Division Three South (2015-16)

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Division Three South (2015-16)

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:52 pm

There's a report on Telford at the 4NCL site by a member of the Ashfield-Breadsall squad.

http://www.4ncl.co.uk/previousreports/r ... 1-1516.htm

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:18 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:There's a report on Telford at the 4NCL site by a member of the Ashfield-Breadsall squad.

http://www.4ncl.co.uk/previousreports/r ... 1-1516.htm
I'm sure that Mike T will be delighted at the choice of annotated game :oops:

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:04 pm

Not really. :evil:

Have told Steve he's fired. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...... :lol:

Matthew Parry

Post by Matthew Parry » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:29 pm

benedgell wrote: Thanks (on behalf of WiB). Last season we started with 2 wins and went on to get relegated, though... And the match score for the Sunday really doesn't do justice to how close The Rookies came to beating us, in spite of being outrated 150+ points a board.
That's the confidence I look for from my players, Ben! And can you have a word with whoever runs things in the South West and gently suggest that they stop clashing their events with NCL?! It is becoming a nuisance considering half our team is from the South West.

Matthew Parry

Post by Matthew Parry » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:12 am

Having missed the first weekend at the 4NCL this year, I can fully endorse Paul in his view of the Telford playing conditions. Other than tables that seemed to be a little uneven for the Div 4 teams, everything else was excellent; the rooms, service, facilities, water, and convenient shops nearby. Very impressed, and my thanks to the hotel and the 4NCL organisation.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:58 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:After the first weekend, I'd be inclined to suggest that West is Best in pool A and Surbiton in pool B are the teams to watch out for.
And after the second weekend?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:05 am

Mick Norris wrote: And after the second weekend?
West is Best are still going well. In the other pool, the leaders Wessex have only played teams currently in the bottom half. That's what happens if you beat them though.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:37 am

Having missed the first weekend at the 4NCL this year, I can fully endorse Paul in his view of the Telford playing conditions. Other than tables that seemed to be a little uneven for the Div 4 teams, everything else was excellent; the rooms, service, facilities, water, and convenient shops nearby. Very impressed, and my thanks to the hotel and the 4NCL organisation.
Many thanks for the kind words, Matthew. They're appreciated.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Matthew Parry wrote:Having missed the first weekend at the 4NCL this year, I can fully endorse Paul in his view of the Telford playing conditions. Other than tables that seemed to be a little uneven for the Div 4 teams, everything else was excellent; the rooms, service, facilities, water, and convenient shops nearby. Very impressed, and my thanks to the hotel and the 4NCL organisation.
Ditto. Also when I left my phone charger at the hotel after the first weekend the housekeeping staff found it and sent it back to me within the week, which was very much appreciated.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
West is Best are still going well. In the other pool, the leaders Wessex have only played teams currently in the bottom half. That's what happens if you beat them though.
Pretty chuffed with West is Best 1's efforts this weekend. The Shropshire match on the Sunday was one of the big ones for us in our group and we came through well. Especially pleasing that everyone on the team got at least one win on the weekend. One more win and we're in the promotion pool :)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 am

benedgell wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Pretty chuffed with West is Best 1's efforts this weekend. The Shropshire match on the Sunday was one of the big ones for us in our group and we came through well. Especially pleasing that everyone on the team got at least one win on the weekend. One more win and we're in the promotion pool :)
I suspect that you are already in the promotion pool but with only two teams going up you probably can't afford to ease off, except maybe in round 7 :wink:

pauldhatchett

Post by pauldhatchett » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:39 am

Div 3SA is pretty tight in the middle and it is good to see that the MM 1 and WIB 1 have probably the youngest teams and find themselves in the top 2 places. However, the fight to scrape into the promotion pool is likely to be very close. Demotion to Div 4 may be very penalising for player retention.

It is good to see that the league is so competitive. (Just look at the Oxford results.) The new format is much more interesting than the swiss of last year.

On a purely selfish note, I hope that Ben's team continue to dominate given we have already had our lesson!
Paul Hatchett
(Captain - Rhyfelwyr Essyllwg)

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:48 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
benedgell wrote:
I suspect that you are already in the promotion pool but with only two teams going up you probably can't afford to ease off, except maybe in round 7 :wink:
The leeds and oxford matches are likely not to count now, as they are both sitting low in the table and the points will be lost during the merger. It makes it quite handy as they take place during valentines day, when it is notoriously difficult to separate players from their partners for chess matches, so even though west might not be quite their best we will get a free pass.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:58 am

Dangerous thinking that I suspect - it looks tight enough that Leeds/Oxford could sneak into the promotion pool in 4th if they got an 'unexpected' win and I imagine having all the carry over possible is going to be very useful for promotion.
(Same sort of situation with Holmes Chapel and 3C's2/DCA A in Div 3NA.).

Matthew Parry

Post by Matthew Parry » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:09 pm

pauldhatchett wrote:Div 3SA is pretty tight in the middle and it is good to see that the MM 1 and WIB 1 have probably the youngest teams and find themselves in the top 2 places. However, the fight to scrape into the promotion pool is likely to be very close. Demotion to Div 4 may be very penalising for player retention.

It is good to see that the league is so competitive. (Just look at the Oxford results.) The new format is much more interesting than the swiss of last year.

On a purely selfish note, I hope that Ben's team continue to dominate given we have already had our lesson!
It would be good to see both Welsh sides (or at least the Welsh side and the half-Welsh side!) in the Promotion Pool, and not just so we can carry our points against you forward! I haven't managed to get the 50/50 balance in the First Team yet; both weekends it has been 4/2 in favour of the South West, but with Ioan playing, I have high hopes!