Bandar Anzali, Iran

The very latest International round up of English news.
Leonard Barden

Re: Bandar Anzali, Iran

Post by Leonard Barden » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Nigel has crushed Iran's No1 Ghaem Maghami in 31 moves this afternoon to take his score to 7/8. The Iranian 16-year-old appears to be losing, so Nigel will probably be 1.5 points ahead in the individual classification with two rounds to go.

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Finished with 8.5/10 - a 2790 performance - collecting 14.2 rating points. I am writing this from Imam Khomeini Airport. I can't wait to leave. It was an absolutely knackering experience.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Great result. I have found that I play better when there are severe non-chess problems (bereavements etc.)

But I guess that doesn't apply to proper players!

Mike W. Richardt

Post by Mike W. Richardt » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Nigel Short wrote:Some kind Iranian installed some software which enables me to bypass the censorship. Unfortunately it makes an already slow Internet connection even slower. I can't always get online.
Most likely a VPN = Virtual Private Network.
I have to used one since I moved to Abu Dhabi as most western news agencies and other website with westerns views are blocked.
My childhood German chess club (SvG Plettenberg) is even blocked!!!!

Welcome to the 15th century!!!!
Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri - I am not bound to believe in the word of any master
http://www.mikerichardt.co.uk

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:16 pm

It should be noted that Iran has just won the World Under 16 Youth Olympiad, crushing Russia along the way. Three of the team, including their superstar, Parham Maghsoodloo, went straight from Anzali to Slovakia.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Nigel Short wrote:It should be noted that Iran has just won the World Under 16 Youth Olympiad, crushing Russia along the way. Three of the team, including their superstar, Parham Maghsoodloo, went straight from Anzali to Slovakia.
And theses three teenagers were champions of Iran :D

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Mike W. Richardt wrote:
Nigel Short wrote:Some kind Iranian installed some software which enables me to bypass the censorship. Unfortunately it makes an already slow Internet connection even slower. I can't always get online.
Most likely a VPN = Virtual Private Network.
I have to used one since I moved to Abu Dhabi as most western news agencies and other website with westerns views are blocked.
My childhood German chess club (SvG Plettenberg) is even blocked!!!!

Welcome to the 15th century!!!!
Yes, the 2009 happenings forced the government to blocked sites like youtube

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:33 pm

I found out that the Regulations says nothing about the prize!!
What did you play for GM Short?

Here is the regulations

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:21 am

Strangely, I now connected to facebook without the use of any anti-filtering software!!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:58 am

Hopefully, it is one of the results of anti-freeze diplomacy, but I wouldn't count on it.

What about YouTube? Can you do it, too, now?

By the way, in answer to your above question -Nigel never did say how much he was paid for his extreme excertions in winning this event hands down.

Well, as a rough guide, he has just de-throned GM David Howell to become the latest Champion of England. For that he will receive a prize of £20,000 (plus expenses?)

After losing his WC match, versus Kasparov, as the uncrowned prince of world chess he used to demand an appearance fee of £10,000. I don't know how much he can command these days.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:11 am

I can use youtube too without anti-filter softwares, but I'm not sure if it is just me or the clients of my ISP pr the whole Iran.
Congrats to GM Short for having won the BCC.
And how do you differentiate between 'demand' and 'command' in your last paragraph?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:18 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: And how do you differentiate between 'demand' and 'command' in your last paragraph?
In this context demand tends to mean that a fee is asked for, whereas command means that the likely fee is known and would be offered without quibble.