Lucky Pens

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Richard Bates

Lucky Pens

Post by Richard Bates » Sun May 15, 2016 10:01 am

Is this the beginning of the end???

http://en.chessbase.com/post/anti-cheat ... u-olympiad
"During the forthcoming Olympiad we will make some precautionary measures. Of course, there will be gates for security. It's mainly for security but it will also produce a sound if someone has anything small in the pocket. The players will be not allowed to bring mobiles, watches and pens. The organizers will provide pens for every player"

NickFaulks

Re: Lucky Pens

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 15, 2016 10:38 am

It seems safe to bet that they won't work.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 15, 2016 10:47 am

No way can I play without my transparent black Bic.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun May 15, 2016 11:05 am

Don't see anything wrong with the principle of provided pens only for a much smaller event. Slightly paranoid but minimal harm.

For an entire olympiad? That could make for quite an impressive mess. That and arbiters being rushed off their feet providing pens that work :)

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Sun May 15, 2016 11:16 am

Ban lucky grollies next.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun May 15, 2016 11:19 am

"The players will be not allowed to bring mobiles, watches and pens. The organizers will provide pens for every player"
One practical difference with the organisers providing pens instead of players is if it stops working.

If my own pen stops working it's my problem to find another one to write down my last move before making another one.

If a pen supplied by the organisers stops working I'd be entitled to stop the clock and report the faulty pen to the arbiter for them to deal with.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun May 15, 2016 11:22 am

NickFaulks wrote:It seems safe to bet that they won't work.
They will need to rush through an amendment to the FIDE Laws of Chess allowing a player to stop the clock and call the arbiter if they have any difficulties with the pen.

Edit: re Ian Thompson - SNAP!
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 15, 2016 11:23 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:Don't see anything wrong with the principle of provided pens
I do, I can guarantee that around move 30 it will stop working. I realise you mentioned that point yourself.

I always take a pencil, which is less likely to fail.

EDIT - There seems to be a high degree of agreement here!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun May 15, 2016 11:32 am

Nick, I realise I inadvertently gave the solution to the problem in my edit to my previous post. Players should, of course, 'accidentally' snap their competition supplied pens until they run out.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun May 15, 2016 11:41 am

Feck sake, we do like to comment on pointless little things; it is more little in the near future no pen will be needed

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun May 15, 2016 11:54 am

Alan Walton wrote:Feck sake, we do like to comment on pointless little things; it is more little in the near future no pen will be needed
Whatever your views on pens, one thing they don't conventionally lack is a point.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun May 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Players not being allowed watches, whatever next? :roll:

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun May 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Alan Walton wrote:Feck sake, we do like to comment on pointless little things; it is more little in the near future no pen will be needed
There'd be much more on the forum if the organisers wished to stop players from bringing their own sandwiches :P

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun May 15, 2016 9:46 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
There'd be much more on the forum if the organisers wished to stop players from bringing their own sandwiches :P
Oy!
Don't give them ideas!

First they came for the watches. Then they came for the pens. Then they came for the sandwiches. Finally they came for the flasks of tea and coffee!

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun May 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Oy!
Don't give them ideas!

First they came for the watches. Then they came for the pens. Then they came for the sandwiches. Finally they came for the flasks of tea and coffee!

They already do that in the 4NCL!

12.11 Food and drink may not be consumed within the hotel buildings or the hotel car park unless it has been purchased from the hotel, or is being consumed in the guest’s bedroom. This applies both to players and any accompanying persons.