What should happen in this situation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

What should happen in this situation?

Post by David Blower » Sat May 14, 2016 1:08 am

Player A and Player B are playing chess. Player B makes his move, but does not press his clock.

A teammate of player B watching the game, tells player B that he should press his clock after his move.

Player A now claims the game due to assistance from a teammate.

If you are an arbiter in this situation what would you do?

MJMcCready

Re: What should happen in this situation?

Post by MJMcCready » Sat May 14, 2016 7:32 am

Expel the offender and continue the game according to that below.

If someone observes an irregularity, he may inform only the arbiter. Players in other games are not to speak about or otherwise interfere in a game. Spectators are not allowed to interfere in a game. The arbiter may expel offenders from the playing venue.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat May 14, 2016 7:46 am

Player A should win. Anyone that sad clearly needs cheering up.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 14, 2016 7:59 am

MJMcCready wrote:Expel the offender and continue the game according to that below.
Yes, but shouldn't there also be some punishment for the team? If the offender is still playing his own game, then expulsion would be quite serious, but this generally happens when the teammate's own game is finished.

I saw this happen quite blatantly at an Olympiad - I think the victims were USA and the match result was affected. I felt at the time that the problem needed to be addressed, and I still do.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat May 14, 2016 8:17 am

It even happened to me about 25 years ago, some form of punishment should be in order I suppose, some additional minutes added or something.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat May 14, 2016 8:20 am

Michael Farthing wrote:Player A should win. Anyone that sad clearly needs cheering up.
:D Well, you cheered me up with a great response

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat May 14, 2016 10:01 am

The player could be an innocent party - in a league you could fine the team a game point perhaps.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 14, 2016 10:09 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: in a league you could fine the team a game point perhaps.
I think that would be fully justified. This behaviour is cheating, pure and simple.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Sat May 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Player A should win. Anyone that sad clearly needs cheering up.
Obviously, no one should interfere with the game.

Outside of top-level chess though, do you really want to win a game because your opponent forgot to press their clock? I will wait a few moments then point it out myself if my opponent forgets. What's the alternative? Sit there for 15, 20 minutes until their time runs down and they notice? It's only a game. What happened to sportsmanship? I would be pretty unhappy to win a game simply because I watched my opponent's time run out.

That's my 2c worth. Of course, there will be many others who believe you should win by any means possible. Hey, life's too short....

Andy Price

Post by Andy Price » Sat May 14, 2016 8:15 pm

What do you do if your opponent makes a move, forgets to press his clock, then dashes out of the room for a 'comfort break'?
When they come back in the room they might see their clock going and assume you've made a move.
Or they could accuse you of fiddling the clock in their absence. All sorts of possibilities for an argument to develop.
In normal circumstances I find it hard to concentrate anyway if my opponent hasn't pressed the clock. I usually warn them the
first two or three times, but after that I try to forget about it and take a reasonable amount of time, make my move then pointedly
tap the button on my side.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Ray Sayers wrote: Outside of top-level chess though, do you really want to win a game because your opponent forgot to press their clock?
No, I mention it if I notice, at least the first time, but that isn't the question being asked. If a teammate tells them, that is cheating.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Sat May 14, 2016 9:47 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Ray Sayers wrote: Outside of top-level chess though, do you really want to win a game because your opponent forgot to press their clock?
No, I mention it if I notice, at least the first time, but that isn't the question being asked. If a teammate tells them, that is cheating.
You forgot to quote my first sentence though, which basically agrees with that.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Ray Sayers wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
You forgot to quote my first sentence though, which basically agrees with that.
Fair enough, no disagreement.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sun May 15, 2016 12:06 am

Is the only penalty available to the arbiter to expell the offending player from the room?

In that case what would stop a club using their best player to give advice on moves to teammates during the game?

Of course it could be said that player B had got advice in accordance with chess rule 11.3a: During play the players are forbidden to use any notes, sources of information or advice, or analyse any game on another chessboard.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sun May 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Player A did indeed win. I was player A.

My opponent agreed with my claim and resigned.