EU referendum aftermath

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Ian Thompson

Re: EU referendum aftermath

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:I don't remember anyone, on either side of the campaign, mentioning this:

"the outcome of the recent renegotiation of the UK’s membership terms will, in the event of a vote to leave the EU, fall the moment the result of the referendum is known." (Para 13 of the report).
MartinCarpenter wrote:Honestly, at that point I think the EU would throw us out :)
Not sure if that's referring to my previous post or not. The report says that the European Council has stated that the revised membership terms were agreed subject to a 'Remain' referendum vote. Presumably the UK would prefer them to continue to apply after a 'Leave' vote.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:51 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: "the outcome of the recent renegotiation of the UK’s membership terms will, in the event of a vote to leave the EU, fall the moment the result of the referendum is known." (Para 13 of the report).
I thought that was obvious. The "renegotiation" was a joke anyway.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:34 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
David Gilbert wrote:Last month the House of Lords published a short Report setting out the process for withdrawal and some of the key issues we and the remaining members of the EU will face. It might be of interest here:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 38/138.pdf
I don't remember anyone, on either side of the campaign, mentioning this:

"the outcome of the recent renegotiation of the UK’s membership terms will, in the event of a vote to leave the EU, fall the moment the result of the referendum is known." (Para 13 of the report).
I do, but it was hard to learn anything as my bullshitometer kept going off loudly :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:38 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Honestly both major parties could do with splitting in two, but our ***** electoral system doesn't let that work.
I heard on Radio 5 Live this am (including a few mentions of Theresa May :lol: ) that the Lib Dems will campaign at the next election for us to stay in the EU

I actually think the only chance Labour has is to include a commitment to PR for future elections - if that arises, then there is no need for the current party structures to stay, and I agree that both may need to break up

However, AWIALTIP so predictions are pointless

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Mick Norris wrote: I heard on Radio 5 Live this am (including a few mentions of Theresa May :lol: )
I heard that too, but very shortly after my post. Liam Fox, when prodded, said that he did not consider that Theresa May would be a suitable new leader. On the betting markets, the odds against her success lengthened slightly. His went out sharply.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Yes, but Theresa Villiers then added comments to contradict Liam I thought

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Indeed she did. But early days.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:56 pm

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:57 pm

In case anyone was wondering I'm following the 'Boy' George example and am currently in hiding in the back of the wardrobe - watin' and hopin' to escape into Narnia.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:57 pm

He's in a bunker somewhere with Mark Carney, saving the world.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:06 pm

John McKenna wrote:In case anyone was wondering I'm following the 'Boy' George example and am currently in hiding in the back of the wardrobe
Thought he came out a good while ago. Not a well kept secret if he didn't.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:15 pm

I got 4/5. If you beat that, you're probably using computer assistance.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:Honestly both major parties could do with splitting in two, but our ***** electoral system doesn't let that work.
I heard on Radio 5 Live this am (including a few mentions of Theresa May :lol: ) that the Lib Dems will campaign at the next election for us to stay in the EU
I really don't think (which was the point I was trying to make above) that Europe will give us that much time. They're giving strong indications of wanting this sorted even before we get a replacement PM, let alone anything else.

Not sure even a general election would help so much - there isn't near a parliamentary majority in favour of brexit now, and its very hard to imagine one in the near future.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:23 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote: I really don't think (which was the point I was trying to make above) that Europe will give us that much time. They're giving strong indications of wanting this sorted even before we get a replacement PM, let alone anything else.
Stuff them. The timing is ours, not theirs.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:29 pm

Very hard to imagine what the results of snap GE would look like, Martin.
NickFaulks wrote:
John McKenna wrote:In case anyone was wondering I'm following the 'Boy' George example and am currently in hiding in the back of the wardrobe
Thought he came out a good while ago. Not a well kept secret if he didn't.
You're talking about the real one not the faker.