2017 FIDE Women's World Championship (Tehran)

The very latest International round up of English news.
Andrew Bak

Re: 2017 FIDE Women's World Championship (Tehran)

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:54 am

Joshua Gibbs wrote:I don't know if anyone else has made this point because I am blind drunk, but I don't really think the winner of the FIDE Women's World championship deserves the Fide Grandmaster Title. She really won't have done enough in my eyes.
So winning the most prestigious tournament in the women's game which contains many GMs already and where the players are mostly at least 2400 strength isn't enough to earn the GM title?

Maybe you being blind drunk is the problem rather than the Women's champion's level of play...

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:33 am

Joshua Gibbs wrote:I don't know if anyone else has made this point because I am blind drunk, but I don't really think the winner of the FIDE Women's World championship deserves the Fide Grandmaster Title. She really won't have done enough in my eyes.
Three of the semi-finalists are established GMs, as are many others in the tournament. The fourth is within touching distance of the normal conditions for the title ( she would presumably have it already but for playing very little outside China ), and is she does hack her way through this field it will be an achievement of which the great majority of male GMs would be proud.

I'm sure the world's women players will learn to live with your low opinion of their ability.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 am

Joshua Gibbs wrote:I don't really think the winner of the FIDE Women's World championship deserves the Fide Grandmaster Title.
The complete table is on the FIDE site.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article

FIDE awards a number of titles as prizes. Awarding the GM title to the winner of the Women's World Cup is one of the justifiable ones. The effect of the Regulations can mean that relatively weak players representing smaller countries at Olympiads can gain FM and CM titles despite a lifetime of never being anywhere near the required rating.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:The effect of the Regulations can mean that relatively weak players representing smaller countries at Olympiads can gain FM and CM titles despite a lifetime of never being anywhere near the required rating.
As readers of the General Assembly minutes will know, a proposal to correct this is currently ( six months later ) awaiting the approval of the Presidential Board - who are, and for good reason, specifically debarred by the Statutes from any decisions relating to the Title Regulations.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 am

Another outing for must-win-with-Black, and another Sicilian
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:36 pm

And another loss; so Anna Muzychuk goes through to the final with 2 wins
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:04 pm

QUICK - live

Harika-Tan has come down to K+B+N v K ending from move 117 - at 30-sec increments

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 pm

David Robertson wrote:QUICK - live

Harika-Tan has come down to K+B+N v K ending from move 117 - at 30-sec increments
Not sure Harika knows what she's doing.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:12 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Three of the semi-finalists are established GMs, as are many others in the tournament. The fourth is within touching distance of the normal conditions for the title ( she would presumably have it already but for playing very little outside China ), and is she does hack her way through this field it will be an achievement of which the great majority of male GMs would be proud.

I'm sure the world's women players will learn to live with your low opinion of their ability.
Ive sobered up.

Its not their ability its the structure of the tournament in my eyes. The fact that there are no men in it doesn't seem appropriate as "grandmaster" is a mixed gender title and this isnt a mixed gender tournament?

It seems that winning in a female only tournament shouldn't guarantee one a mixed gender title.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
David Robertson wrote:QUICK - live

Not sure Harika knows what she's doing.
Seems pretty clear she doesn't. Oh, this could be embarrassing. Nervous as a kitten; exhausted; win needed to stay alive. Oh, the stress!

Move 143 (26/50) and Harika has finally got Tan into the right corner. But does she know 'the cage' now?

Nigel Short made me do this ending, blindfold, over dinner a decade back!

Oh goodness me, my heart is breaking for her. She hasn't a clue, poor woman.

Phew! 1-0 in 163 (three moves left!)
Last edited by David Robertson on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:21 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:
So winning the most prestigious tournament in the women's game which contains many GMs already and where the players are mostly at least 2400 strength isn't enough to earn the GM title?

Maybe you being blind drunk is the problem rather than the Women's champion's level of play...
As I said to Nick, I think the winner of a single gender tournament shouldn't get a mixed gender title.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Found it with two moves to spare. Or just having a laugh?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:32 pm

David Robertson wrote:Oh goodness me, my heart is breaking for her. She hasn't a clue, poor woman.
Maybe the chess gods heard you?

Dronavilli "just in time" Harika?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Tiebreak is under way; I think black may wish she had played a different move 11

Harika, Dronavalli vs Tan, Zhongyi
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:11 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Tiebreak is under way; I think black may wish she had played a different move 11

Harika, Dronavalli vs Tan, Zhongyi
If Zhongyi didnt resign shed be mated with an F8 and that cant happen.