Do I need to be England Federation In Fide to play world youth ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Caitano Demelo

Do I need to be England Federation In Fide to play world youth ?

Post by Caitano Demelo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:47 am

Hi ,

I am Caitano Demelo from Mumbai , India .My Nationality = Portugal .I had been playing in India since 4 years with My fide I'd No = 35080008 .
I have Now settled in London , England I had arrived on June 2nd 2016 and played till now 2 std tournaments and 2 rapid wanted to know My current Federation = India . So if I want to play World Youth and British Chess Championship Will need to change it to England .And what are the benifits on being a England member and playing .If it's Yes I must be an England member than can I know what are the charges to change my federation from India - England . Thanks

Roger de Coverly

Re: Do I need to be England Federation In Fide to play world youth ?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 am

Caitano Demelo wrote:So if I want to play World Youth and British Chess Championship Will need to change it to England
Eligibility to play in the British Chess Championship is residency based for non British nationals. There's no need to change the FIDE Federation to ENG. World Youth is down to whichever Federation will select you to play.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:59 pm

The regulations regarding qualification to play in the British Championships for 2016 (2017 are not yet published, but should be similar) are given here: http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... gulations/
Entitlement to Play in the British Championships
(d) not less than one year continuous ordinary residence in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ending on the 30th June in the calendar year of the Championship in question,
The fact that your residency began on 2nd June 2016 would entitle you to play in the Junior sections of the 2017 Championships. There are additional qualification requirements for the main Championship event.

Caitano Demelo

Post by Caitano Demelo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 pm

Will I need to change the federation to England to play British championship and world youth ?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Caitano Demelo wrote:Will I need to change the federation to England to play British championship and world youth ?
Eligibility for the British Championships including the junior events is based on residence as posted earlier in this thread.

Selection for World Youth is made by national Federations who no doubt have as many rules as there are Federations. If IND or POR wouldn't select you if you are resident in England, that just leaves ENG. But there are playing standards to be met for players to be selected to play as ENG.

Caitano Demelo

Post by Caitano Demelo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:50 pm

How much will it cost for ENG Fed ?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:48 am

Caitano Demelo wrote:How much will it cost for ENG Fed ?
The FIDE Handbook, available on the FIDE website: https://www.fide.com/component/handbook ... w=category

Provided you haven't represented India there doesn't seem to be a fee involved. The ECF Office should be able to assist you.

Caitano Demelo

Post by Caitano Demelo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:29 pm

There will be No fee ? and how can I change it ?

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Caitano Demelo wrote:There will be No fee ? and how can I change it ?
I think there is a notification fee of €250. There may be a transfer fee if you have represented your current federation in an official FIDE event and wish to represent your new federation. There is unlikely to be a compensation fee.

I have no idea who pays the notification fee, but it will probably have to be you. You could contact the ECF Office who might be able to help.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:42 pm

3.4 No Notification Fee is required for players under the FIDE flag who have never represented a National Federation in their career.
All the information is available in the FIDE Handbook (see previous post).
Registration would be handled by the ECF Office so it would be best to contact them and they will sort it out for you.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:22 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:All the information is available in the FIDE Handbook (see previous post).
Registration would be handled by the ECF Office so it would be best to contact them and they will sort it out for you.
I don't believe the FIDE Handbook is particularly easy to read, particularly for a young person for whom English may not be a first language.

For example, I interpreted this
3.4 No Notification Fee is required for players under the FIDE flag who have never represented a National Federation in their career.
as referring to stateless individuals or the likes.

(There are also references to things such as "citizenship" or "residence", the meaning of which is not entirely clear). Possibly everyone knows how these are interpreted in practice.

What are the contact details for the ECF Office?

Caitano Demelo

Post by Caitano Demelo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:42 pm

Well English is my first language and can I know how to Change the federation to England ? And where I have to go or what I have to do ?.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:52 pm

I suggest you contact the director of junior chess at the ECF using the email address: [email protected], general email contact details for the ECF are on this page http://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/ecf-officials/.

The ECF have a junior area of their website http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/, and you should consider playing in some of the tournaments on this page http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/play ... rand-prix/.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Caitano Demelo wrote:Well English is my first language and can I know how to Change the federation to England ? And where I have to go or what I have to do ?.
Your request to change Federation should be made to the ECF Office.
Contact details are given at the top of the ECF website home page: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/

The Watch Oak, Chain Lane, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0YD Tel: 01424 775222 Fax: 01424 775904 Email: [email protected]
The Office Manager, Gary Willson, and staff are very helpful.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:39 pm

Yes as Michael says Gary Wilson is very helpful and contacting him via [email protected] would be a sensible approach.