Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Towers

Re: Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:57 pm

O.G. Urcan wrote:At the Streatham & Brixton Chess Blog on 9 September Justin Horton wrote that Amazon's "Look Inside" function showed only four references to chess in C.J. de Mooi's recent autobiography.

A colleague who has the book tells me that those four mentions are indeed the only ones. The book has nothing about C.J. de Mooi's level of chess activity. The English Chess Federation is not mentioned at all; nor are any chess individuals.
A simplistic interpretation would be that chess played an insignificant part in his life.
A more realistic / cynical interpretation would be that chess doesn't sell or is perhaps even a turnoff and so he has chosen to airbrush an important part of his life.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:39 pm

"A more realistic / cynical interpretation would be that chess doesn't sell or is perhaps even a turnoff and so he has chosen to airbrush an important part of his life."

If you mention chess to non-players they immediately glaze over, (even if you tell them about the punch-ups) and he possibly felt that detail was unnecessary, so "turn off" is probably the reason, though I would have thought the Adventure of the T-Shirt was worth a mention. Tossing a bloke in a canal might be more exciting.

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:01 pm

If he gets charged with murder that should really help sales of his book.

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:29 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"A more realistic / cynical interpretation would be that chess doesn't sell or is perhaps even a turnoff and so he has chosen to airbrush an important part of his life."

If you mention chess to non-players they immediately glaze over, (even if you tell them about the punch-ups) and he possibly felt that detail was unnecessary, so "turn off" is probably the reason, though I would have thought the Adventure of the T-Shirt was worth a mention. Tossing a bloke in a canal might be more exciting.
I would have thought much of his audience for this book will be egg head fans. If thats the case, i wouldnt have thought a short and simple overview of his interest or involvement in chess would be too onerous for the readers to bare.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:04 pm

O.G. Urcan wrote: The English Chess Federation is not mentioned at all
I wonder whether those who elected him as President realised that he would regard the role as so insignificant.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:22 am

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:38 am

JustinHorton wrote:CJ arrested

Hmmm.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:42 am

The Standard doesn't mention his senior role in English chess, but the Telegraph does.

"Connagh, a former president of the English Chess Federation, is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court."
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:43 am

"Hmmm", safest not to say any more, or "Hmmm", something else?

(I predict this thread will get locked very soon.)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:44 am

NickFaulks wrote:The Standard doesn't mention his senior role in English chess, but the Telegraph does.

"Connagh, a former president of the English Chess Federation, is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court."
This may be because the Telegraph writer plays chess.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:46 am

Was there not an editor of the book that could have told him to drop that bit? <sigh>

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:52 am

NickFaulks wrote:The Standard doesn't mention his senior role in English chess, but the Telegraph does.

I phoned them, thinking I might go along, but just got the usual message telling me how important my call was to them.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:57 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:"Hmmm", safest not to say any more, or "Hmmm", something else?

(I predict this thread will get locked very soon.)
It would seem this thread may go south yes.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:03 pm

It's on the BBC now, it flashed up on the 'breaking news' alert...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37437498

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It's on the BBC now
Pure speculation, but is his defence going to be that he made it all up to improve the sensation value of his book?