Branko Pribanich

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Neil Graham

Branko Pribanich

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Whilst looking for something else online I found a note that Branko Pribanich who was well-known in MCCU and Northamptonshire chess circles had been found dead in his flat in Northampton earlier this year. Perhaps anyone with more details can add to the thread?

Clive Blackburn

Re: Branko Pribanich

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:05 am

I was very sad to read this. During my time at Northampton Chess Club, I played a lot of club games against Branko (more often known as "Paul").

I have been to several congresses with him and also went to his flat occasionally to play games, which I always enjoyed. He was a much stronger player than me and I learnt a great deal from analysing them with him.

The last time i saw him was at a Leamington Rapidplay Congress where we had a long chat between rounds. He told me that he was being treated for a heart problem and while he was still playing chess, he was trying to just enjoy it and not take the games so seriously.

When he was younger, he did have a very intense presence at the board and often exploded in temper when he lost! Away from the board (or after winning a game) he could be charming.

He was very well known on the Midlands and London chess scenes, especially by congress officials as many of his games ended in disputes! He was always a fighting player who hated draws and had a strong personality. He will be missed by everyone involved in Northants chess, it will not be the same without him. :-(

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:15 am

On googling, I find that Branko was born in 1940 http://www.chessrating.info/fideid/1452 ... ch-Branko/

I know that after leaving Croatia he lived for some years in Australia, before moving to England. He was a successful tournament player while in Australia and I remember him showing me some newspaper cuttings reporting his results.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:55 am

Branko’s funeral will be at the Northampton Crematorium, Towcester Road , Northampton NN4 9RN on Tuesday 21 June at 9.30am.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:47 pm

A sad loss for Northamptonshire and the Beds. league. The last time I saw Branko or 'Paul' as we called him play, he touched a piece and then tried to move another in a county game against Suffolk, much to the disagreement of his opponent. I always found his games interesting, often he would play unusual lines and go for complicated positions.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:23 pm

I was saddened to learn of Branko's passing.

I first met him when I joined Northampton Chess Club in 1989 (he was a member from 1974 onwards) and it was clear that he was one of the club's top players. He regularly played in the Silver King League in Northamptonshire and in the Bedfordshire League. He also played in county teams - initially Northamptonshire and later Bedfordshire. It was a rarity for Branko to be unavailable to play in a match.

His individual achievements included 15 Club Championships, 8 Northamptonshire County Championships and 1 Bedfordshire County Championship. He also played in teams that won the Silver King League, the John Robinson Knockout Cup, the Bedfordshire League (as Captain) and the National Minor Counties Championship.

RIP Branko.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:52 pm

Thanks Alan, Branko was a colourful character over the board and off it. It is a great shame that he is no longer with us.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Dave Rumens once commented to me that, in the 1970s, Pribanich slaughtered him.