The arbiter nexus

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: The arbiter nexus

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:51 am

Martin Regan wrote: In short, it is not achieving a fraction of what those who know it well believe it capable of.
I'd hate to think what the ECF might be capable of.

But for the benefit of those who take part in organised chess in England, what should the ECF be doing, that cannot be done as well or better by some other organisation that isn't the ECF?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:53 am

Alan Kennedy wrote:
Martin Regan wrote:the obsessive ramblings of the Grade Finder in Chief.
No one deserves this sort of abuse. You do a discredit to your arguments by using it.
The be fair to all, the target of that comment does give as good as he gets.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Rdc:
what should the ECF be doing, that cannot be done as well or better by some other organisation that isn't the ECF?
The fact you pose the question is an answer in itself.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I'd hate to think what the ECF might be capable of.
#13016 and absolutely spot on.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:06 pm

Martin Regan wrote: The fact you pose the question is an answer in itself.
You talk in riddles.

Here's an example. The ECF set up a rival to this forum. There's reason to believe the motive was malevolent, but its rumoured closure doesn't suggest it was a successful venture.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Martin Regan wrote:Rdc:
what should the ECF be doing, that cannot be done as well or better by some other organisation that isn't the ECF?
The fact you pose the question is an answer in itself.
No, it isn't. The same was asked about the NHS, and in the wake of privatisations it now appears that the answer may be "more than we thought". But it's still a good question.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Martin Regan wrote:the Grade Finder in Chief.
Apologies if it is obvious who this refers to but who does it refer to? :?

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Rdc:
The ECF set up a rival to this forum. There's reason to believe the motive was malevolent, but its rumoured closure doesn't suggest it was a successful venture.
The ECF played a part in helping to set up this forum, I believe. The fact that it has no links to it now and was reduced to setting up a poor imitation just underlines my point.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:26 pm

Martin Regan wrote: just underlines my point.
which is ?

Thinking through the list of what the ECF does, the only activities that couldn't be franchised, licensed, outsourced or left in the hands of third parties are those where it has the grant of a monopoly, namely being the UK government and other's recognised governing body for chess in England and FIDE's similarly. Even there, FIDE are trying to circumvent the monopoly status of national Federations with direct entry to FIDE competitions by Academies and Arena trying to recruit direct members.

It wouldn't be desirable for the ECF to hand over its grading system, office and website to third parties, but I would think it feasible.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:50 pm

The ECF set up a rival to this forum. There's reason to believe the motive was malevolent, but its rumoured closure doesn't suggest it was a successful venture.
The ECF played a part in helping to set up this forum, I believe. The fact that it has no links to it now and was reduced to setting up a poor imitation just underlines my point.
Not correct it was always just me.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Not correct it was always just me.
It was on the bcfservices domain along with the original grading site but the software, hosting and domain were always mine. Live games were there as well at one point but the ECF had no control over any of it.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Martin Regan wrote:Alan,
I must have missed your interjections when I am routinely accused of "ranting". Address the argument.

I did not address the argument because I have other things to do that speculate whether the ECF lives up to its potential. It is simply not my area of expertise and there are enough voices already.

When I have made points, such as the one below you have largely ignored them. Perhaps you can address the argument that no one deserves that sort of abuse and indeed if Mike Truran's anonymous source is correct it is this sort of abuse that got the ECF into the mess it is now in (ie no CEO and the risk of losing a sponsor).
Alan Kennedy wrote:
Martin Regan wrote:Indeed, and no doubt they would have worked out how we are going to explain to our largest new sponsor for many years - that the men they dealt with have now been sacked.
If the colleague of Mike Truran got the analysis right (see below), which the evidence suggests (s)he did, then the cost of keeping the Directors who harassed and bullied would far outweigh the loss of a sponsor. Perhaps instead of pointing the finger at the electorate you should look to Messrs Foley, Fegan and Kane and the events that led up to Alex H sending an email that was so out of character. In essence what the correspondent below said was that certain individuals failed the fit and proper test which is a precursor to being a board member in a well run organsation.

As regards you points elsewhere about Arbiter Nexus you also need a balance of skills on any board and I hope that the existing board members look to others to strengthen the board.

On a lighter note, I read with interest the mistaking of Alex H for Alex M - I would be delighted if anyone want to mistake me for a 28 year old! :D

Mike Truran wrote:From an esteemed friend and colleague who would prefer to remain anonymous:
In amidst all this guff about traditionalists vs. progressives and the arbiter nexus, it strikes me that Council did something rather simple. They were prepared to forgive occasional bad behaviour and incompetence, but gave short shrift to premeditated harassment and bullying either by individuals or their associates. If that is the case, Council has gone up in my estimation.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:12 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: It was on the bcfservices domain along with the original grading site but the software, hosting and domain were always mine.
Wasn't Chris Majer granted moderation powers for a while? I have this memory of the forum and the ECF being derided by one of the chess press, because there was a period when the forum was closed to new posts because neither of you were available and seemingly no substitute could be pressed into service.

Early posts were much about the Chess in Schools project and the project manager's self publicity in contributing to all known threads even those where he knew little of the background.

This appears to be the first post
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Early posts were much about the Chess in Schools project and the project manager's self publicity in contributing to all known threads even those where he knew little of the background.

I'm sorry, Roger, I just can't resist reposting that!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: It was on the bcfservices domain along with the original grading site but the software, hosting and domain were always mine.
Wasn't Chris Majer granted moderation powers for a while? I have this memory of the forum and the ECF being derided by one of the chess press, because there was a period when the forum was closed to new posts because neither of you were available and seemingly no substitute could be pressed into service.

Early posts were much about the Chess in Schools project and the project manager's self publicity in contributing to all known threads even those where he knew little of the background.

This appears to be the first post
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2
I was on holiday so I vaguely remember pausing the service for a couple of weeks maybe but to be honest I don't recall.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard