British Knockout Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LawrenceCooper

Re: British Knockout Championship

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:16 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:The latest news is that Nigel Short has withdrawn and been replaced by Nick Pert.
http://www.londonchessclassic.com/bkodr ... elease.htm

No announcements to confirm the playing format though.

We can deduce that the quarter finals and semi finals will have at least two games. Whilst that might seem obvious, Hastings one year experimented with a format that game Black more time in an otherwise regular game.
I believe that the quarter and semi finals are 90 minutes with 30 second increment from move one. I don't know about any subsequent play-off rates of play though.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:59 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: No announcements to confirm the playing format though.

We can deduce that the quarter finals and semi finals will have at least two games.
LawrenceCooper wrote:I believe that the quarter and semi finals are 90 minutes with 30 second increment from move one. I don't know about any subsequent play-off rates of play though.
Here are some extracts from the Regulations which should answer the above questions:

“Dates:
Quarter Finals on Tuesday 1st December; Semi Finals on Wednesday 2nd December;
Final from Friday 4th December to Wednesday 9th December with play-off on Thursday 10th December.

Schedule: Quarter Finals and Semi Finals:
Game 1: 1030 - 1430; Game 2: 1530 - 1930: Play-Offs: 2030 - 2230. Minimum 30 minute interval between the two standardplay games and before the play-offs. Minimum 10 minute interval between play-off games.

Time Limits: Standardplay (2 games) 90 mins plus 30 secs/move throughout. Play-Offs (2 games) 15 mins plus 5 secs/move. If still undecided, Armageddon game 6 mins v 5 mins with 3 secs/move from move 61.

The Final:
The Final will be over six standardplay games followed by a play-off if necessary. The six standardplay games will be held in the East Hall alongside Rounds 1 and 3 to 7 of the FIDE Open. The timings will coincide with the FIDE Open. The time limit for the final will be 40 moves in 90 minutes plus all remaining moves in 30 minutes with a 30 second increment throughout.

The play-off, if needed, will be held on Thursday 10th December in the East Hall, starting at 1630. There will be two games at 25 mins plus 5 secs/move, followed if necessary by an Armageddon game as above.

All six games of the Final are to be played, even if the outcome is already decided.”

All games will be transmitted live.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:19 pm

I see the so-called 'British' Knockout Championship has grandmasters from England and Scotland, but doesn't have any Welsh grandmasters!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Wales only has one grandmaster, and he's inactive at the moment. (Well, he's inactive as a player. He's quite active as a chess writer and coach.)

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:17 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Wales only has one grandmaster, and he's inactive at the moment. (Well, he's inactive as a player. He's quite active as a chess writer and coach.)
People are bound to be inactive if they don't get invites.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:36 pm

stevencarr » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:17 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Wales only has one grandmaster, and he's inactive at the moment. (Well, he's inactive as a player. He's quite active as a chess writer and coach.)

People are bound to be inactive if they don't get invites.
He's declined invites to lesser events due to being inactive, and as Mark Jordan did or didn't comment he isn't good enough anyway. :(

If it was the top 16 instead of 8 then that would be a different matter, not bad while inactive.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:44 pm

..and what of the top Northern Irish player? I would certainly rather have some weaker amateurs replace the best players in the name of correct trade description

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:23 am

Does anyone know if they'll be live commentary of this event, or at least if the games will be transmitted live? Couldn't find anything on the Classic website.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:24 am

The games will be on
chess24live
so will no doubt be elsewhere e.g. TWIC

3 days 7 hours and 35 mins to go according to the countdown on chess24live!

Edit sorry, that's the main event

2 hours to go for the Knockout here:
chess24live
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks Mick.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:41 am

Has Nigel dropped out?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:46 am

Simon Brown wrote:Has Nigel dropped out?
Yes, he dropped out through ill health last week.

"British Knockout Championship
Latest: Nigel Short was obliged to withdraw and Nicholas Pert has replaced him"

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:08 am

Nick Burrows wrote:..and what of the top Northern Irish player? I would certainly rather have some weaker amateurs replace the best players in the name of correct trade description
What "trade description"?

The last time I did geography, Northern Ireland was in Ireland not in Great Britain (though it is of course in the UK which is a political fact) and traditionally players from there compete on Irish teams.

I am not aware that there is anyway currently any Northern Irish player who could compete in an event of this kind. The strongest N.I. players are 50+ seniors: IM Mark Orr (who lives in Scotland) and Keith Allen (who I believe lives on the Isle of Man).

I do agree that the Welsh should have been invited to nominate somebody.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 am

Isn't "British" used to justify Jonathan Rowson's invitation to the event? The only other event hosted at the London Chess Classic mentioning a country is the "English Junior Rapidplay" and there is no mention of a non-English reserve if Jonathan had to drop out.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:31 am

Tim Harding wrote: I am not aware that there is anyway currently any Northern Irish player who could compete in an event of this kind. The strongest N.I. players are 50+ seniors: IM Mark Orr (who lives in Scotland) and Keith Allen (who I believe lives on the Isle of Man).
Brian Kelly (2480 inactive) is from Northern Ireland, is he not? If active, he would be the second highest Irish player behind Baburin at 2490.

The highest rated Welsh player is Nigel Davies at 2494, but also inactive.

Rowson is 2569 (inactive). The second Scottish player is Matthew Turner at 2493.