ELECTIONS AGM LIVE Coverage

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ELECTIONS AGM LIVE Coverage

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: Of interest are the President's views on the code of conduct complaint and the subsequent appeals.
He probably reflected the view of many other readers of this forum. His technical solution of withdrawing the appeals didn't work, but Mike Truran's suggestion that the offence wasn't grave misconduct (or however it was worded) seemed the form of words to resolve matters.

Actually the wording that the Board or part of the Board were deemed to have met in camera may be one to follow for the future. This discloses that an issue was addressed without the detail being made public. If that had been followed in the CAS case, much grief could have been avoided.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:16 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Will they let me in?
I must report that Julian Clissold was extremely helpful. He said there was no problem with my attending as an observer, and that he would very probably allow me to speak if there was any particular issue on which I was bursting to do so. In fact there was not, and my general views were well enough reflected by Council members.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:29 pm

I thought Julian chaired the meeting very well.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:19 pm

Angus French wrote:I thought Julian chaired the meeting very well.
I thought so too. He managed to stay in control and on track throughout.
On some issues he was forced to guillotine follow up questions from the floor - If he hadn't we'd still be there.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Agreed about Julian chairing the meeting very well.

A couple of other thoughts in not particular order (some tongue-in-cheek):

- The ECF should endeavour not to have their AGM clash with major sporting events... :)
- It was a nice touch at the end that thanks and polite and appreciative applause was given to David Anderton (for his years of service), to Julian Clissold for chairing the meeting, to the ECF staff that ensured the meeting went well, and the thanks given to the outgoing committee members (hopefully that made the electoral defeat slightly easier to take).
- The introduction to Council of the new legal advisor was well done (though I am afraid I forget his name).
- The highlight of the AGM was the impassioned speech by David Robertson in support of the key points of the Pearce Report. Regardless of what you think of what needs doing there, it was a great piece of oratory and drew spontaneous applause from the audience at the end.
- The moments of humour helped in what was at times a weighty meeting - the moment when Phil referred to Alex H as McFarlane, when Traci remonstrated with the chair, when Richard Haddrell consistently opposed approval of all director reports (explained by John Philpott elsewhere).
- Paying close attention, you could see the moments when the tension between board members rose to the surface, with stray snipes here and there. Quite where the board goes from here, I don't know, but I hope they can all work together in whatever emerges after this result.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:22 am

... I'm afraid Phil Ehr couldn't make a case for opening a window in midsummer.
Forgive me, I know there must be a lot more to it than this, but this little joke is the seed of a full-grown cultural misunderstanding. Americans don't even think about opening such windows. They simply switch on the air-con knowing that it works best that way.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:14 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Panic on the streets of London
Now if they'd metaphorically hanged the CJ, it would have saved us all a great deal of trouble.
Morrissey may not have been referring to future ECF meeting venues alternating between London and Birmingham when he wrote:
Panic on the streets of London
Panic on the streets of Birmingham
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Agreed about Julian chairing the meeting very well.

A couple of other thoughts in not particular order (some tongue-in-cheek):

- The ECF should endeavour not to have their AGM clash with major sporting events... :)
- It was a nice touch at the end that thanks and polite and appreciative applause was given to David Anderton (for his years of service), to Julian Clissold for chairing the meeting, to the ECF staff that ensured the meeting went well, and the thanks given to the outgoing committee members (hopefully that made the electoral defeat slightly easier to take).
- The introduction to Council of the new legal advisor was well done (though I am afraid I forget his name).
- The highlight of the AGM was the impassioned speech by David Robertson in support of the key points of the Pearce Report. Regardless of what you think of what needs doing there, it was a great piece of oratory and drew spontaneous applause from the audience at the end.
- The moments of humour helped in what was at times a weighty meeting - the moment when Phil referred to Alex H as McFarlane, when Traci remonstrated with the chair, when Richard Haddrell consistently opposed approval of all director reports (explained by John Philpott elsewhere).
- Paying close attention, you could see the moments when the tension between board members rose to the surface, with stray snipes here and there. Quite where the board goes from here, I don't know, but I hope they can all work together in whatever emerges after this result.

i agreed with the whole of it, we need to sort out the infighting, but it is not good when we are dishing out our dirty washing in public!
in the words of Triple H "that not good for business"
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well