What is a chess club?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

What is a chess club?

Post by David Blower » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:26 am

The question is not as daft as it seems!

But what in your opinion, separates a chess club, opposed to just a bunch of random people meeting to play chess. Hopefully I have explained the concept clearly enough, but if for instance I was to bring a chess set with me to a local pub and randomly played a member of the public, to me that does not constitute a chess club.

Hopefully I have explained what I mean well enough in this post, so what makes up a chess club?

John Hickman

Re: What is a chess club?

Post by John Hickman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:33 am

What's the first rule of chess club?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 am

A chess club is a (possibly loose) group of three or more people who meet regularly to play chess and call themselves a club.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:20 am

Well if you want the obvious test case, is a grouping of players which only exists (as that grouping) to play in the 4NCL considered a chess club?

I imagine a county team definitely isn't, I'd guess people might disagree about the above.

The sane answer I presume being that trying to debate semantics based on natural English is an entirely futile exercise ;)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:32 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:Well if you want the obvious test case, is a grouping of players which only exists (as that grouping) to play in the 4NCL considered a chess club?
Generally speaking they aren't, although where similar teams exist in the London League they are. What about the collective teams in the Yorkshire League? Are they considered a club? Some are of course, having a weekday existence as well as a weekend one.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:44 am

I suggest the existence of officers (beyond a team captain).

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:58 am

Well clearly Martin has expressed the correct interpretation in his last sentence. Looking at Mike's post it occurred to me that a similar intractable problem is to decide what someone's name is. Mine is clearly Michael Fartthing, but is Mike Gunn Mike Gunn? That's what he calls himself, but is that good enough? Is it overridden by a birth certificate saying he is Michael? Indeed I had an argument with the local hospital who insisted on labelling my mother's bed 'Winifred Farthing' instead of 'Mary Farthing', becuase 'that's what her birth certificate said'. Peace was, fortunately, quickly restored with the promised compromise that though labelled as Winifred she would be addressed as Mary.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:23 am

Michael Farthing wrote:Mine is clearly Michael Fartthing
One of the best typing mistakes I've seen in a long time!

There are league clubs that are 'clubs' in name only. The players only turn up on match night; there's no social chess. Usually these 'clubs' field just a single team. However, they count as a club for the purposes of league meetings etc.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:50 am

Ian Kingston wrote:
!! So good I shall leave it uncorrected!

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:09 pm

You could think of chess clubs being on a continuum.

At one end you have a club like Bradford Central in the Yorkshire League - they comprise of members of other clubs and the club only exists to play 11 matches a season on Saturdays.

At the other end you have (e.g.) the Marshall Chess Club or St. Louis CSC that host daily tournaments, actively aim to promote chess, invited GMs and top coaches and people will travel there from all around the world.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Ian Kingston wrote:
!! So good I shall leave it uncorrected!
More tea, vicar?

Seriously, Ludwig Wittgenstein answered this and many other questions 70 or 80 years ago: "The meaning is the use". If people call it a chess club then it's a chess club. Similarly for both Michael Farthing and his more flatulent doppelganger.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:29 pm

Please feel free to drop into Kingston on a Monday night. Matches, socials, all at the same time.

Peter Webber

Post by Peter Webber » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:10 pm

I would refer readers of this to my similar post 'Where in the UK to play Chess?' to welcome their views on what a chess club could or should be offering nowadays. Thanks.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Peter Webber wrote:'Where in the UK to play Chess?' to welcome their views on what a chess club could or should be offering nowadays. Thanks.

I don't think you've ever indicated where in the UK you are based. This can affect what chess opportunities are available locally.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:36 pm

Peter has said previously that he lives "in the North Herts./Mid Beds. area."