2016 Candidates Moscow 10-29 March

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

2016 Candidates Moscow 10-29 March

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:59 pm

An attempt to bring everything together

10th is the opening ceremony, then 3 rounds + rest day is the pattern

website

pairings

schedule

venue

Tiebreaks hopefully won't be necessary, but just in case;
3. 7 Tie-breaks
If the top two or more players score the same points, the tie will be decided by the following criteria, in order of priority:
a) The results of the games between the players involved in the tie.
If they are still tied:
b) The total number of wins in the tournament of every player involved in the tie.
If they are still tied:
c) Sonneborn - Berger System.

3.7.1.a If there is no clear winner with the above 3 criteria, there will be a special competition between the players who still remain tied after using the 3rd criteria (Sonneborn - Berger): after a new drawing of colors, each tied player will play two (2) tie-break games with the other tied opponent(s). The games shall be played using the electronic clock starting with 25 minutes for each player with an increment of 10 seconds after each move.
3.7.1.b All tie-break games shall be played according to the following:
1. Play is governed by the World Championship Technical Regulations (annex 1), which apply with the exceptions mentioned below in (2), (3) and (4).
2. The players do not need to record the moves. An arbiter shall record the moves.
3. The player who has the move may stop the clocks and consult the Arbiter’s score sheet and if his next move will produce a threefold repetition of position (according to Article 9.2a of the Technical Regulations), or the 50 moves rule (according to Article 9.3a of the Technical Regulations), he himself must write the intended move on the score sheet and claim the draw if he wants. A player can also claim a draw according to Articles 9.2b and 9.3b of the Technical Regulations. If the claim is found to be correct, the game is immediately ended as a draw. If the claim is found to be incorrect, the Arbiter shall add three (3) minutes to the opponent’s remaining time and the game continues with the intended move in accordance with Article 4 of the Technical Regulations. A maximum of two (2) incorrect claims for a draw can be made by each player. If a player makes a third (3rd ) incorrect claim, the arbiter shall declare the game lost for this player.
4. If a game has ended by resignation, checkmate, time loss, stalemate, triple repetition or any other of the ways described in Article 5 of the Technical Regulations, no claim for irregularities shall be accepted (irregularities include clock settings and all other described in Article 7 of the Technical Regulations).
3.7.2 If after the games in Article 3.7.1a there are still players tied for 1st place then, after a new drawing of colours, these players will play blitz games. Each tied player will play two games with the other opponent(s). Each player will receive 5 minutes on his clock + 3 seconds for each move starting from move 1. If there is a tie again, this process will be repeated for the tied players, for a maximum of two (2) more times.
3.7.3.a After the games in paragraph 3.7.2, and if we have only two players still tied, sudden death games will be played. The player who wins the drawing of lots, may choose the colour. White shall receive 5 minutes on the clock and Black shall receive 4 minutes whereupon, after the 60th move, both players shall receive an increment of 3 seconds starting from move 61. In case of a draw the player with the black pieces is declared the winner.
3.7.3.b After the games in paragraph 3.7.2, and if we have three players still tied, sudden death games will be played too. The three players will be initially ranked according to their average FIDE rating described in article 2.4 above. The players initially ranked No.2 and No.3 will play first and the winner will face the player initially ranked No.1. The sudden death games will be played as described in article 3.7.3.a above. The winner of this procedure is No.1 in the final standings and the loser of the final match is No.2 in the final standings.
3.7.3.c After the games in paragraph 3.7.2, and if we have four players still tied, sudden death games will be played too. The four players will be initially ranked according to their average FIDE rating described in article 2.4 above. Then No.1 plays No.4 and No.2 plays No.3 and the two winners play the final match. All the sudden death games will be played as described in article 3.7.3.a above.
The winner of this procedure is No.1 in the final standings and the loser of the final match is No.2 in the final standings.
3.7.3.d After the games in paragraph 3.7.2, and if we have five players still tied, sudden death games will be played too. The five players will be initially ranked according to their average FIDE rating described in article 2.4 above. The players initially ranked No.4 and No.5 will play first and the winner will face the three remaining players as in 3.7.3.c above. All the sudden death games will be played as described in article 3.7.3.a above. The winner of this procedure is No.1 in the final standings and the loser of the final match is No.2 in the final standings.
3.7.3.e After the games in paragraph 3.7.2, and if we have 6 players or more still tied, sudden death games will also be played in accordance with the spirit of articles 3.7.3.b, 3.7.3.c, 3.7.3.d and 3.7.3.e above. Further details will be announced by the Chief Arbiter.
3.7.4 If tie-breaks are needed to determine any other possible qualification spots for the next World Championship cycle, then the procedure described in article 3.7 will be applied as well, including 3.7.1.a, 3.7.1.b, 3.7.2, 3.7.3.a, 3.7.3.b, 3.7.3.c, 3.7.3.d and 3.7.3.e.
There shall be a pause of 10 minutes between all tie-break games, unless the Chief Arbiter decides otherwise.
The main prize is a match v Carlsen in the USA in November
The total minimum prize fund of the Candidates Tournament amounts to 420,000 euros. The amount is net and cleared of any local taxes. The money prizes shall be allocated as follows (minimum in euros):
1st place: 95,000
2nd place: 88,000
3rd place: 75,000
4th place: 55,000
5th place: 40,000
6th place: 28,000
7th place: 22,000
8th place: 17,000
All prize money will be divided equally where players have the same score in the tournament (after 14 rounds).
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Re: 2016 Candidates Moscow 10-29 March

