Baku Congress

The very latest International round up of English news.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Baku Congress

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Sitting in Congress now. We are quorate, already an uptick from Tromso, although ENG is of course missing.

Kirsan has just sat down after a 45 minute speech, too long. He complains about his treatment by the US Treasury, where I think he gains a lot of sympathy, and compares his position with that of Bobby Fischer, probably less well advised.

Ian Wilkinson of Jamaica, who may or may not still be a Kasparov operative, is now ( I think ) attempting to introduce a motion of no confidence. The constitutional status is a bit unclear but he is certainly being allowed his full say.
Am confused. Was this Congress speech before or after this news broke?

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov applies for US citizenship

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:16 am

This is Chessbase's source.

http://tass.com/politics/899127

Kirsan's point is that he is in no way a fugitive from justice, all he wants is to go to Washington to clear his name and they won't let him in. He waved an envelope which he said contained the reply to his request to see the evidence they have against him. He said it consisted only of a few press cuttings, and I must say that I find this entirely consistent with the way the US Treasury operates.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:44 am

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:01 am

(See GA-2016/31)
Nigel Short tweeted

"2017 Women's Wrld Ch. awarded to Iran. Women forced to wear the Islamic hijab, flouting FIDE statutes against sex & religious discrimination"

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:46 pm

A member of this forum gets a mention:-
GA-2016/52. To approve the following as FIDE Honorary members:

- WGM Milunka Lazarevich (SRB)
- IA Philip Haley (CAN)
- IA, IO Ali-Nihat Yazici (TUR)
- IA, IO Stewart Reuben (ENG)
- IA Carol Jarecki (BVI)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Chris Rice wrote:(See GA-2016/31)
Nigel Short tweeted

"2017 Women's Wrld Ch. awarded to Iran. Women forced to wear the Islamic hijab, flouting FIDE statutes against sex & religious discrimination"
The initial question would be whether it is safe to go (and of course, if the answer isn't definitely yes, then you shouldn't be holding a chess event there)

UK government advice is caution needed

US advice is not to go

We have had this before (Gelfand and Libya if memory serves)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:16 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:(See GA-2016/31)
Nigel Short tweeted

The initial question would be whether it is safe to go (and of course, if the answer isn't definitely yes, then you shouldn't be holding a chess event there)

UK government advice is caution needed

US advice is not to go
Canadians would also be unwise to go, after the "Argo" movie - or maybe they wouldn't get visas.

I totally agree with Nigel that it's a disgrace. There should be a boycott.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:54 pm

Mick Norris wrote: Nigel Short tweeted

"2017 Women's Wrld Ch. awarded to Iran. Women forced to wear the Islamic hijab"

The initial question would be whether it is safe to go
In response to Nigel Short's tweet, the initial question would seem to be whether women players will indeed be forced to wear the hijab. Was this mentioned in their bid?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:18 am

NickFaulks wrote: In response to Nigel Short's tweet, the initial question would seem to be whether women players will indeed be forced to wear the hijab.
Whether mentioned in the bid isn't known. A well known blogger has already asked that question of FIDE.
http://lostontime.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/heads-up.html

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:35 am

It would be a really good idea if this was about women and not about Nigel Short.

What do women think about it? Women chessplayers, women chess journalists?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:00 am

JustinHorton wrote:It would be a really good idea if this was about women and not about Nigel Short.

What do women think about it? Women chessplayers, women chess journalists?
A couple of quotes in the Facebook thread started by Nigel:

"My "biggest" concern is the rules about room entering... Most of us will come with MALE coaches... According to Iranian rules women are not allowed to enter or vice versa, but to prepare in the lobby in public does not look like a solution to me neither...." Elizabeth Paehtz

"Of course, the main problem is not the dress code, it is the fact that players from Israel, US and other countries can't take part." Michal Krasenkow

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:41 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: Whether mentioned in the bid isn't known. A well known blogger has already asked that question of FIDE.
How could I have missed that? Slapped wrist.

I suppose everything now depends on the players themselves making a fuss. Unlike the Grand Prix, there are 64 players from all parts of the world. It would be nice to see some help from the ACP, but Sutovsky presumably supported this decision.

It's time for the Commission for Women's Chess, which contains some ambitious politicians, to present a view.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: Whether mentioned in the bid isn't known. A well known blogger has already asked that question of FIDE.
How could I have missed that? Slapped wrist.

I suppose everything now depends on the players themselves making a fuss. Unlike the Grand Prix, there are 64 players from all parts of the world. It would be nice to see some help from the ACP, but Sutovsky presumably supported this decision.

It's time for the Commission for Women's Chess, which contains some ambitious politicians, to present a view.
Article in the Telegraph "The world's top female chess players have reacted with horror after being told they must compete at next year's world championship wearing a hijab." and are lining up a boycott. Think that counts as making a fuss.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... imination/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Think that counts as making a fuss.

Not a fuss being made by the Commission for Women's Chess though, whose chairman, Susan Polgar, appears to go along with FIDE's decision.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:Think that counts as making a fuss.

Not a fuss being made by the Commission for Women's Chess though, whose chairman, Susan Polgar, appears to go along with FIDE's decision.
I saw her article expressing her personal opinion which seems to come down to a chance for her to play "dress up". It's not the kind of reaction I would have expected from someone in her position but she does at least acknowledge the fact that there might be an issue and invites women players to come forward if they object to the choice of host.

https://chessdailynews.com/response-to- ... p-in-iran/