Brexit in practise

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Brexit in practise

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Purchased 10 chess clocks yesterday, price quoted was £280, with discount. Similar purchases in February and June cost £235. Reason given: Brexit.

Roger Lancaster

Re: Brexit in practise

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:26 pm

Unsurprising since sterling effectively devalued ...

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:32 pm

On the other hand, I was paid for my arbiting services at the Olympiad in Euros, which meant I got more in sterling than I would pre-Brexit.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Purchased 10 chess clocks yesterday, price quoted was £280, with discount. Similar purchases in February and June cost £235. Reason given: Brexit.
Digital clocks? Sounds like a good price even now.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:On the other hand, I was paid for my arbiting services at the Olympiad in Euros, which meant I got more in sterling than I would pre-Brexit.
Unfortunately you may soon need a visa to earn them

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:20 pm

But Paul can't blame Brexit for a decline in spelling standards ;-)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:On the other hand, I was paid for my arbiting services at the Olympiad in Euros, which meant I got more in sterling than I would pre-Brexit.
Unfortunately you may soon need a visa to earn them
He needed one this time.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:24 pm

David Robertson wrote:But Paul can't blame Brexit for a decline in spelling standards ;-)
Whyever not?

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Purchased 10 chess clocks yesterday, price quoted was £280, with discount. Similar purchases in February and June cost £235. Reason given: Brexit.
Good to buy now anyway. Next spring it will be even worse after article 50. But do not worry, shortly afterwards there will be a flurry of British startup companies taking advantage of the low pound and producing competing digital clocks.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:00 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:Good to buy now anyway. Next spring it will be even worse after article 50. But do not worry, shortly afterwards there will be a flurry of British startup companies taking advantage of the low pound and producing competing digital clocks.
I appreciate the sarcasm, but the Shitters will take your statement at face value.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:41 pm

Glad my pokerstars account is in US $. May help if I play chess in the Isle of Mann.

Of course it is Richmond by election for me & despite suggesting that Lib dems may want to send their candidate around whose campaigning is that Zak is responsible for brexit. I think 3 days of closed schools for elections in an area where parents get charged £100 for taking children out of school is far too much. They ought to charge foreigners in dollars. Was very quiet overhead tonight so I just thought Heathrow may actually be closed due to fog/freezing.

Heathrow & M25 will be struggling for years - reckon that is a problem for local chess leagues & tournaments in the area.

Schools settlement is not cash neutral & likelihood of national funding formula with 20% cash going up north is an issue. Perhaps schools should put their funds into US banks. RBS having issues on stress checks.

I also think all that voluntary chess work hard with business rates likely to increase here by 45% - so expect a massive hike in any charges for use of premises before Brexit. From 1st April 2017.

Paul it looks like you have been sold a few pups but is there an English manufacturer of chess clocks?

Those ideas of chess/walking holidays abroad may have to be confined to Snowdonia, Lake district & Scottish Highlands. No I don not fancy the high costs on the coast now but will go up if behaviour from Brits abroad change.

Worst thing is having voting days in the referendum when it was complete deluge & flooding (more than 8 hours spent travelling to & from work) so some of us did not get to use our vote.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:38 am

Well, Zac Goldsmith is out. Conservatives may well get the seat back at the next election as it is such a small majority (less than 2000), but another minor upset in a year of upsets (Magnus bucking the trend!).

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:13 pm

Though he arguably tried quite hard not to :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Well, Zac Goldsmith is out. Conservatives may well get the seat back at the next election as it is such a small majority (less than 2000), but another minor upset in a year of upsets.
I'm not sure it is that much of an upset. A heartening way of looking at it is that the electorate are smart enough to know how to do deal with a rich tosser (with a lot of recent baggage) throwing his toys out of the pram. A by-election throws a spotlight on you (as does a mayoral election) in a way that a general election doesn't.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote:Good to buy now anyway. Next spring it will be even worse after article 50. But do not worry, shortly afterwards there will be a flurry of British startup companies taking advantage of the low pound and producing competing digital clocks.
I appreciate the sarcasm, but the Shitters will take your statement at face value.
I might be tempted to try a career in politics then ;-)