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Regulations state:
The time control for each game shall be: 100 minutes for the first 40 moves, 50 minutes for the next 20 moves and then 15 minutes for the rest of the game plus an additional 30 seconds per move starting from move 1.
regulations

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 am

Based on the published March FIDE ratings, we have:

3 - Caruana 2794
4 - Giri 2793
5 - Nakamura 2790
7 - Aronian 2786
8 - Topalov 2780
12 - Anand 2762
13 - Karjakin 2760
16 - Svidler 2757

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:49 am

chess.com

AGON are going for a rerun of the previously failed attempts to stop other websites from transmitting the moves

Svidler interview

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:36 am

Mick Norris wrote: AGON are going for a rerun of the previously failed attempts to stop other websites from transmitting the moves
That's showing immense confidence in both their product and for that matter their servers.

What's more likely to happen is that if potential spectators are unable to watch the games with their favourite interface and commentators, they will lose interest, particularly if all that's on offer is the Berlin.

Different management I know, but I though Agon got off to a poor start in its mission to bring chess to a wider audience, with its first tournament in London being for invited guests only.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:35 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:... particularly if all that's on offer is the Berlin.
Not everybody would mind that.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: AGON are going for a rerun of the previously failed attempts to stop other websites from transmitting the moves
That's showing immense confidence in both their product and for that matter their servers.

What's more likely to happen is that if potential spectators are unable to watch the games with their favourite interface and commentators, they will lose interest, particularly if all that's on offer is the Berlin.

Different management I know, but I though Agon got off to a poor start in its mission to bring chess to a wider audience, with its first tournament in London being for invited guests only.
chessdom statement

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Different management I know, but I though Agon got off to a poor start in its mission to bring chess to a wider audience, with its first tournament in London being for invited guests only.
Not too mention their first release of the chesscasting platform: if the only live broadcasting of the candidates uses again those "innovative" red pieces, I'll probably just check the results at the end of play...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Is it clear to anybody whether the intention is to prevent discussion and posting of the moves on sites like this,for instance, or on Twitter?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:36 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Is it clear to anybody whether the intention is to prevent discussion and posting of the moves on sites like this,for instance, or on Twitter?

It depends how you read what is suggested will be the terms and conditions of viewing their site.

For all their wittering on about other sports not allowing coverage, it remains a fact that newspaper based blogs offer live text commentary of games as they happen.
Tonight ( Wed 9th March) involving a Russian team is an example.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/liv ... st-16-live

Agon's move is self defeating. Will there not be a time when they need to use the network of chess websites to help publicity for one of their not quite flagship events? Indeed you could say that the audience for on-line chess which Agon are seeking to exploit has been built up by the regular coverage of events of lesser status than the Candidates and World Championship.

I'm not sure how much FIDE signed away. Do FIDE and thus by implication national Federations and their Delegates to FIDE meetings have any say in how what is nominally their competition is broadcast, or in this case, not broadcast?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:14 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Is it clear to anybody whether the intention is to prevent discussion and posting of the moves on sites like this,for instance, or on Twitter?
I don't think so, as long as we are each following the games live via the official website, I think that stimulating traffic too it is good

As Mark Crowther at TWIC says, the official site should be the go to one for coverage, as it should have good video, and commentary - although s Roger has said, the key is whether they can cope with the volume of people wanted to access it

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:36 pm

Mmm, but it's not at all clear to me whether, if I tweet the moves or reproduce them (as we often do) on here, whether AGON consider that in breach of their conditions. And it ought to be clear.

(What I'm saying is, they may very well just be taking aim at Chess24 and/or Chessbomb, Chessdom or whoever. But as far as I can see they are not saying that.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:52 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Mmm, but it's not at all clear to me whether, if I tweet the moves or reproduce them (as we often do) on here, whether AGON consider that in breach of their conditions. And it ought to be clear.

(What I'm saying is, they may very well just be taking aim at Chess24 and/or Chessbomb, Chessdom or whoever. But as far as I can see they are not saying that.)
Fair comment, I think that AGON have no legal grounds enforceable, but it isn't me that they will be enforcing it against

I think Carl needs to decide if he is ok with us discussing the moves on here during the games (I would say the ECF need to do similar, but assume no-one will be using the ECF Forum)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Jack is absolutely fine with it, for what it's worth.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:16 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Mmm, but it's not at all clear to me whether, if I tweet the moves or reproduce them (as we often do) on here, whether AGON consider that in breach of their conditions. And it ought to be clear.

I just asked the website editor Dylan McClain specifically about this and here is what he wrote back:

"On the question of the games on the English chess forum, they can be discussed and people can post a few moves, but that is all. No one can, say, watch the official site and then type in the moves on a server and reconstruct the games while they are in progress, move by move. But after the games are done, actually a couple of hours afterward, Agon will make complete PGNs available for download for free. The only thing they are trying to protect is the exclusivity of the broadcast during the broadcast."

My interpretation of this is that we cannot do what I did today, i.e. post in full the ongoing Muzychuk-Hou Yifan pgn (which I updated a few times - if anyone was watching)

But I could have posted the first 9 moves and asked was this or that a novelty,

or I could have said at some point "Looks like so-and-so has blundered with their 19th move." And others could comment with what they thought, or their engines at home said, but not quote the Agon commentators.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com