4NCL North 2015-16

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
LawrenceCooper

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:16 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Maybe a decent chance that Broadland is a rogue typo for NE2? Norfolk isn't precisely a geographically logical place to play 3N from :) Or it might be something else entirely.

Scots invading is good.
Broadland in Div 3 North is correct. I heard some time ago that they had transferred over from the southern division. They are a decent side with an IM on top board and some very solid back up.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm not so sure I wouldn't think 3N was a better bet than 3S from Norfolk. Wakefield/Crewe; or Telford further west? A toss-up, isn't it? Anyway, they've made up their minds. So welcome.

Very disappointing about NE2. Decent bunch of guys. I'd guess the need to field eight boards in Div 2 would be one factor; possibly, teams split between venues (ruling out car-sharing), another.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Well put like that it makes some sense :) Could also be a chance they - I suspect correctly - reckon its an easier shot at promotion this time round. They're presumably favourites.
(Maybe equally hard to finish 4th/5th.).

Looking at the teams last season, NE2 could fairly easily have been rendered non viable by the need for extra 2 players in Div2.

I noticed that no one from Yorkshire seemed to have paid any money yet ;) Can't imagine Bradford folding with so many players and no real indication of it being a threat with Jorvik.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:15 pm

For the 4NCL North league, I`d have thought NE2 could/should be able to put something together..
The 3 Wakefield trips are not too bad travelwise for NE2, so easier than last season.. I`d have thought.

Shame if they've had trouble recruiting players...the NE is big area stretching down to York`s borders.. Are they making full use of the talented players at our Northern Universities... Durham and Newcastle are a veritable pool of potential chess talent

Transport is always tricky....getting players with cars. etc.. and coordinating efforts. Costs can be tricky...but hotel deals are not bad, and hopefully the food offerings will include suitable bar snack offers, etc.. to cater for some/most budgets....
Last years offerings at Daventry for the Finals weekends were pretty reasonable, I thought, with lunchtime bar snacks on offer at good prices.
Its an approach that should gain support from players...and others will go for different options.

But some very attractive matches await those prepared to join the party...and the Saturday evening socials are good, with a wide choice of eateries to be found...even in deepest Cheshire. I`m not particularly a late diner these days...an earlier night and good breakfast on Sunday morning, ready for the days matches...then its off back. Not too late a finish on the Sunday, and a safe trip back one hopes.

Hopefully they will regroup and gather further support..

This weekend was the Northumberland Congress, so hopefully they have been out spreading the word and recruiting new players..

Good chessing....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:24 am

David Robertson wrote:What happens if you form two Pools from four 'pots', as follows: (leave tweaks/disputes aside for the minute; accept rough-n-ready)

Pot A: C2, SoA B, MM1, B1,
Pot B: NE2, MM2, B2, Scot
Pot C: HC, J, 3Cs 2, IoM
Pot D: C3, SoA C, MM3, B3

Now set up Pools by selecting equally from pots, avoiding squad teams in same Pool where possible. So...

Pool A: C2, B1, NE2, MM2, HC, IoM, SoA C, MM3

Pool B: SoA B, MM1, B2, Scot, J, 3Cs 2, C3, B3

Accepting several teams are an unknown quantity, but using a modicum of anticipation, does either Pool look especially out of line?
If we have Broadland Bitterns replacing NE England 2, I think you put them in Pot A in your scenario, as they had an IM on top board last season and would be favourites for a promotion place - pointless until all team entries are confirmed, I know

IoM could be strong if IM Kolbus plays, and they have Keith Allen and Neville Gill too, not sure about strength in depth - let's hope for decent weather for their travelling arrangements
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:01 am

We now have the Manx Ravens & Cheddleton 2&3 having entered, so just waiting for Bradford & Holmes Chapel

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Bradford x 3 confirmed. :D

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:02 pm

I was getting a tiny bit worried :)

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:39 pm

Looking at the lists, I guess the NE are probably a couple of players, or so, short of being able to muster a team for the 4NCL North... depending on transport logistics, etc..
It would be great to see them return at some point..
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:35 am

Mike Truran wrote:Bradford x 3 confirmed. :D
Good news, I hope they were merely working out whether they had enough players for a 4th team, given the venue locations

15 confirmed teams is very good - let's hope Holmes Chapel make it 16

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:18 pm

...... and they just have. :D

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Mike Truran is currently consulting captains over a two-pool model for Div 3N this season, given the adventitious number of teams. Spirit of Atticus have agreed, of course. I hope there's general assent. The model isn't perfect: an APA is better; a Swiss, worse. But the two-pool model does make for lively competition. Let's do it

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:13 pm

"Adventitious"? Top word. Pretty much on a par with my own "serendipitous" in my email to the Div 3 North captains.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:26 am

With 16 teams and 11 rounds, I reckon a Swiss should work fairly well...with seeded early rounds so that the upper and lower tiers have an early encounter to shake the pack.
The latter rounds would then leave plenty of room to sort out the final placings..
I don't think the teams are that precisely rankable to be able to say categorically that no outsiders will figure in the running....so its interesting anyway..
From a travel perspective, some teams might have better journeys... and who knows what the actual team lists might be on any given weekend...

All sorts of other points could be factored in....
I favour a Swiss type option, certainly this season.... even the top v bottom pairings will be good matches, I would think.
The pairings involving teams ranked 3 to about 13 could well produce some interesting results, and maybe a few upsets...
Just looking at gradings.... which do you trust... the FIDE grades or the ECF grades, those alone show huge variances..at this level.

If 4NCL North can grow to 20 teams or more, so much the better......!
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:43 am

David Robertson wrote:Mike Truran is currently consulting captains over a two-pool model for Div 3N this season, given the adventitious number of teams. Spirit of Atticus have agreed, of course. I hope there's general assent. The model isn't perfect: an APA is better; a Swiss, worse. But the two-pool model does make for lively competition. Let's do it
As you say, no perfect solution, and splitting the teams fairly into 2 pools won't be easy, but on the other hand we might not get another chance to try it, so I hope we go for it

There would be some advantage in having the team pairings for the first 7 rounds published in advance, certainty of colour sequences among them