London Chess Classic British Knock-Out

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: London Chess Classic British Knock-Out

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:01 pm

I ended up giving about 20 autographs yesterday. IMs, it seems, are worth collecting the signatures of.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:05 pm

This is a duplicate thread, but I'll repeat my view this was entirely Short's decision. Howell played a sharp mainline, white has the responsibility to play for the advantage in such positions.

I've no problem with any player maximising their chances to win a match. I can understand why Short thought a rest day more benefit to him than a white.

If I was an organiser I might offer bonuses for playing combative chess, but I don't agree this ruined anyone's day.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Phil Morgan wrote:Amid the self-congratulation that surrounds the London Classic, we had the 10 move draw between Short and Howell in Game 2 of the final. This may be a support event, but their actions devalue the game and the competition, and shows a disregard for paying spectators, and chess fans like myself who were looking forward to following their game. I hope both players reflect on what happened. Each of them has done so much in their careers to promote interest in chess as a spectator sport. Phil Morgan
It's probably the first time I've seen either of these players take a quick draw and given that they had played 84 moves the day before and had hard fought matches on the previous two days I think the decision makes a lot of sense for both players. That said, had the possibility of a repetition not occurred then I'm sure we would have had a hard fought game rather than a quick handshake.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:31 pm

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:41 pm

To be fair, Paul, Loz would have been about 12 then, so may not have actually 'seen' that game...

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:56 pm

fair enough - but the point I'm making is Nigel - like most players - takes a short draw from time to time. I don't see anything wrong with it, or any reason to pretend it doesn't happen.

You can find examples where Loz was present if necessary.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Oh, there is also this:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-best-l ... ess-player

(Mickey Adams comes top of a beauty contest poll!)

Nigel said he was shattered. And apparently it is a grudge match between them (this may be slightly tongue-in-cheek).

Not much chess in that report!

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:34 pm

I think quick draws are an issue but i think in this circumstance both players were entitled to it due to the ridiculous exhasuting Knockout format.

I type this as someone who despises Nigel Short almost as much as I despise Michael Owen.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote: I type this as someone who despises Nigel Short almost as much as I despise Michael Owen.
How anyone who likes chess can proudly proclaim that they 'despise' a fellow player, less still a hard working professional, one of the finest players this country has ever produced, or is ever likely to produce, is beyond me.

And Michael Owen did score 'that' goal in the 1998 World Cup.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:53 am

Graham Borrowdale wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote: I type this as someone who despises Nigel Short almost as much as I despise Michael Owen.
How anyone who likes chess can proudly proclaim that they 'despise' a fellow player, less still a hard working professional, one of the finest players this country has ever produced, or is ever likely to produce, is beyond me.

And Michael Owen did score 'that' goal in the 1998 World Cup.
Ill reply by inbox...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:02 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Not much chess in that report!
The younger generation of arbiters are in charge for the FIDE open and parallel tournaments. The references to a "pancake party" suggests they are maintaining the long standing associations between arbiters and food.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:36 am

Graham Borrowdale wrote: How anyone who likes chess can proudly proclaim that they 'despise' a fellow player
How soon we forget.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Game 3 yesterday was quite interesting. David was winning at one point, but lost his bishop due to a back rank mate threat.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: British Knockout Championship

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Can the threads be merged, please?

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Chris

Do you think they will follow Adams-Topalov for a while?