87th FIDE Congress; FIDE's financial situation

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: 87th FIDE Congress; FIDE's financial situation

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Chris Rice wrote: Ah I see, so if the President's lavish expenditure on travel expenses and pandering to the South Koreans had been more accurately budgeted for in advance you would have been OK with that?
I said nothing of the sort, but you know that perfectly well. I said that it did not take an external audit to reveal these extra expenses, they were a visible embarrassment when they were incurred. If this behaviour is not now stopped, your stated hope that FIDE will go into bankruptcy will be realised.

My feeling is that the brighter sparks on the PB have noticed this and that the Treasurer's comments on expenses will be taken seriously. Perhaps I am wrong and you are right, we shall see. The same applies to the proper enforcement of agreements made with various business partners.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:56 pm

Mike & Nick, I beg to differ on a firm of accountants / external auditors not having a clue.
On external audit it is not only on the statement of accounts it is also reporting as an on-going concern.

Anyway it is also nice to hear the opinions on those taking the trouble to go to Baku and give feedback via this forum - or also from ECF.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:03 pm

...... and (hopefully) the opinion of a chartered accountant and former auditor.

BTW It wasn't me who said that accountants/auditors don't have a clue.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:20 pm

When do Federations actually pay money to FIDE? Is it an annual amount, and what time of year is it payable?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:38 pm

Mick Norris wrote:When do Federations actually pay money to FIDE? Is it an annual amount, and what time of year is it payable?
From the Financial Regulations

https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html ... w=category

"7.1 In January and July each year, the Secretariat shall invoice all the federations for the services of the previous six months and additionally in January shall include the annual membership fees. Any Federation settling all outstanding amounts by the following 15 March or 15 September respectively shall be entitled to deduct 5% from the amount due."
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:35 am

OK, so the USCF has paid FIDE since Kirsan was on the US Sanctions list, presumably they checked this was ok with the US Treasury

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:56 am

Mick Norris wrote:OK, so the USCF has paid FIDE since Kirsan was on the US Sanctions list, presumably they checked this was ok with the US Treasury
I don't imagine they gave it a thought, but I'll ask. If the Mushrooms Club President were on some blacklist, I would not be worried about continuing to pay my membership fee.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:57 pm

FIDE pay money to Kirsan, and that's what the US Sanctions are designed to prevent I would have thought, although I don't know how the sanctions work in the US

Something for the ECF to watch out for if Kirsan gets on the UK Sanctions list, but I would assume the ECF asked the UK Treasury about this once they were aware that he was on the US list

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:46 pm

It appears Kirsan is upping the stakes on these UN Sanctions in recent days as I heard that he was asking for US citizenship and now this from Russian Life News on Twitter:

"Ilyumzhinov is ready to sit on the electric chair in the United States if they prove his guilt"

https://twitter.com/lifenews_ru/status/ ... 8785225728

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Heh brilliant
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:06 pm

I've just seen this, which has emerged from the Congress.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... ealth.html

It's a headline on the front page, so it must be important, but what can it mean?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:21 pm

NickFaulks wrote:I've just seen this, which has emerged from the Congress.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... ealth.html

It's a headline on the front page, so it must be important, but what can it mean?
Compulsory pre-game fitness tests, banning of staple foods (bread and pasta), and drink as much coffee as you can without drinking too much?