't you say? I mean normally, if you're proposing to nominate somebody, you shouldn't accept the nomination of their opponent. (Counter-examples would be welcomed.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:02 pm

One hopes that a nomination will come forward for the now vacant NED post so that the Board cannot use the excuse of an empty position to find a sinecure for any unsuccessful candidate in the elections that it wishes to favour!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:56 pm

Laurence Ball stood unsuccessfully last year for NED, would he be a possible candidate again?

It would be good to see at least a couple of Directors in a contested election (not Home Chess), particularly Commercial and CEO as they seem to have garnered the most adverse comment
Any postings on here represent my personal views

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:43 pm

I could be persuaded to stand again if enough people are willing to nominate me.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:55 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I could be persuaded to stand again if enough people are willing to nominate me.
Good luck!

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:38 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I could be persuaded to stand again if enough people are willing to nominate me.
Good show!!
I hope the wheels are already busily turning. No time to lose.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Michael Farthing wrote: I hope the wheels are already busily turning. No time to lose.
Isn't this post on the official forum somewhat objectionable from a timing viewpoint?
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... ?f=4&t=402

I rather thought that it had been agreed that all election addresses would be published simultaneously. A sort of sealed bid or sealed move process.

It underlines the point that Directors only express any interest whatsoever in communication via forums when there's an election to be fought. Total silence for the rest of the year, even when you might wonder whether the ECF directors had ceased to function, given the lack of reporting of their meetings.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:01 pm

I am surprised Bob or Chris haven't cracked down over there or maybe even closed the lot to reappear as a blank on new software!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... ?f=4&t=402

I rather thought that it had been agreed that all election addresses would be published simultaneously. A sort of sealed bid or sealed move process.
All election addresses submitted by the close of nominations are to be published simultaneously on the website after the close of nominations. Those received late will not be published on the website.

The idea is to stop anyone having the opportunity to respond to what someone else has said.

However, a candidate who so wishes is at liberty to publish his or her election address early. Alex Holowczak published his some time ago.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Let us see how long John Foley leaves it then.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard