Character Assassination

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Nigel_Davies

Re: Character Assassination

Post by Nigel_Davies » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:39 pm

I've reported the last couple of posts as abusive.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:57 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:I've reported the last couple of posts as abusive.
Nigel, if I could I'd like to pass on some advice from a famous Welsh grandmaster:
it might be better to keep taking the tablets
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 pm

At least there's some good material for my coming article on chess forums.

"And when we have an inflated sense of self, we tend to exhibit poor self-control.

"Think of it as a licensing effect: You feel good about yourself so you feel a sense of entitlement," says Keith Wilcox, assistant professor of marketing at Columbia Business School and co-author of the study. "And you want to protect that enhanced view, which might be why people are lashing out so strongly at others who don't share their opinions." These types of behavior—poor self control, inflated sense of self—"are often displayed by people impaired by alcohol," he adds.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100008723 ... 1784405148

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:24 am

Angus French wrote:
Nigel_Davies wrote:I've reported the last post as a breach of copyright.
!
Isn't it ridiculous that Nigel wants us, here on this forum, to comment on his blog posts but doesn't want us to quote from them and won't allow comments on his own blog. Not, of course, that he has anything worthwhile to say.
No comment :lol:

Have you considered the official ECF forum Nigel you could post there without interruption.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:07 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Have you considered the official ECF forum Nigel you could post there without interruption.
They do seem a lot less adolescent and quieter over there but I thought it might be inappropriate for me to join that one since cancelling my ECF membership.

Is a Welsh Chess Forum out of the question?

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:13 am

Nigel_Davies wrote: Is a Welsh Chess Forum out of the question?
It would have to be conducted entirely in the Welsh language of course....
that should ensure a wide readership! :roll:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:Is a Welsh Chess Forum out of the question?
I think that's a great idea, why don't you and Gareth Ellis organise one?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:40 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Nigel_Davies wrote:Is a Welsh Chess Forum out of the question?
How about a forum but without any comments could be a whole new type of web site?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:
I've reported the last post as a breach of copyright.

Nigel... I would be delighted to give you some advice on the articles that you believe are in breach of copyright for a small fee...say £50...mind you, I must warn you that I have no legal qualifications and have never practiced law....additionally my understanding of law is limited.

But I have seen several episodes of the legal drama tv series "Law and order"

Please feel free to forward me any of the offending articles that you believe are in breach of copyright laws.
:wink:
Regards
Martin.
Last edited by Martin Crichton on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
They do seem a lot less adolescent and quieter over there but I thought it might be inappropriate for me to join that one since cancelling my ECF membership.

Necessity is the mother of invention although I'm sure a contributor to several locked threads on here will have much to say on a Welsh Chess forum!

I'm sure you would be welcome on the official forum as there are substantive discussions to be had about how to finally move English chess forward. Dare I suggest that you have an opportunity to engage Malcolm Pein, Dominic Lawson and Mike Truran (provided you don't consider the latter a patzer politician) around the real issues, rather than wasting time with the adolescents on here?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:At least there's some good material for my coming article on chess forums.

"And when we have an inflated sense of self, we tend to exhibit poor self-control.

"Think of it as a licensing effect: You feel good about yourself so you feel a sense of entitlement," says Keith Wilcox, assistant professor of marketing at Columbia Business School and co-author of the study. "And you want to protect that enhanced view, which might be why people are lashing out so strongly at others who don't share their opinions." These types of behavior—poor self control, inflated sense of self—"are often displayed by people impaired by alcohol," he adds.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100008723 ... 1784405148
Excellent - I shall wait for your coming article if, of course, there is a link and if, of course, I am not impaired by alcohol at the time.

By the way, I like the clips of your Chessbase videos that I see on ChessBase Magazine. I suspect they would be very good for the players at which they are aimed.

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Necessity is the mother of invention although I'm sure a contributor to several locked threads on here will have much to say on a Welsh Chess forum!

I'm sure you would be welcome on the official forum as there are substantive discussions to be had about how to finally move English chess forward. Dare I suggest that you have an opportunity to engage Malcolm Pein, Dominic Lawson and Mike Truran (provided you don't consider the latter a patzer politician) around the real issues, rather than wasting time with the adolescents on here?
I dare say I'd be better at running a forum than contributing to one, I'm not good at blending in with the consensus and especially when it features bad manners and possible libel. It isn't rocket science to set one up, the tough part is actually running it once it's going.

I'd be happy to post on the official ECF forum if I was welcome, I'm on good terms with Malcolm and Mike and the place could do with livening up a tad. They made the mistake (in my view) of making it too formal, I think it needs to be loosened up a bit to encourage dialogue. But not too much, there should be some sense of decorum.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Mick Norris » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:

Mick, why bring me into this ?

Although I suppose of all the thread titles, why not after all I've been there before years ago.

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Gareth T Ellis wrote: Although I suppose of all the thread titles, why not after all I've been there before years ago.
Those were the days!

Getting back to the original theme of this thread I do think that internet vendettas are an indication of something much darker than the jovial inebriated backslapping of shadow ASD chess players. It's certainly not something that forums should support and cheer on.