ECF elections 2016

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alan Kennedy

Re: ECF elections 2016

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:25 am

IanCalvert wrote: I will now consider legal action.
One of the reasons why I no longer organise chess events is that I got tired of players being unappreciative and occasionally "going off on one" when I took a correct decision they disliked. Your approach does nothing to pursuade me to return to the task. I used to teach children that the referree (arbiter) is right even when he is wrong. Did anyone teach you the same lesson?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
IanCalvert wrote:saying that getting a game was a relevant factor in my (and others) choice of congress.
The annual Herts Congress used to advertise that no full point byes were ever given. This was back in the days of Glyn Jones who had his own eccentricities regarding pairings. If they didn't cross pair across sections, they had several assistant organisers who would be put in as a substitute player.

FIDE rules might inhibit this, not allowing a named arbiter to play in their own tournament.

Unlike the British Championship where in the past there may have been unwritten rules about not pairing the Perts, e2e4 pairings will follow the book, or rather the computer pairing engine.
Although we don't advertise the fact we do try to give everyone the option, at least, of a graded should we not be able to find a filler that satisfies the criteria for the game to count in the competition.

One year in the Open we had a player on a bye in the last round who wanted a game. We managed to pair him against one of his previous opponents whose own opponent had not shown up. Both players agreed to play again (with colours reversed, of course).

It is much easier for the organiser to take into account a player's particular circumstances if the Controller is made aware of them at the start of the competition. Sometimes (not always) it is possible to telephone a local player willing to play a single game.

The number of volunteers willing to involve themselves in congresses is very limited and the introduction of computer pairings is a great boon.

Glynne is fondly remembered for all his efforts in running both adult and junior competitions. He was a great supporter of the UKCC in its early days.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:41 am

I am the person Angus refers to above who is intending to stand as Chairman of Council. Many of you may recall that I chaired about six Council meetings as previous non exec chair of the ECF and (if you think I did a reasonable job), could your organisation consider nominating me? Apologies that this request comes only 1 day before the close of nominations (13.30 on September 7th), until I just saw a request for another nomination I thought there was another week to go.

I am currently playing in the Paignton Congress - if you want to ask me any questions post them here and I will endeavour to answer them this evening.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:13 am

Think I've had 2 emails this morning asking for help getting people nominated. Sure do like to leave it to the last minute....

Not sure I can get in contact with relevant people in time, Mike, but I think you did an excellent job chairing meetings previously and think you would be a very good candidate for the role.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:16 am

benedgell wrote:Think I've had 2 emails this morning asking for help getting people nominated. Sure do like to leave it to the last minute....
Yes, it is a bit surprising

I've only seen 1 from Phil Ehr wanting nomination for Finance Director, which I thought was interesting
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:09 am

Mick Norris wrote: I've only seen 1 from Phil Ehr wanting nomination for Finance Director, which I thought was interesting
That presumably implies a contested election. Personality or policy?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:18 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: Personality or policy?

Which of these are you hoping for? It could be both: can you imagine that?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Phil Ehr wanting nomination for Finance Director, which I thought was interesting
He's listened to sensible forthright advice, and withdrawn

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 am

Time ticking ................
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:02 pm

David Robertson wrote: He's listened to sensible forthright advice, and withdrawn
Does he intend to make more public the various comments and opinions he expresses in his flyer to Council members?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:17 pm

John Reyes wrote:Time ticking ................
I'm aware of a 13:29 addition to those standing for election back in 2013 but suspect that was the exception rather than the norm.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:35 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
John Reyes wrote:Time ticking ................
I'm aware of a 13:29 addition to those standing for election back in 2013 but suspect that was the exception rather than the norm.
No insider dealing these days!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:57 am

Phil's election manifesto, as I don't like secrecy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:00 am

The other document is a bit more outspoken, I'm happy to email it on Monday to anyone who PMs me their email address - if Jack or Carl want to see it and decide whether it should be posted on here, that's fine

The relevance is of course about who Phil is supporting in the ECF elections, given that he has now withdrawn his own candidature

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:19 am

Mick Norris wrote:The other document is a bit more outspoken, I'm happy to email it on Monday to anyone who PMs me their email address - if Jack or Carl want to see it and decide whether it should be posted on here, that's fine

The relevance is of course about who Phil is supporting in the ECF elections, given that he has now withdrawn his own candidature
Better let me have a look to the usual address since even this still drags out the supposed plot.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard